The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

If you haven't read Merry's piece in Horse Illustrated on engagement rings, and Thanksgiving, and barn work, you should check it out. It's side splitting funny!

As an aside, I get stuck with everyone's engagement rings as they go in to ride at shows. One of these days, I'm going to walk off with one of those large rocks!

For me, I avoid wearing jewelry to the barn or to ride. I don't mind ruining all my clothes at the barn. But the few nice jewelry pieces I have are not going to get bent, broken, twisted, or scratched. I usually take off jewelry and put it in the toll change pocket in my car.

Ok, Everyone here knows by now that I don't ride, I only volunteer.

But the Great Warrior Volunteer does not wear Any jewerly when she is working an event.

Not even my band! I've had That 27 years, not going to risk it Now! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Nothing except a watch, on my left wrist, which I need. And it's a Cheap watch at that.

One less thing to get lost, misplaced, crushed or smashed!

And from hard experience, I've learned to wear Nothing, absolutely Nothing around my neck!! The only time I did was in Winnipeg, for the Pam-American Games. You Had to wear your cards and ribbons all the time, or the Mounties would nab you.

Hope this helps,
    BarbaraG
    GWV

Nope, you're not the only woman not wearing her wedding band to the barn. Mine became too small when I lost some weight last year and I can't stand the feeling of it dangling on my finger. And on the subject of engagement rings... Mine *always* goes to the barn. It's my 2500 Dodge Ram truck. Yep, instead of getting a diamond, I got a truck for my engagement. Sounds kind of redneck, but it's a really nice truck [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Third Chair in the Viola Clique
    Founder of the Packrats Anonymous Clique
    Proud Member of the Dirty Grey Horse Clique
    http://community.webshots.com/user/pnekman

My engagement ring has an 18k band with four platinum prongs, and after two years mucking stalls, throwing hay, fixing fence, etc, my rock is still tight and beautiful. The band has some tiny surface scratches, but almost any metal will scratch when subjected to an active person, and the jeweler can "refurbish" it...somehow they polish it and remove the scratches. My rock is about 1/2 carat (I wanted QUALITY, not QUANTITY...and I have tiny hands too) and is a simple Cathedral setting. It is somewhat raised, which took some getting used to, but now I'm used to it (I previously didn;t wear ANY jewelry). I really like it a lot.

My jeweler has a warranty with regards to losing your stone. As long as I have my prongs checked every six months (I have a card that I take and they fill out), if my rock falls out, they will replace the diamond for free. It is also covered under our homeowners insurance.

The main thing, don't worry about getting something HUGE, because it will just get in your way, not to mention being expensive. Go for something of high quality, and go with a size and setting that compliments your features. My best advice, go try on some rings. You'll feel goofy at first (I did!), but you'll have a better idea of what you like.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, and live as if you'll die tomorrow." -- James Dean

Okay, I only have experience with my high school ring which is silver with an onyx stone, but it has held up unbelievably well. I was just thinking about that today...
    1-800

"The tongue weighs less than an ounce but few have the strength to hold it."

"Fool me once, shame, shame on you, fool me twi, you, you can't fool me again."
    ~ Sad day for us Republicans
    \"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats.\"

\"Betwixt the stirrup and the ground, mercy I asked and mercy I found.\"

Any full service jeweler should be able to polish either platinum or titanium jewelry. Onyx is a pretty durable stone so it is well-suited to class rings, etc.
    How fragile a stone really is depends on the type and number of inclusions (flaws) in the stone. Little included crystals don't effect durability as much as fractures or cleavages. If you're going to mount the stone in a prong head, go with the highest quality stone (clarity) you can, and pick one with crystals over cleavages.
    Even though I've been in the trade, my engagement ring stone is quite small. I hang all the big stuff around my neck or on my ears, and save it for occasions when "Power Jewelry" seems to be in order. I'm too afraid I'll lose my tennis bracelet to wear it riding, and spent hours searching for someone's bracelet in the schooling area at Bend this summer. (Their footing is now much more valuable). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Though I have no degree in gems, dad is a Geologist (with a minor in gemology), and my brother's hobby is jewelry making, so I've got a bit of knowledge.

My engagement ring is .37c, and is top quality (dad pulled out the loupe to check…) It's mounted in 10k gold band, with partial cathedral sides. The 6 prong setting is platinum. I replaced the gold prongs last summer when I noticed them starting to bend and catch lint. (HINT: If your prongs catch threads, they are loose.) I prefer the 6 prongs over 4. On a 6, I can loose a prong and the stone is still secure. With 4 if a prong is lost, so is the stone, basic physics there.

After 11 years of near constant wear, the band is showing wear on the back, but the front design has held up rather well. Part of the reason I like 10k vs 14k or 18k is the durability. My wedding band is 14k yellow with two white "ropes" inset into it. The ropes are starting to wear smooth in some spots.

I've gone back and forth wearing/not wearing my rings while riding. I do keep a good pair of "wire" cutters in my tool box at the stable. I've cut 2 rings off with them (one mine, one someone else's). Rather a bauble than a finger!

I now always wear gloves when riding, but rarely for anything else.

If I had to do it over again, I would have asked for a bezel setting, but I doubt I would have gotten it. Jack was insistent on a traditional white solitaire. I wanted a blue or champagne color... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Despite that, we're still together after nearly 10 years of marriage.

"I love deadlines." "I love the swooooshing sound they make as they fly by!" -Douglas Adams
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wedding.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	7735  
    - Therese

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by murdoch:
    OK getting really off topic here...
    But does anyone not wear their wedding ring - I mean I hardly ever wear it - it's always in my purse. This started when I started riding more than one horse... I found that I couldn't ride in it (gave me nasty caluses on my finger) and since I tend to go to work straight from the barn (or vise versa) I would always forget to put it back on.... Now it's a habit.
    To tell the truth I've never really liked the feel of anything on my hands or wrists - I hardly ever wear a watch and avoid gloves unless it's really cold.
    My engagement ring hasn't seen the light of day in years and my wedding ring surfaces occasionally for family events - my mother is horrified [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

So am I the only married woman in the country that doesn't wear a wedding ring? Anyone have any barn friendly marriage symbol ideas - it's not like I have any regrets being married or anything - my SO is a wonderful husband! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Maybe I should just get my finger tattooed (ouch [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img])<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Murdoch,

No, no...I haven't seen my wedding ring in a few years....I know it is in a box somewhere [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img], but I'm not sure where.

It bothered me when I rode, I am not really into jewelry. Then the diamond (a mere 1/4 carat) became loose in the tiffany setting, and I put that away....in a braces rubber band bag...with the rubber bands still there [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]. After leaving my wedding ring on the kitchen counter for weeks and weeks at a time, my husband started to put it on a breadbag as a "tie"....I took the hint and put it away.

Mel

My engagement ring is yellow gold with a platinum setting, and I had them make the setting low so that it doesn't stick up as high as "normal". My wedding band was custom made in a similar fashion, so it too has a yellow gold band with a platinum setting. Both diamonds are princess cut, so you'd think the corners would catch on things all the time, but honestly I have more problems tucking in a shirt than riding. Because the setting is low, most gloves don't squish the ring (or get a hole poked through them). If you read one of the latest Horse Journals where they talk about different gloves, there's actually a new kind ('course I don't remember what that is) that has a "ring pocket" - a slightly enlarged ring finger part of the glove - bout time! But that said, I just leave my rings at home on the weekends- why bother. But during the week, since I head to the barns after work, I keep them on so as not to risk losing them. The worst part is them getting dirty, but I clean them once or twice a month. And a couple of times a year I get them buffed back to shiny new at the jewelers which is when I also have them check the settings.

Okay, not to be a b#@*ch, but flypony, I gotta respond: I didn't "go for" quantity over quality either. First of all, I didn't ask for a 3 carat stone, to be honest I had thought it would get in the way at the barn, during yoga, and on long runs. Second of all, and most importantly, mine is THE HIGHEST GRADE, color-wise, that they sell on the open market. It is considered "colorless." Although not perfect on the clarity scale, it is way up there as well. So I just had to respond to your implication that I was walking around with this big giant grey thing with 33 inclusions!

I wear my wedding ring when going out to a social occaision, or to run errands, but I don't wear it to walk around the house, work (in the house) and I've never worn it in to the barn except for a quick, throw-the-boys-some-hay type errand. I don't want it dirty, lost, scratched, broken, nor do I want to have my finger surgically re-attached which happened to a former barn mate of mine when she fell off and the reins became entangled in her ring (she was wearing gloves, so the finger was savable, though completely pulled off.)

