The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I have to write a post specific to this stallion.
    I JUST got the video in the mail. It is one of the NICEST TB stallions I have EVER seen. Maybe THE nicest. People you don't know what you are missing if you are interested in breeding! This is a MUST see for avid TB breeders! I am really really excited and am going to breed one mare to him for sure!

I have to write a post specific to this stallion.
    I JUST got the video in the mail. It is one of the NICEST TB stallions I have EVER seen. Maybe THE nicest. People you don't know what you are missing if you are interested in breeding! This is a MUST see for avid TB breeders! I am really really excited and am going to breed one mare to him for sure!

It's funny that you brought this particular stallion up. I just received the stallion issue (yep, weeks later) and was quite surprised to see so few TB stallions. And "A Fine Romance" was about the only one that really caught my eye.
    I will probably inquire about him the first part of next week, especially since Jasprin passed away.
    What's happening with all the TB stallions...are there any classy ones out there, like "A Fine Romance"???

I love Absolut, he has a strong reputation for producing awesome hunters. I sold my foal quickly. EK Spatz I have offspring by, but they never advertise in the Chronicle. I have a lovely foal also by Just The Best, he is DWB/TB cross. (The closest I have come to breeding to a WB). Off the top of my head I can't think of any other TB stallions I admire. Needless to say, I am VERY happy to have gotten this tape. I really am a TB person. I am breeding back to Just The Best, the same mare. I would love to breed back to Absolut and may with that mare, and the one that has had a bunch of EK foals I am going to breed to "A Fine Romance", I am truly excited!

Can I see him anywhere online?

thank you very much for the kind words. It's been a tough day around here with all the cold and snow (I'm sure many of you can relate to this) and reading this has cheered me up!
    Our farm website is under construction and should be up soon.
    Thanks again.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Fred, I emailed you last week about your beautiful stallion. I am excited to hear so many great things about him. Hoping to have a video in my box when I get back to Virginia. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Justbay, are you Robin?

Happy New Year everyone.
    there is a racing saying that one can never be depressed when there is a good 2 year old in the barn... for me, when winter hits and feels like it will never go away, what helps me get through it is going out and looking at my pregnant broodmares. With their big giant bellies holding so much promise, it is also a promise of spring to come...and SO MUCH to look forward to. All the best to you all, fellow breeders.

Fred in Canada...could I have a video too? Email me at KarinES1@aol.com for my address.

Thanks,
    Karin

Dont forget about me first! keep his book open til my mares are bred!

Yes! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hello Jane Ervin:

Really pleased to read your endorsement this morning. I have two TB mares who have both had Rio Grande babies and one is in foal again to him. I would dearly love to breed my open mare to A Fine Romance this year and have only hesitated due to the "live cover" requirement for Thoroughbreds. The mare in question does not trailer well and the 2 1/2 hour ride might not fair well. I know the jockey club was thinking of allowing AI but I don't know if there has been any changes. Anybody know??
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

I think he is a nice looking horse and am curious about what exactly do you like about him? His conformation, way of going, mind/brainpower, pedigree, racing record/performance record?? All of these?

I have only seen the picture from the link that is listed on one of the posts -- he looks nice -- I am just trying to expand the conversation beyond that.

I think that there are more nice TB stallions out there than people realize, but it is hard for a TB stallion owner to stand up to the warmblood registries, performance testing, and the ability to track show ring performance of offspring.

Who knows the pedigrees of the Tbs that were in the Olympics? Who knows the pedigrees of the WBs in the Olympics? Whose fault is that? Why is this info not easily available? Why don't all horse mags provide pedigree info for all the big names they write about? They could summarize it on one page in the back of the mag -- doesn't have to be in the article.

Yes, the TBs can go to the performance testing of some registries, but since many are OTT, they get a later start in show ring life, and have more to make up -- some of those young WBs are bred at 3 -- most TBs are still racing at that age (mine raced until he was 7 1/2 and started his show career at 9 -- he would have been 13 by the time his first offspring were even started under saddle and in the show ring -- if I bred him when he was 9).

Also, not all OTT TB's transfer ownership with bloodlines known, so the WBs have another advantage in tracking performance. Also, with the restriction of live cover only, the Jockey Club has severely restricted non-racing breeding -- buyers want the registration papers and you can't have Jockey Club papers with AI in TBs.

I gelded my guy (a well-bred, black-type stakes winner of almost $100,000 who also won ribbons in hunter classes at the few shows I have taken him to -- and he could have been ISR approved on his racing record alone--if I paid the huge fee) but did keep frozen semen for future use (when he retires I will find a nice mare to create my next horse!). Why did I geld him at 11? I don't have the time or money to promote and show him, and this way he gets to hang out in pasture -- something he had never done before. He still needs to learn herd dynamics -- he doesn't realize that he is supposed to be afraid of the pasture bully, he just ambles along visiting and eating with everyone.

Again, the TB mentioned is a nice looking horse, I would love to know everyone's detailed opinion of him.

Yes, I hope that the PHR starts to gain speed, and hopefully help promote some TB stallions.

Just rambling.

LisaH Guest

Having helped school A Fine Romance in dressage, I would also echo others in their praise of him as a stallion. I found him fun to ride, he could be playful as a stallion sometimes is wont but absolutely unflappable. The arena roof could be collapsing in a blizzard and he would just continue on in his job. Young horses playing up didn't bother him but when a particularly fine looking mare was in the arena he certainly knew how to show off while still minding his manners.

I am be interested in following any offspring of his as performance horses.

OK, I love my TBs first off. Secondly, people that are NOT knowledgeable about breeding like to discuss pedigree in terms of GRANDSIRE and GRANDDAM. That is DILUTED breeding. A million people have say Secretariat Grandsons! What makes a TB stallion attractive to me is his OWN PERFORMANCE RECORD, Horse show record, movement, jumping ability, conformation and disposition.
    I WANT ALL of the above, NOT some of the above, and I want size. I also want one that usually passes his BEST attributes on to his get. I know the judge personally who judged A FINE ROMANCE at the Royal show, and what he distinctly remembered is the 2yr old being the spitting image in every way. He also saw conformation, movement and disposition being incredible. I asked for the video, and sure enough, he is a complete package. bear in mind, I breed 100% for the hunter ring.
    I could care less about eventing, dressage and the like. I want one that jumps in excellent form, has enough step to walk the lines, is good looking enough to be noticed and quiet enough to get the job done. I saw all of that in the video.
    I can only think of Clouds Harbor Farm as having the other 2 TB stallions I adore. Absolut and Wedgewood. I do have a foal I love by Just The best that has the same qualities as above, and he is 1/2 WB, 1/2 TB so my resultant foal is 7/8TB. The mare I bred to JTB has the same bloodlines as A Fine Romance so he wouldn't be suitable for him,but my other mares surely would be.

...about pedigrees. I'm with you on that side. I would rather look at a stallion who's had a nice performance record and has produced quality foals who that are also successful than a stallion that has the "pedigree". Too much emphasis is placed on pedigrees in the QH and Paint breeds. I've seen horses with top pedigrees and that's it. Nothing else about them to get excited about. Is that a reason alone to breed to a stallion?
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I know what Jane is saying, and I appreciate it very much, but I would also like to point out that A Fine Romance ( who I bred to race) has an excellent race horse pedigree - but also a GREAT performance TB pedigree. He is inbred 4x4 to Nasrullah and 5x5 to Princequillo with Turn To, Royal Charger, My Babu etc etc. His sire, the very handsome Brave Shot(GB)( Bold Bidder - Gay Missile - Sir Gaylord) was bred to just to produce race horses - but as they have come off the track they have been successful as hunters, jumpers and event horses. His dam, Two Bitter, was a tough race mare (Pluck (Double Jay - Nasrullah /Windfields) but she was also stunningly beautiful, and a wonderful mover.
    As a race horse breeder, I have also tried to be careful about conformation, ( as well as pedigreee, race performance, produce etc) and tried to breed "Beautiful Athletes". I guess in the back of my mind, I was always thinking about those horses future lives - when they came off the track. I wanted the horses I bred and sold to go on to have other lives, and if they are big, handsome, correct and athletic (with kind hearts and good minds) the chances are increased I hope they will find homes as someone's loved riding horse. I have taken a sabatical from breeding race horses and am now concentrating on Thoroughbred and Thoroughbred-based Performance Horses. But the lure of race horses is VERY STRONG.

The sad thing is that mare owners don't do much homework when it comes to breeding to TB stallions, in contrast to WB ones.

Jane, you mentioned consistency in the get. Well, some TB families produce very consistently, but it's hard to get people interested. My stallion's sire, Anticipating, had at one point five sons standing in the hunter cum racing market, including one in Canada who I think is still alive. Three were 16.3 or taller. The smallest, at 16.1 was a significant winner in the Regular Working division.

I'm not saying that to brag, just to illustrate. The lines are out there, but the only time anyone notices is when the information is attached to a full-page, full-color ad. The brother of my guy had half-page, b/w ads for a while, but the owner never talked about the consistency of the family. Denny Emerson has brought up the consistency of Caro's get and the My Babu line. But can see one get that looks just like Dad and assume that they all will? Yes! If Dad and this brother and that brother and Dad's dad and this son and that son are all similar. And then if Mom, too, had sons at stud (which happened in the case of the Regular Division horse I mentioned: his dam was also a decent producer). Yes, you can be sure there's something there all right.

Again, though, the problem is that people breeding especially to TB stallions don't do much research. It's hard to stand up against all the flash and bang of the other breeds and their advertisign budgets. Maybe that's the biggest problem with the TB4Sport idea. Supply and demand depresses stud fees for all but the few whose owners can afford to buy those ads and show those babies.

But as you know, that doesn't mean there aren't some damn fine TBs out there. It's just that no one KNOWS they are!

Sportponies Unlimited
    Specializing in fancy, athletic, 3/4-TB ponies.
    For more info, email: sportponies@horsecity.com
    Shameless signature plugplugplug.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Quinn, as far as I know there is still no AI allowed with the Jockey Club. It comes up for discussion every year, and then is turned down for reasons like: "it would narrow the gene pool" I don't know where they get that from. It has worked very well for the Standardbreds. But it does make promoting a TB stallion and/or breeding TBs for performance more difficult. If you have a nice TB mare in Colorado, chances are you aren't going to ship her to KY (or Canada) to breed live cover -you then have to breed to a TB stallion who is close who you may not like as well, breed to a TB from away and have to forego JC papers, or breed to a WB. But then we have lovely full-bred TBs out there who are lost forever as TBs because they can't be registered. and if they go on and do well in the show ring TBs won't get the recognition. so that is a major problem. I don't know if it would work, but perhaps if enough people wrote the Jockey Club. Maybe we could draft a petition on this website?