The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Comfortable bridles?

I'm on a search for a comfy bridle for my sensitive ottb filly. Right now I'm using the only bridle I have that fits her and it's a cheap schooling bridle that is very stiff. She isn't pleased with the stiffness and she's getting increasingly more unhappy with it on both her pole and her nose. She isn't big on nose bands period though. She does loosen up eventually but she's very stiff through her head and neck. I'm trying to keep it at $200-250. She was just vetted and teeth where just done and she was given a rave review from the vet.

The Vespucci's are really nice and very well padded! They do fit kind of big and will stretch, because of the really soft leather. It's the only bridle I will use on my uber sensitive ottb.

Smile Smartpak Bridles

The Smartpak bridles come out pretty soft with the initial oiling, from what I have read of their reviews.

I got one for Christmas and I was very impressed with the quality of the leather on the Harwich. In addition, the padding on the crown piece, browband, and the noseband seemed very soft and comfortable.

Good Luck in your search!

You could always get a nice leather race bridle. This will emphasize her heritage and you won't look like everyone else. It will last forever and you'll have $100+ change...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

The Dy'on bridles are beautiful with padded crown pieces and gorgeous brass fittings. My boy loves his!

Gotta second the Vespucci bridles! My guy has issues in his poll and he goes LOVELY in this bridle! Such soft leather too

I have a vespucci for schooling, its ok...but not worth the price in my opinion. I have an aramas for a show bridle, its also padded on the crown, cheaper than the vespucci and MUCH better quality leather, butter soft.

I love my $40 Premier bridle from Schneiders. My thin skinned Arab finds it comfortable. They're surprisingly nice and supple for the price. I know people who show in them.

Thanks for all the suggestions! She also likes to cock her head to the side. She just seems over all fussy. Since she's young I just ignore it and work on getting her coming through from behind but if I can make her happier with a different bridle I will.

What discipline do you ride? If jumpers you could get a Micklem, they are FABULOUS for fussy mares.....

Jennifer

I haven't locked into a discipline with this girl yet. Just letting her tell me what she enjoys. My mare I just retired was a hunter, hence why I'm here, but I also enjoy eventing and dressage. I'm flexible, so I just want to hang out with this sweetheart of a girl and do what she wants lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticgirl View Post
    The Dy'on bridles are beautiful with padded crown pieces and gorgeous brass fittings. My boy loves his!
    But way out of the OP's price range. I would avoid Vespucci's, not worth the money IMO, they stretch and leak glue. I would try the Smartpak bridles. A friend bought the M. Toulouse Platinum padded bridle and I was surprised at how soft and supple the leather is, plus your sensitive mare might like the comfort crown too. http://intecperformancegear.com/M.-T...pid-4027p.html

Love Love Love Kieffer Bridles....

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I agree with BAC about the Vespucci bridles - although I've never had one personally, I've seen a few that friends purchased and was unimpressed, not to mention there have been quite a few threads on here complaining about poor quality/customer service issues.

You might want to check PTO for good quality bridles at discount prices - Rebecca often has lovely tack and her service is excellent. That way you might find a top quality (Antares, CWD, AdT) bridle that is still in your price range. Bridles are one of those items where you really do tend to get what you pay for, and if your horse is very sensitive, it's worth getting tack that she is comfortable in. My super sensitive guy does very well with his Antares bridle, and I'd certainly recommend them. If you are persistent you can probably find a used headstall at or near the price you specified, even if you have to put a less expensive brand of reins on it.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

The Micklem is a very comfortable bridle for a TB. It is unconventional looking (thus probably not suitable for showing hunters) but my somewhat fussy TB mare likes it better than the other bridles I tried with her (Jerry's Harness, Arc de Triomphe, and an inexpensive Dover bridle).
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    What discipline do you ride? If jumpers you could get a Micklem, they are FABULOUS for fussy mares.....

Jennifer
    Fussy geldings, too Mine went in one for a while before switching back to a regular cavesson.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I lucked into a used Bobby's with a wider nose band for my long headed TB. It came out of the box butter soft and we have loved it since!
    And nothing bad happened!

The higher end Bobby's are very soft.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I was about to say, I bought a Bobby's and LOVE it. Finally, something that fits my horse's wide forehead and doesn't pinch his ears.

I have a fussy/sensitive mare and I too LOVE my Harwich from Smartpak bridle, as does she! Huge change in her happiness/willingness to work in it! Highly recommended, nice price, beautiful bridle.
    a twist in my story <3