The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding ideas for OTTB in training - mid state NY

I've decided to seek an alternate place for my OTTB. After several successful years on the track, he is currently being retrained by me, with guidance from a couple of trainers both on and off site. He's currently at a barn convenient to me, but it is not a good fit.

I am looking around Rte 20 - south of Utica, west of Albany. I live north of Cooperstown. If I can trust that he is in good hands, am willing to drive up to an hour. I ride/work with him almost daily. But if he has adequate turnout, I might give myself a day off occasionally.

Prefer a place that is very familiar with Thoroughbreds, and with down to earth comraderie and love for horses, rather than barn drama. It does not have to be a big boarding facility - nice backyard barn is fine. Am a reriding former H/J rider who has been around horses most of my life. My goal was possibly retraining him for H/J, but he may end up being a trail horse. Bottom line is, however, that I will be doing what is best for this horse.

Will need some kind of ring, as he is still mindful. But key is adequate turnout. IDEAL would be a stall with his own paddock, or shared turnout with another gelding. He loves to play, and seems to get knocked around when turned out with more than one.

B is great on the ground, very smart, personable and happens to be darn good looking as well . I am conscientious, thoughtful, friendly, glad to fill in, or keep an eye on things occasionally, and pay my bills on time. No drama please.

I am also going to start hoofing it and driving the local roads, but welcome any suggestions. My vet and blacksmith are from around the Albany area. Thanks!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Horse Stable Review may be able to help. Also try Yelp (can be surprisingly helpful).
    HorseStableReview.com - Tell others what you know! Post your barn or review today.

Sent you a PM!