The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Talking Horse shopping update--UPDATED! He is HOME and he is MINE! (p.4)

I've been fairly discouraged with my horse shopping (to say the least); I have a limited budget, which makes finding something suitable challenging. Far from impossible, but challenging. Going out and seeing horses (that nearly all seem to be at least an hour away) is complicated by my home life: I have 6yro and 2yro sons, and leaving them under hubby's charge for 3+ hours on the weekend while I wave a "See yuh! I'm off to see a horsey that may be a total mismatch!" is a bit...yeah. BUT, we have different spring breaks this year--so I get a week to myself while hubby works and the boys go to school (the 2yro is in a Montessori preschool/daycare).

WHEE! I'M FREE TO SEE HORSEYS! This horseless crap BUHLOWS.

Tomorrow, I go to Cal Poly Pomona (just 5-10min from my house--why didn't I call them earlier?) to peruse the taller, older (older to them is 9-10yrs) Kellogg Arabian geldings that have already come up through their breeding, training, and showing program. Two of the three sound unlikely to me (one has a slipping patella--um, pass), but I do really like this guy, at least by description. Sound, healthy, kind, thoroughly trained in HP (showed at Scottsdale in his younger years and did well, not spectacular, but well). He's 15.2-15.3, too, which suits my 5'7" curvy frame (not overweight, but well...the babies changed my shape, shall we say )

I'm also seeing this handsome Arab/QH cross who grew too tall and lanky for the breeder's reining program. He's broke, sound, kind (a bit more easy going than they wanted in their reiners, too), and adorable. He's also priced to sell, negotiable to a good home which they feel (by description) we would be.

I'm kiiiiiiiiiinda hoping one of these boys (or, heck, perhaps one of the other CP horses will surprise me) will be My New Man (sorry hubby!) and I'll be hitching up my trailer Tuesday to take him home. I'd do the PPE ASAP, of course.

Whoop de hopefully whoo!
    Last edited by Lauruffian; Apr. 13, 2012 at 07:33 PM.

Drooling over the Kellogg gelding....

Best of luck.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

I've made an offer, but am waiting a response. I'll let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by HeartsongHorses View Post
    Drooling over the Kellogg gelding....
    WANT to drool over him, but the flash player isn't compatible with my Iphone. Siri! WTH??? Lol.

OP, what are ur plans with said man of your dreams?

GAH! THEY ACCEPTED MY OFFER!! (The bay Kellogg gelding CP Trilogy) *faints* Trying...to contain...excitement...until after...PPE... ...yearrgggh! YAY!

Neigh-Neigh, he and I will have hunter pleasure adventures together. Some local shows, certainly, maybe some ammie shows if I'm feeling brave. This boy went--and PLACED--at Scottsdale as a 6yro, so he is very BTDT. He also will be a trail/overall fun riding companion, as well as a friendly pet (terrific ground manners, very quiet, gentle) for my two young sons who miss being at the barn.

But...must...await...PPE... <implode>

Last edited by Lauruffian; Apr. 11, 2012 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauruffian View Post
    I've made an offer, but am waiting a response. I'll let you know!
    Which one did you make an offer on? Both gorgeous. My 1st horse was 1/2arab 1/2Qh
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

You can't go wrong with double Bask. He'll fly thru the PPE.

He's a beautiful boy!

GAH! THEY ACCEPTED MY OFFER!! (The bay Kellogg gelding CP Trilogy) *faints* Trying...to contain...excitement...until after...PPE... ...yearrgggh! YAY!

Neigh-Neigh, he and I will have hunter pleasure adventures together. Some local shows, certainly, maybe some ammie shows if I'm feeling brave. This boyH went--an PLACED--at Scottsdale as a 6yro, so he is very BTDT. He also will be a trail/overall fun ridding companion, as well as a friendly pet (terrific ground manners, very quiet, gentle) for my two young sons who missE being at the barn.

But...must...await...PPE... <implode>

Oh cool! I guess we were posting at the same time. Good luck with the PPE!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

THUD: I faint with you!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Wow, wow, wow!!!! I hope this works out for both of you. What an elegant horse. The word beautiful doesn't quite describe him, how about "beyond lovely"?

Way back in the 70's I did a tour of Cal Poly. Later in the tour there was a demonstration with their Arabs. So cool.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Congratulations! What a gorgeous boy!

What a stunner! Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for smooth sailing in the PPE!

My heart broke for you after reading about the loss of your mare. Now, I'm so very excited for you!!! Good luck and fingers crossed all goes well with the PPE!!!
    She who cares the least wins.....

Fingers crossed for you. He's beautiful!

I'm also seeing this handsome Arab/QH cross who grew too tall and lanky for the breeder's reining program. He's broke, sound, kind (a bit more easy going than they wanted in their reiners, too), and adorable. He's also priced to sell, negotiable to a good home which they feel (by description) we would be.
    One of the most talented and neat horses I've ever ridden was a horse that was reining bred grew too big for the job.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

YAY!!! Gorgeous boy!! Crossing my fingers for the PPE to go well!!

Thank you all!! Trilogy is gorgeous and a HECKuva mover, but I should share he does have splints (3+ years old, cold, healed, sound) on the inside of his knees due to (IMO) him being a bit over conformationally. However, he was perfectly sound, and they told me he never took a lame step when those splints popped (and they were SO forthright and honest about every horse, I believed them). But hopefully the vet will confirm what I suspect/hope--watch them, supplement him, wrap him, and we should be able to maintain.

What's unique about the Cal Poly horses is the manager/horse dealer/trainer (he's all in one) already has his salary paid; it doesn't matter how much they get for these older geldings. It's all about reputation. They run a breeding/training/showing facility (and offer a bachelor's in equine science, which can be used as pre-vet), so these "older" (and by "older" they mean 8-10 years) geldings are essentially done with their programs. They're cared for and still ridden a few times a week, but are in essence back burner horses as the babies are starting to show up and the 3yros need breaking, and so on. BUT they don't advertise ANY horses for sale--you contact them, show up, and they screen you as much as you're screening the horses, heh. That's what it felt like to me, at least. When things went well, the manager reassured me (repeatedly) that "any reasonable offer" would be considered. My offer--which I thought was almost insultingly low--was accepted, much to my jaw drop.

This low price frees up cash so I can trailer him to a local HP Arab trainer who will help me learn how to ride him properly. (HE doesn't need training--my friend who went with me, who happens to be a carded-but-nonpractising Arab judge, said he could be on the A circuit like, now.) He is a MUCH more refined, finished horse than my mare was, which means I'm not sure how to make him do what they got him to do. He is very different than my old girl, both in movement and in how he is ridden. (Ana was my princess and the pea about every little touch--this guy is very, meh.) A bit into my test ride, the manager came out and gave me tips, and WHAMMO suddenly I'm riding a Scottsdale veteran! Holeeee crap can he move! He was such a good schoolmaster--*that's* what really sold him (well, that and his calm, gentle disposition). He will help me improve as a rider by leaps and bounds.

EXCITING!!!!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Oooohhhh! He's gorgeous! Please update ASAP. Another with fingers crossed the PPE goes slick as can be. And please don't change that name, I love it! Good luck
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"