The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default pony harness - could it be made by someone who makes draft harness?

Just wondering - the guy I took the driving clinic from (and today's lesson) makes his own harness for his Fat Chicks (his term of endearment for them). He mentioned today that he has never made pony harness, and was idly wondering if he should get into that area. (Not trying to sell me harness; we were just shooting the breeze while grooming the horse post-drive.)

That made me wonder - is there anything special about harness for minis / ponies/ light horses / draft horses? Or are harness makers just harness makers, and if they're good at making one size, they're good at making any size? Or do they tend to specialize?
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

I dont think any of them "specialize" in a size, especially if they make to order. They may just have sizes they prefer to make.

What you will find are makers that specialize in different types of harness. Work harness, parade harness, pleasure harness, show harness, marathon type harness, racing harness... You'll find a lot of amish harness makers will make either racing harness or work harness. A rare few will make a really nice pleasure or show harness. Some makers like a parade type harness, or draft show harness with all the metal decorations thrown in.

He might have a learning curve going from drafts to ponies and a few trial and error attempts at getting the strapping the right proportions and refined without being too fine in the places that matter... etc... But otherwise, it's all designed the same depending on what type of harness you are looking at.

Thanks, bfz.

The poor little guy has no idea what joys await him!

(The pony, I mean, not the harness maker!)

http://www.chimacumtack.com/index.html

http://www.nikkisponyexpress.com/AmishHarness.html

These are just 2 example of harness sellers who deal in pony sizes of pleasure and work type harnesses

I know the PA Amish harness maker we use does Pony sizes of harness

why re-invent the wheel (so to speak)
    get a decent harness from someone who has the patterns to cut your harness to the correct size

But Id make sure to talk with them and get the harness sized for your animal and check on their return/ sizing policy

I know our harness maker will exchange readily anything she has in stock but if you are asking for a special order - its not so easy

Quote Originally Posted by Drive NJ View Post
    http://www.chimacumtack.com/index.html

http://www.nikkisponyexpress.com/AmishHarness.html

These are just 2 example of harness sellers who deal in pony sizes of pleasure and work type harnesses
    Thanks for those links. I've been to both those sites before. The WebGoddess in me has trouble seeing past the horrible site design to get to the necessary info about the products.

I kind of like the stuff on this page, though - seems to be very customizable. Sooooo many pieces...

1 members found this post helpful.