The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Fork 3* XC

It looks like it's riding rough. Anyone there have any insight? Where are the problems?

Just looked on EN-looks like the sunken road caused lots of havoc.

I've been following Samantha's twitter all morning-- the sunken road has caught a few out, as well as the double corners.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Here's a link to photos of the course.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Did not see the entire course so can't speak to personally about that fence.

However Sinead was 'interviewed' by Brian and spoke about the course. She thought some competitors did not give that fence enough 'respect". Possibly thinking they had already faced the meat of the course.

It was fairly easy to know which competitors would have problems based on how they handled the course through the big water complex. The ones who made me gasp, usually had problems at the next complex or the sunken road or the double corners near the end.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

The sunken road was definitely a hot spot. I saw Stephen Bradley's fall, in fact I was only about 10 feet away. Came off the bank fairly bold and just couldn't fit the one stride in. Horse chested the bank on the way out and they both landed on their side (I kept hearing the jump judge call it a "rotational" on her radio, it most certainly was not).

The double corners were tight, tight, tight. With only 2 fences to go afterwards maybe fatigue was a factor? I wouldn't even presume to armchair quarterback that one.

All in all, lots of wonderful rounds to watch, and plenty that made you go EEK!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

And let me just add that I am once again completely convinced that the Point 2 is not, in fact, a safety device. If I watch that thing puff up one more time after the horse has rolled off the rider . . .
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.

Hope Stephen's ok
    I was at the jump way back in the day 92' when he had the horrific fall on Hy Flying Brent at Rolex-very scary! I was also sad, coz I really wanted to watch him ride around on Sassy Reason.
    Hopefully it was a successful course build up for those heading to Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    Hope Stephen's ok
    I was at the jump way back in the day 92' when he had the horrific fall on Hy Flying Brent at Rolex-very scary! I was also sad, coz I really wanted to watch him ride around on Sassy Reason.
    Hopefully it was a successful course build up for those heading to Rolex.
    I think he got his bell rung pretty good but he seemed okay.
    Cotton would fight.

Exclamation Dutch, nt Brent

Grant was riding Dutch in'92
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Actually, I believe Stephens' fall before Barcelona '92, was in Canada
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Looks like the Intermediate is fairing a little better so far today. Fingers crossed for everyone.

The ground should be much drier this morning than it was yesterday morning. There were a lot of horses slipping in the 3*.
    Cotton would fight.

Slightly off topic, but what was going on with the Intermediate show jumping yesterday? Looked like an awful lot of E's and a fair few number of other problems on the live scoring. Anyone there who can comment?

It was 92, Lynch's Leap, Stephen riding Hy Flying Brent-I was there

1 members found this post helpful.

I saw many folks flat out fall over on slick footing and tight turns, several bounced the bank and missed the skinny out (mentioned before), and the double corners saw many, many problems.

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    I saw many folks flat out fall over on slick footing and tight turns, several bounced the bank and missed the skinny out (mentioned before), and the double corners saw many, many problems.
    The footing was definitely an issue for the 3*. Long wet grass on top of red clay equals slick conditions. Really unfortunate for several pairs that were having good rounds but then a slip at a crucial moment caused a refusal or fall.

Didn't see the intermediate show jumping (was too mesmerized by xc) so I don't know what the issue was there. The footing in the main arena is amazing.
    Cotton would fight.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    The footing was definitely an issue for the 3*. Long wet grass on top of red clay equals slick conditions. Really unfortunate for several pairs that were having good rounds but then a slip at a crucial moment caused a refusal or fall.

Didn't see the intermediate show jumping (was too mesmerized by xc) so I don't know what the issue was there. The footing in the main arena is amazing.
    Agreed on the unfortunate slips and slides. The grass was quite wet for the 2* and then the 3*, but dried out in the late morning.

I hung out by the sunken road for nearly 20 rides. It was really educational. Some dicey rides and some lovely rides through there.

Stephen and mount looked okay after chesting the out of the road. Seconding ACME it was not a rotation, but both walked back the barn fine. I think Will took the worst fall at the end of the day at the end of the 2* and his mare ran back to the barn, jumping the second last jump a long the way!

Overall I found it to be a ton of fun, really educations and fantastic weather at a great facility! I am excited to school there this weekend!

I would really like to see some video of the problem areas, the corners and the sunken road complexes...to put some pictures with the comments. does anyone have any?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post
    Slightly off topic, but what was going on with the Intermediate show jumping yesterday? Looked like an awful lot of E's and a fair few number of other problems on the live scoring. Anyone there who can comment?
    I was the show jumping steward. Several factors - to include bad riding. Fence seven had a significant glare to it for most of the morning. Course flowed pretty well, lots of turns. All the fences were set at max height.

Will was in the 3*, and sadly his game mare jumped the widest part of the corner, knocking his leg out of the tack with the centerpiece mushroom decorations, and undoing her balance on landing. Really really huge bummer because it was a lovely ride up until then.