The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Experienced breeders! - older broodmare

At day 338! Mama is 23 this year. What, in your experience, has been different with older, experienced mares? Anything I should be watchful of? Obviously her weight, she's on 15 lbs of tc growth and on a probiotic and calcium phos supplement with unlimited orchard/ alfalfa. Any tips/ advice?

ulcers...you may want to try some U7. Stress of nursing and putting up with a rowdy boy gave my girl ulcers and led to several bouts of mild colic.
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

don't waste your money on breeding early in the season and short cycling. I like old bloodlines so have generally have old mares. They "take" better on their natural breeding cycle and after they have a cycle or 2 under their belts.

Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    don't waste your money on breeding early in the season and short cycling. I like old bloodlines so have generally have old mares. They "take" better on their natural breeding cycle and after they have a cycle or 2 under their belts.
    Do you know why this is? What do you consider 'old'? Mine is 16 this year. Why does short cycling not work as well in them?

Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    Possibly good advice but the mare in the OP is already pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablitospebbles View Post
    At day 338! Mama is 23 this year. What, in your experience, has been different with older, experienced mares? Anything I should be watchful of? Obviously her weight, she's on 15 lbs of tc growth and on a probiotic and calcium phos supplement with unlimited orchard/ alfalfa. Any tips/ advice?
    I have not had any added problems with the older mares in delivery and you already mentioned the weight issue. My issues with older mares are before the point you are already at: getting them in foal and having tilted uterus/windsucking/need for Caslicks and fluid retention issues more often that increase the risk of infection. To me an older mare is 16+.