The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
    i'm not so sure about that. doesn't the christian creation myth state that humans and animals were created whole cloth and appeared on Earth all at once, in their current form? how can you reconcile the two?
    Yes, the hardest form of the Creation Story comes from Genesis. And 19th-century biblical scholars found more than one translation of the Bible, so there are slight variations in the order of things.

The professionalization of biology in the second half of the 19th-century, and the success of the physical sciences before that... while folks were doing "Natural Theology" where you looked for insights about God in the appearance of nature, set the stage for an enormous and quite serious contest for authority.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Yes.

Count on it. Bet on it. Too bad you won't be there. Too bad currency won't exist any more. But if you can find some post-Apocalypse endzone to do a dance in, I suggest you get nekkid and let 'er rip.

Celebrate your having been right because you'll die of radiation sickness or starvation or heinous mano-a-mano fighting with your species surrounded by toilet seat saddles and bugs.
    LOL, back in the 60's when we had the duck and cover drills in schools, my fathers mantra (we lived not too far from Washington in the Maryland burbs)...drive towards the light.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    And another cool evolutionary feature: Fetal hemoglobin. That shizzle binds to oxygen more strongly than does adult hemoglobin. Momma can be jonesing for oxygen and her unborn offspring will take what it can, first.
    And fetal hemoblobin is protective in sickle cell anemia! That's why some current therapies try to shift adult Hb back to HbF.....

Another fun adaptation... hepcidin. Hepcidin is the master regulator of iron processing. It used to be thought of as an anti-microbial and indeed was initially called HAMP or hepatic anti-microbial protein. What it really is, is an iron regulator. Increased hepcidin level leads to sequestration of iron in the RE cells of the body. In the case of infection, reducing available iron starves the microbes and allows the host to survive an infection. What it also does is cause anemia because the host does not get any iron (even though the body has a lot of iron stored). So then you have Anemia of Chronic Disease or Anemia of Inflammation as is is called these days. So the host makes itself anemic (non-fatal) to prevent a fatal infection. Infection goes away and host recovers from anemia. pretty cool!
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Hey, glad you bumped it, I missed it the first go around.

I watched a tv program about mermaids. Yes it was a stretch for the imagination, but they touched on something that made me go "uhhehh?" It was about a village somewhere in Africa (??) and dolphins helped the fishermen by driving fish into the bay. Also, supposedly there have been sharks and whales harvested that had very strange knives embedded in them.

So my long winded question is: is it possible some form of man became water bound rather than land?
    One of my favorite books is The Descent of Woman, by I think, Robin Morgan. Theorizes about a stage when people lived close to/in the water and the influence of females on evolution. Sadly may be out of print ....edit....maybe not!

http://www.amazon.com/Descent-Woman-...der_0285627007

Why are male/female brains different, and is it just the structure that makes them different? Backstory: I was a huge believer in social construction/nurture over nature until I had two boys and went through menopause--AND watched a person I love go from male to female as an adult. I watched the ability to focus/compartmentalize lesson (and the ability to empathize and think relationally increase) as this person took female hormones/surpressed male hormones. I watched my boys go from sweet to distant and unable to relate two things. And I have gone from caring to yelling a lot. So maybe this is less about brain physiology and more about hormones.....but still, why are we so different?
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarmette View Post
    One of my favorite books is The Descent of Woman, by I think, Robin Morgan. Theorizes about a stage when people lived close to/in the water and the influence of females on evolution. Sadly may be out of print ....edit....maybe not!

http://www.amazon.com/Descent-Woman-...der_0285627007
    Never seen it. Got a synopsis for us?

Females have been (begrudgingly) given a credit for driving evolution mainly in scenarios where sexual selection has a greater effect than natural selection.

She who does the picking gets to set the standards for males' reproductive success.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Kairoshorses View Post
    Why are male/female brains different, and is it just the structure that makes them different? Backstory: I was a huge believer in social construction/nurture over nature until I had two boys and went through menopause--AND watched a person I love go from male to female as an adult. I watched the ability to focus/compartmentalize lesson (and the ability to empathize and think relationally increase) as this person took female hormones/surpressed male hormones. I watched my boys go from sweet to distant and unable to relate two things. And I have gone from caring to yelling a lot. So maybe this is less about brain physiology and more about hormones.....but still, why are we so different?
    First, I'm with you with respect to social construction... even of the divide between nature and nurture. Oh, yeah, and just who creates all of these compelling accounts of nature as well as the standards for sorting good scientific explanations from bad ones? It's tautological when a species creates it's own origin myth at best. At worst (and as is usually the case), the powerful members among that species control the terms of interpretation.

Which brings me to your topic-- finding a material (physical) basis for cognitive stuff. A very old question-- goes way back to the Enlightenment at least. And with evolution plus ambient sexism layered over that project, it's gosh darn hard to find really good, objective ideas.

I couldn't begin to sort out the effects of personal history, brain function and hormones' effect on the behavior traits you saw change. But it's cool that you can sort out the possible causes.

Other tidbits to consider:

Is menopause an evolutionary adaptation or a side-effect of something else?

The best men were raised to treat pets well, particularly cats.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mojo7777 View Post
    BIG laugh out loud on this one!

My dumb question: How did humans evolve such big craniums when it makes childbirth so risky for the mother? Seems like smaller craniums would select out because mom/baby would survive--over the larger craniumed, more intelligent.
    Or at least pointed ones would make it easier!

OP, you haven't read the Descent of Woman? This is going to be a bad synopsis because I read it when I was 17, but here goes: We evolved as estuarine/marine/aquatic mammals with the greatest impact a result of female survival.

There's quite a bit about why we are hairless, why we have beaky noses, why we stand upright, why we have a poor sense of smell but good color vision. If W = the coefficient of fitness it pretty much covers how we survived and prospered and has some good arguments, at least in counterpoint to the Naked Ape which was out at the same time.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible