The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "how-to" books, videos, etc. for classic in-hand work..?

Does anyone know of some good how-to sources for classic in hand work?

My horse is super busy-minded and still very green so I am wanting to try some new fun and productive stuff to do with him so he doesn't get bored. I was thinking some classic in-hand stuff would be a great place to start!

Thanks so much in advance!
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves
    "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver

Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.2h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

^^^ thats a really good book.

I personally prefer this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Schooling-Hors...3589201&sr=1-5

especially as there is a DVD floating around too that is a companion to the book and makes things much clearer and much more beginner friendly. In hand work is far trickier than it appears, your posture, body language and remembering to keep your eyes up when you're guiding your horse someplace (ie shoulder in down the wall) is really important.

This book here is on long reining, http://www.amazon.com/Long-Reining-T...3589374&sr=1-1
    which I think really helps mix things up. Sometimes in hand work can get a little intense if you and the horse are both trying really hard and not quite getting it, so its nice to take a little break and send the horse out to stretch his legs and everyone take a deep breath.

I originally blew it off, (seems hoity toity at first) but I've reread it and come to really appreciate it. Not sure why its suddenly so pricey though, I bought mine at cover price just a few years ago.

Just has a lot of nice exercises including jumping, but mostly it really explains everything quite clearly, step by step.
    “I am sorry negativity, I have no time for you. I have far too many positive things to do.”

Hi!
    If you are interested in Baucher, Jean Claude Racinets book "Another Horsemanship" is wonderful!!! One of his students, Lisa Maxwell, made a video to complement the book: http://www.learningjoyresources.com/...Classical.html

I keep referring back to both the book and the DVD and they have really helped my horse. I felt that I wasn't able to grasp everything in the book until I saw the DVD, they truly do go together. My horse is also a very busy minded (ADD!), and he tends to lock up in the jaw/TMJ and neck when he gets anxious. Using the flexions, really keeps him relaxed & soft.

Good luck

thanks guys so much!!! I ordered a new library of stuff thanks!!! I will be doing a lot of this summer! as well as trail riding. The best thing I could've done for my horse was take 20 steps back, call in a chiro and go back to the basics. He's doing so well!!! Hopefully we'll find more fun stuff to do with this stuff.

Tanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post

Agreed on this one. I worked with Kip before she moved to the Bay area and found both the book and her help very useful. I'm not as dedicated to in-hand work as I could be, but use some with both horses and plan to use it with my hypothetical future unstarted baby.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I am pretty sure I have a whole new library now can't wait to get these in the mail....

sooo excited!

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    This book here is on long reining, http://www.amazon.com/Long-Reining-T...3589374&sr=1-1
    which I think really helps mix things up. Sometimes in hand work can get a little intense if you and the horse are both trying really hard and not quite getting it, so its nice to take a little break and send the horse out to stretch his legs and everyone take a deep breath.

I originally blew it off, (seems hoity toity at first) but I've reread it and come to really appreciate it. Not sure why its suddenly so pricey though, I bought mine at cover price just a few years ago.

Just has a lot of nice exercises including jumping, but mostly it really explains everything quite clearly, step by step.
    WTH why is it so expensive????

I would google it and see if you can find it somewhere else... I find it hard to believe that it should cost that much!!!
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.2h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"