The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer repair...Exiss 2H Straight load

I had an incident with the trailer today and wanted to see if anyone else had this problem. The trailer is a like-new, Exiss 2H straight load. It is not my trailer, but I am free to use it. I am also required to make any repairs if I damage it (which I am happy to do)

What happened: We hauled 3 horses to a nearby show. Took 2 horses first, and dropped one off first (the horse on the left side). When we unloaded the horse, we forgot to re-attach the butt bar.

When I got back to get the third horse, when I opened the doors, I saw that the divider was all the to the left. When I looked further, I realized that the bolts holding the right-side butt bar had ripped off of the wall. Presumably, the right-side horse leaned into the divider, and then it ripped the right side off.

So I am going to take it to the dealer to have it repaired, obviously its my fault for not re-attaching after we unloaded horse #1.

However, when I got home, I showed my mechanic hubby and he said that given how much "play" there is with the butt bars, he said it could have happened regardless if the left butt bar was up. He said if the horse leaned enough on the divider, even with the left side up, there is enough left-to-right give that it could pull from the wall.

This was not the case, as clearly I made the mistake. My fear is, if this IS an issue, than even with a super-duper reinforced repair, this could happen again, and I fear the owner of the trailer will always think that any future issues with this were from my initial mistake. This person is a friend and I want to make sure that I do right by my mistake, and I certainly will do that.

Has anyone else had issues like this with their trailers? If it helps I can take a photo to illustrate what it looks like.

I have an Exiss Event 2H Straight Load, and so far have not had any issues, and I have a horse that likes to sit on the butt bars.

I believe the lesson here is as follows......NEVER lend your trailer to anyone, PERIOD!!! You FORGOT to put the butt bar up? Me thinks you should NOT be driving a trailer with LIVE cargo....

Well, that was helpful, thanks. We made a mistake. By looking at the trailer, it has a support bar that goes to the ground. Not being familiar, I thought it was bolted to the floor when I first saw it, which I'm sure factored into our forgetting to re-attach the empty side's butt bar. The trailer owner was with us and is completely understanding of the situation. I was hauling HER horse, along with mine and another friend's. The horse who was left alone in the trailer when it happened was mine.

Thank goodness for you not making mistakes! It must be pretty awesome.

For the record, I said I am happy to repair it past its original strength, to factory specs, through the dealer. The entire reason I posted. I wanted to see if this was a problem with them, so we can be double sure it won't happen again.
    Last edited by spacytracy; Apr. 8, 2012 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    Thank goodness for you not making mistakes! It must be pretty awesome.

For the record, I said I am happy to repair it past its original strength, to factory specs, through the dealer.
    LOL, what did the trailer owner say about all of this?

I think that if you have the trailer repaired to its original strength and someone else does the same thing- its no longer your fault. The dealer may even have a warranty through repair. Get it repaired and move on. Good for you for taking the responsibility to fix it.

She was totally ok with it. I was on the verge of tears because I feel bad that we made the mistake, and she was the one saying "its life, its not a big deal, call the dealer, it'll be fine" kind of thing.
    It doesn't look like it will be alot of work, there's a plate that is bolted on with 2 bolts. When it pulled out, the bolts pulled out - the one stripped a little. So it needs some welding, but nothing is broken. Nothing "solid" broke.

Well id say you got pretty darn lucky! She knows your getting it fixed, so if it happens again I wouldn't go to you i'd be going back to the repair place saying "why is this happening, I thought you fixed it?"

I have had the same trailer for about 8 yrs. I've never had that happen, but I've had the "rings" you attach the butt bar to break multiple times. I've actually had a number of things go wrong with this trailer that seem to be due to a lack of high quality materials. It just gets beat up a lot and it's not abused.

I'll use this one til it dies, but I won't get another Exiss.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Quote Originally Posted by HoofaSchmigetty View Post
    I believe the lesson here is as follows......NEVER lend your trailer to anyone, PERIOD!!! You FORGOT to put the butt bar up? Me thinks you should NOT be driving a trailer with LIVE cargo....
    Oh, please. That is a ridiculous comment.

Yea the Exiss were on the bottom of my list when I was looking at trailers. In fact it wasn't even on my list. Poor quality trailer.
    Good that you're the type to be responsible. That's nice this day & time.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Thats basically what my husband said "Crappy construction" on how they did it.

There's no doubt it was broken due to my mistake, but there still leaves a question of whether with normal wear, it would have broken anyway. I'm not trying to weasel my way out of this and blame the trailer, I want to know if this is a problem to prevent that from happening again. I'm having the dealer look at the other side as well (which is not broken) to be sure its locked in there tight.