The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pre Menopause?

Thank God for OT day! What in the world is pre menopause? and am I going through it?
    I am 35 and my normally frozen self has started getting night sweats. My poor SO started wondering why I was pushing him away, its because I am HOT!! Then I am back to my frozen self an hour or so later.
    Just for background, I was recently diagnosed with Scoliosis (thank you riding wreck) and it is minorly pinching a nerve in my neck and a nerve in my lower back.

What gives?

Night sweats can be a symptom for several diseases/conditions, you might want to get checked out by a doctor. If it is related to menopause I'd think you'd also get hot flashes during the day. Also 35 would be young for menopause. Hope you can figure it out!

I get hot flashes and they are much worse at night.

Thirty-five is young (but not unheard of) to start to enter perimenopause. To be on the safe side I'd speak to a doctor but that's probably what's going on.

Heading down the old menopausal train myself any time...I have a defunct uterus after having surgery to save me from bleeding to death. I am starting to feel the effects of hormones shifting for sure. The night sweats have started, along with a few other symptoms. It's hard to say though as most of the women in my family have had hysterectomy's at very young ages, so not quite sure what it will be like, but it will be interesting for sure.

You should check in with your doctor. I am 30, and am in premature menopause. (premature and early menopause are different categories, based upon the age that it starts essentially). There is a lot of different options to help with many of the side effects. I haven't had night sweats or hot flashes yet thankfully. I hope that waits a long long time.

(i like to say that I'm not in the 1%, i'm in the .1% hahaha).
    I have CDO. It's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!

can also be a side effect of many medications. are you taking anything for pain of your scoliosis, or anxiety or depression? Some of those types can cause night sweats.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Hot flashes may start at night (mine did)...when they start in the daytime, believe me....you will know it. I am 44 and in the throes of them.

Maca, a natural supplement, is a Godsend. It WORKS. I get mine at the natural healthfood store - it's a Peruvian root that almost made my flashes disappear. I was having 8-10 a day and the Maca took me down to 2 or so, and much less severe. Unfortunately it is a phyto-estrogen, and I am allowed no estrogens of any type (had BC surgery in the Fall, cancer-free now but very high risk). I do admit that for quality of life, I still take the Maca before bed so I can sleep better.

On days I exercise in the morning (pretty intense cardio & weights), my flashes are also greatly reduced. For me, caffeine and sugar and processed foods are culprits and make the MUCH worse.

Hot flashes STINK big time. Maca works but check with your doc first.

I am 50 and get no sweats during the day. But at night if I get up to go to the bathroom I will most always get a sweat when I get back in bed. Odd.

I have turned out ceiling fan up a notch and this has helped. Also the dogs have chosen to sleep closer to my husband ha ha. I will be adjusting the a/c this summer to keep things cool at night.

I remember one COTH said she had so many fans she pretty much had to strap/tie her pj clad husband to the bed for all the wind so he and the dogs wouldn't blow out of the bed.

Since the fan is faster, also the windows are wide open to let some cool spring air in the bedroom. Cool is your friend. Also smooth cotton sheets which are cool to the touch.

Bring on the fans. Come summer, I may have to turn the ceiling fan to the highest level. :-)

Default Evening primrose oil

Someone here posted that they took evening primrose oil for help with hot flashes. I figured it was worth a try. I didn't have high expectations so I was pleasantly surprised when my hot flashes were reduced in both number and severity.

I had been waking up literally every hour to hour and a half drenched in sweat and feeling the heat radiate off my skin. After taking the oil (2 grams/day split into two doses) I still have them but only 1 or 2 a night and they are less severe. The flashes I was having during the day have almost stopped completely.

I'm not a good candidate for HRT so I'm very happy that the evening primrose oil works for me. And it's relatively inexpensive.

Thyroid issues often begin in the 30s. I'm hypo, and night sweats were an issue before diagnosis/meds. Their periodic return tells me I need a dosage adjustment.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Many diseases or conditions can trigger night sweats so a trip to the doctor is a good idea. And I've heard of people that started hot flashes a long time before real menopause, so it is possible. However, it's a good time to get a thorough, all over checkup to rule out other things too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa.Hare.Jones View Post
    Thyroid issues often begin in the 30s. I'm hypo, and night sweats were an issue before diagnosis/meds. Their periodic return tells me I need a dosage adjustment.

Yup. And it's amazing how many doctors, including endocrinologists, ignore or dismiss symptoms in their female patients. Even when lab results support their patients complaints.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Wow guys thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I will make an appt with my doc just to be sure there isn't anything off kilter any where else.
    I am not taking any meds so I can rule that out. I have started exercising in the morning and that has helped it some, it is just driving me bonkers that it will happen a few times one night, then nadda for a few days, then every night for a week. Argghhhhh

Just glad to know I am not crazy, well at least not for that anyway

As I recall, I was about that age or maybe a year or two older when I started occasional hot flashes/night sweats.

I'm now officially menopausal, and I STILL get them! (that's my face color when a hot flash hits )

For those of you who have night sweats, I can't say enough good about the nightgowns from "As We Change". They're expensive, but oh so worth it! For example: http://www.aswechange.com/AsWeChange...aspx?id=329680
    They used to have PJs too, but for some peculiar reason they seem to have stopped carrying them. Too bad, as they are my fave's.

I agree with the others...I'd visit your doctor. You are on the young side for perimenopause...doesn't mean that isn't it, but it could be something else and, if you are heading for early menopause, you'll want to know, anyway, so you can plan to protect your bones, etc... I get the hot/cold thing, at night only, but I'm 50 in a few months, totally expected . Period is getting shorter too, first it was every 25 days, then every 23, now every 21. That's because I'm not ovulating most months any more and the second half of my cycle is screwed up. I'm ready to be done, but it is sure taking it's sweet time.

I'm 45 and have occasional night sweats now. And my periods are sometimes a day or two shorter than they used to be.

Anyone else losing their memory too? I forget things so easily lately.

what did you just say?

I'm over 55 now and haven't had a period for a year. I spent a decade being cold before they diagnosed my hypothyroid and the hot flashes are actually a welcome relief. I never got them until after my periods stopped and I started taking thyroid hormone.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF