The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I just hate most of the new clothes out there

As a spinoff from the "put together" thread, I just wanted to say that I am really unimpressed with the selection of clothing out there. Maybe its age, but I go shopping and can't even find something that I want to try on. I walk through the expensive shopping centers like Lenox in Atlanta and I just get depressed. I hate the really wild colors and I don't want sequins on my butt.
    I end up going home and just ordering another polo online. It always seems like many items just have a fatal flaw. It looks like it would fit but the neckline is too low, sleeves too short, skirt too short etc. Am I just too picky? And God help me I don't like the wild prints. I feel like I would look like a bad lawn chair. I wear a size 8 so it's not like I can't find my size but yuck.

Me too! I was shopping last weekend and everything is ruffly, frilly, gauzy....I have never looked good in that stuff - I have to wear things that are more tailored....

Then I feel like I wear the same thing (or a variation) all the time, but if you know what looks good on you....you don't have much choice!

Well, I think too many of the clothes make a woman look like "mutton dressed as lamb." Still, J Crew has some nice pencil skirts. Banana Republic has their MadMen line. I have been into color blocking (bright solids, no matching) and feel like it gives a fresh and updated look without looking like I wish I was a sleezy Kardashian.
    You are right, though. So many hooker clothes out there.
    I'm probably in the minority, but I would rather look like June Cleaver than Snookie.

Yes, I want June Cleaver's shirt waist dresses, please!!! Just the thing with a nice cardigan.

If you can find a good seamstress (or you like to sew) that is the way to go totally. There are a lot of excellent patterns out there.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!

With very few exceptions, the only clothing i've bought in the last few years has been riding apparel.

No, I take it back. I went wild in Penneys in Ireland. Some stuff is VERY trendy there, but most of what I bought is plaun, basic items like solid shirts and sweaters.

My best friend said she went through her husband's clothes (they're in their late twenties or so) with him (he's definitely got the Irish mammy complex, which she's learning to work with instead of against!) she finally convinced him to get rid of all the shirts with 'witty' phrasing. I definitely agree, there's a certain age when comedic tee shirts need to stay as pj's only.

I've had the best luck at Banana republic and Ann Taylor Loft. Their stuff is classy without looking old, and i can funk it up with jewelry and shoes.
    Department stores generally leave me feeling at once overwhelmed and disappointed, so I avoid those for most things.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I want REAL colours, not those puke green, puke yellow, etc colours that have been in style for the last several years. I want shirts/sweaters that are long enough and pants that don't do up under the armpits. I also want pants with proper legs, not those short things or the ones with legs so tiny you gotta grease your feet to get them through the ankle hole. SImplicity would be nice too, no bows, frills, big swatches of sequins, hunks of lace dripping off at weird places, and no flowers......sick to death of stuff that looks like 50s Hawaiian floweredy shirts. I am too old for short pants and crop tops. I like plain jeans, plain sweats (far superior for being a tractor jockey) and plain shirts. I also want dress clothing to have some lines and style, not look like something patched together in random forms.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I *heart* sk pacer LOL!!!

And I agree, I hatehatehate ruffly stuff. Bling, I love. I would bling the kitten if he would stay still.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by redhorse5 View Post
    Yes, I want June Cleaver's shirt waist dresses, please!!! Just the thing with a nice cardigan.
    I have been watching Murder She Wrote lately, and I have been coveting the lovely clothes that she wore for that series.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

If I were a better seamstress I would buy the 1940s vintage patterns. Understated and classy

Try a consignment store? You'll find a big selection, things that are still in but not the very latest, and lower prices.
    Any time someone talks about their horse in a bar, there's love in the room.

I did some shopping last week and I was thinking the styles and colors looked like something out of the Austin Powers movies. Totally shagadellic baby!
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

I suppose I'm fortunate to work in an office whose dress code is "Don't come in naked." Seriously, jeans and concert tees are the norm for a lot of people.

Hate ruffly and gauzy and "shirred", whatever that is - I think it's bunched up fabric. My preferences run to fitted polos and low-rise jeans (these are a blessing to those of us with short torsos). Most of our client offices have similar policies, so if I get called in to one I'm not totally out of place. (In colder months I do have some really cool classic-looking sweaters).

I also hate that scoop-neck and vee-neck seem to be the thing now; lots of us cannot wear those styles. I'll find a cool fitted tee-shirt, and dammit, it has a vee neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
    I did some shopping last week and I was thinking the styles and colors looked like something out of the Austin Powers movies. Totally shagadellic baby!
    Ditto! What's up with that? I was hoping those days were gone forever...lol

I just ignore anything I don't like. I can always find stuff I like. Mostly online. I HATE shopping for clothes in stores.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

What is it with those ripped clothes with holes on them ... for sale as new?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    What is it with those ripped clothes with holes on them ... for sale as new?
    Anyone remember the jeans with BULLET HOLES in them that were on the market about 8, 9 years ago? True - the jeans were tossed into the air and shot at (might be a fun job for a few days), then sold in stores for 3-figure prices.

I hate the short shirts (the length not the sleeves), wonder why all of the shirt manufacturers are doing short sleeve shirts that are too short for me (or anyone over 25), and clothes that leave a big gap when you reach for anything and your belly is exposed. I buy virtually everything at Kohl's and it's not that easy there either, or LL Bean or the other online stores, because if they don't have shirts (polos for example) that have decent sleeves in the women's, then I get mens shirts-and for polos and such it works. I really like the online ones like LL Bean that have tons of customer reviews on each item, so I know if there are sizing issues, or if soemthing is a bad idea to buy.

Mara-look at LLBean and some of the other online vendors, because online they have a better selection for things like plain tees than the stores do, with more options and colors.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

How come so many shirt/blouse's necks lack the last two upper buttons?

Quote Originally Posted by redhorse5 View Post
    I think I saw one of those online the other day. I want to say it was Roamans, but I am not sure. I love that look, classy, neat well put together. I have the pattern for these dresses in my pattern box, and just love them.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Honestly, there are sometimes when I look at all the stuff in the stores and revert one of 2 ways..Crisp creased Levis with a button down shirt and polished boots and belt as per my daddy's advice or a silky shell top and straight skirt to mid calf with a pair of opera pumps and pearls. Very few places do I have to go that one or the other would not be appropriate. The great thing about these is that even if you are a woman of size like I am, these outfits look nice and not like something that tried and couldn't. I am 41, not 14 and not only would I look stupid trying to look like that, I have no desire to look like that. I don't want ruffles or bold prints or words or sequins for work or play, and I want my butt cleavage covered, but not up to my rib cage.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown