The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The OMG Scary brainfart moment

Last night DH went out to feed the herd. I had sent 3 apples so he cut them into chunks to share amongst six horses. After they were gone he turned away. When he turned back he saw the hay knife DISAPPEARING into my geldings mouth, handle first. The gelding had stuck his muzzle into the glove box of our Gator and grabbed the apple-scented paring knife. DH, who was five feet away, sprang into action and managed to grab the knifetip--less than one inch visible between horse's lips--and carefully grasp it and made the horse let go. It was going down!!! So we have a pact to get a safer knife for opening our hay bales, and agreed to never cut up treats with it. I think we got lucky. That could have been very bad.

That's a toe curler, alright!

Glad it turned out ok! Whew! Close call.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

greedy pony!

one of the best hay knives I have ever seen was a segment of an old mower bar put into an old pit fork handle. nearly a foot long and a big triangular metal 'tip'
    kinda like this: |>

glad that hubby got that one solved!
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Go to the dollar store and get the device they sell as seen on tv for opening plastic packaging. It makes the absolute best hay knife as it has a very sharp blade but that blade is recessed into the device so it is impossible to touch.

http://www.amazon.com/OpenX-Blade-Un.../dp/B0006ACWEQ

Jeez Louise!! Good on Hubs.

Good hubby!

I had a horse grab a piece of paper that was tacked on a stall the other day. no biggie except he also stole the freaken thumb tack. I aged about 10 years in 30 seconds as I saw him spit out the paper instantly but not the tack.

I went in after it and got the tack but wtf?? that paper was hanging on the stall door for 6 months what suddenly made it so attractive?

Maybe he just wanted to watch my hair turn grey before his very eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    one of the best hay knives I have ever seen was a segment of an old mower bar put into an old pit fork handle. nearly a foot long and a big triangular metal 'tip'
    kinda like this: |>
    One of the men in out draft horse club makes them. They don't fit in a pocket, though.

I would be inclined to tie a length of baling twine to a regular knife, so it could fit into a pocket, yet be easy to find if dropped or otherwise lost -- or gulped.

Quote Originally Posted by draftdriver View Post
    One of the men in out draft horse club makes them. They don't fit in a pocket, though.

I would be inclined to tie a length of baling twine to a regular knife, so it could fit into a pocket, yet be easy to find if dropped or otherwise lost -- or gulped.
    Tie them to your belt!
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Among a few other things (scissors, pocket knives) we use these

http://www.safecutters.com/

Very easy to use on hay bales, and mine are ridiculous neon colors that you can't lose. Not sure they would be completely safe if eaten, however.

Lucky for you that DH saw the knife being ingested!!!