The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Thorpe.

And it's much easier to get to the Olympics when as part of the deal, you do not have to maintain and train a bunch of expensive, half-ton prey animals who are inclined to break themselves at inopportune moments.

If you actually read up on Olympic equestrian events history, you'll see that there has always been money needed to make it to the Games. Early on, our competitors were in the Calvary, so they and their horses were supported by the US taxpayers. Imagine how that would go over these days! Later, in the heyday of the "amateur rule", there were wealthy patrons who bought horses for The Team and helped support the riders, many of whom were wealthy themselves. These days... to make a go of it financially, a top rider needs wealthy sponsors and/or a lucrative training business (which then interferes with the rider's ability to train.)
    I could very well be wrong, but I think the big difference between then and now is not the cost at the top of the sport, but rather the cost to even get in the game.

I know this isn't dressage, but the 2008 Olympic gold medalist in show jumping was Eric Lamaze. There is a guy who may have money, sponsors and connections now, but the stories you hear about his childhood are quite astonishing. He really did come from nothing. His incredible talent allowed him to work his way up and rise to where he is today.

I just don't think you are going to see that any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravencrest_Camp View Post

I know this isn't dressage, but the 2008 Olympic gold medalist in show jumping was Eric Lamaze. There is a guy who may have money, sponsors and connections now, but the stories you hear about his childhood are quite astonishing. He really did come from nothing. His incredible talent allowed him to work his way up and rise to where he is today.

I just don't think you are going to see that any more.
    Oh, I never meant to say that someone from a modest background couldn't make it. Just that, by the time someone's riding at the Olympic or near-Olympic level, they have money, sponsors, connections etc.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine