The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

sits in the box with my "REAL" engagement ring. They come out to play once a year or so.

Hubby bought me a "plain" wedding band for our first anniversary - it's soooo worn! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

BREATHE!!! Oxygen is a good thing!
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

The hubby got my ring in platinum set low with baguettes on the side of my solitaire and i wear it every day and have NEVER had a problem with it. My band is a channel set band in platinum as well always wear that too!!!!! They do get in the way when I ride and I get blisters but I always forget to take them off. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

He knew to set it low because I am a clutz!!

**BARB***

**BARB***

Therese, there is a little trick you can do if you still want that colored diamond. You can tint your stone a light shade of pink, blue, lavendar or whatever. Take a WASHABLE ink pen and color the girdle (the skinny edge of the stone between the top and the bottom halves). If the girdle is wide enough to take enough ink, it will lightly tint the entire stone when you look at it from above. It will wash off when you wash your hands and isn't practical for long term color. You can also use ball point pen ink which will wear off after awhile.

Sister, if your white gold ring is causing skin problems, the alloy probably contains nickel which causes rashes for many people. Rhodium plating will take care of the problem. For a quick fix you can paint clear nail polish inside the ring. It won't last a long time but it will help until you get the plating done.

this thread caught my eye [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I always wore the pearls my Mom and Dad created year by year with the aid of a Manhattan jeweler (Bathmans I think) they did so for all their daughters. A couple of years ago the strand broke in a indoor arena and I can't tell you how sick I felt, searching for them in the footing! At the end of the day, when I had them restrung we were missing less than a half inch. Funny thing is, the first time they were strung the "line"? lasted 30 years; the second time after the indoor debacle, the "line" lasted less than a year but mercifully broke while sleeping! Haven't had them restrung yet...
    \"The world\'s greatest achievements often happen on the edge of chaos\"

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

What's a bezel setting? Just curious - read your part about lower settings and am interested.

I can't believe RolexH hasn't commented - she has a beautiful ring. I just remember her saying before she got engaged, "I want one REALLY tall. What happens if it catches on things? I'll say, 'Oh, excuse me - I'm SO sorry my HUGE ring got caught on your sweater.'" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

LOL What a goofball. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Now that there'a a potentail Mr. Chick I completely understand. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

So tell me again how the 40 Hour Standard was created? I think my boss was busy...
    Which came first, the truck or the trailer?

Great thread... especially since my boyfriend proposed last night, and I now have a sparkly new ring on my finger!!!

It is a gorgeous 3/4 carat princess cut solitaire set in white gold. Of course my first thought was "how is this gonna hold up around the horses??" and I've decided that I just can't risk losing or damaging it-- it'll stay at home when I go to the barn.

I do lead a very active lifestyle tho... luckily the boyfriend (now husband to be!) let the jeweler know and while it's not necessarily a cathedral setting, it looks a whole lot sturdier than a lot of solitaire settings I've seen.

Congratulations, LuckyMe!
    That's wonderful news. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

...a completely recessed 5-carat (YES - 5 CARAT) solitaire. It is absolutely gorgeous. She ponies and exercised racehorses, plus grooms and mucks and ....you get the picture!

She has a thick white gold band (wide and tall off her finger) with a square cut perfect massive diamond set down into it. You never have to worry about prongs being bent, etc. but it is hard to clean between the diamond and the band.

Funny thing (well, funny now after 8 years) ... her husband was my boyfriend through high school. Damn, that would've looked nice on my finger.

If you're a cowboy and you're dragging a guy behind your horse, I bet it would really make you mad if you looked back and the guy was reading a magazine.
    --Jack Handy, Deep Thoughts

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future!" - Niels Bohr

EqChick, think of a round stone with metal surrounding it all the way around. It protects the thin edge of the stone called the bezel, where the top and bottom halves of the stone meet.