It just wouldn't occur to me to wear it to the barn or around the house or anything--my horses don't care I'm married, LOL.

I don't take them off, my knuckles are too big, and I would lose them if they were off my fingers.

My engagement ring was a lovely 1 carat diamond solitare.....the prongs are thinning, as it is old, and it sticks up too high for my comfort. It lives in the safe deposit box.

Then I had a wedding ring made...channel set, but I should have complained that he set the baguette wrong. I was supposed to be recessed as well. Who knew you could break diamonds? Well, I did-I chipped the sides of the baguette--it now lives in the bank too. I have now officially given up on a nice sparkly ring...

I can't have anything that sticks up at all (I'm with etbw on this)....Mine fill with horse feed, dirt, you name it. Plus the glove issue is a problem. I have now settled on a silver band I bought in 1980 in a surf shop in australia, and another cheap silver band I found at a ferry port in Vancouver BC......On my right hand I actually wear my anniversary band, which is a platinum band from Ireland...it has lovely celtic knotwork and claddagh designs.

I am just too abusive for nice jewelery-I wear the same pair of earrings that I have for the last 20 years (I changed them for the wedding day)...my watches are Timexes bought on sale and strewn throughout the house. I have three I think, so I can always find one. They have cloth bands and seem to be waterproof and shockproof.

I looked at lovely channel set claddagh rings at a shop in Portland this weekend, but sighed and knew I would wreck those too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I have good taste, but am just too hard on my hands)

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    So am I the only married woman in the country that doesn't wear a wedding ring? Anyone have any barn friendly marriage symbol ideas - it's not like I have any regrets being married or anything - my SO is a wonderful husband! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry, you're not alone! Mr Hobson and I don't even have rings-- engagement, wedding or otherwise. I don't like wearing rings very much or often, and he does even less. We also didn't like the popular symbolism of the rings. Our "barn-friendly" solution was to buy a 2-year-old not-yet-to-the-track thoroughbred instead. Our 16.1 hand hairy chestnut icon of love.

Too funny - a giant grey thing with inclusions! LOL
    I didn't have any input in the choice of stone (including it's size) but mine, too, is of highest quality...not that I'd know the difference by looking! My ex-SO wanted a big stone, I think, to stroke HIS ego...

***My horse bucked off your honor student!***

My endurance riding friend rides hundred mile races regularly, and has quite the ring. Not that it has a huge 3 carat diamond or anything, it has 4 smaller diamonds but they are set quite high, sort of assymetrically. I think her ring is neat because each diamond is set at the top of a "tube" of gold and her husband had it designed this way so that the diamonds are protected and don't catch. She never takes it off and believe me she gets her hands dirty at the barn, self-boarding her horses.

Does Mr. Commodore have a brother? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Rhodium is what is used to plate white gold when it yellows. I'm thinking I need to get my white gold ring that I used to wear all the time plated, as it started to irritate my finger about a month ago. It looks like the ring burned my skin.

I wear a watch, a silver box-link bracelet, the aforementioned ring, and pearl studs to the barn. With the exception on the watch and the ring's irritation, the pieces only come off for cleaning.

Sister--

Yes, he does, but he is a total jerk and you don't want him! LOL! He also spends half his time telling Mr. Commodore what a waste of time and money horses are. Yuck!

Sounds like Mr. Commodore got all the good genes in that family!!!

Murdoch

I don't wear my wedding band or engagement ring nor does my husband. I 'm not comfortable with a ring on for any length of time. If the commitment is not in the heart thennnnnnnnn.

I heard someone had a ''digit'' kicked off at Harrisburg I wonder if they were wearing a ring?

My engagement ring is an (almost) antique (1908) platinum with lots of filigree and lots (like 30 or so) of small diamonds made by my husband's grandfather for his wife as a "dinner ring". The whole thing is pretty flat - nothing sticks up - and, I'll never admit it if you told Mr. Pinkhorse, but my second or third thought after I first saw it was, "the perfect riding ring!!". It fits nicely in a glove. One jeweler absolutely frieked when a diamond fell out of it and he replaced it when I told him that I wore it every day. "It's your ENGAGEMENT RING??? ... It's like driving an antique car across the country - you just wouldn't do it!" I say, forget it! It was $50 to replace the diamond. I love this ring and only take it off for Tae Kwon Do. (It may be flat but it's certainly not something you'ld want to punch someone with!) Besides, taking rings off is way too risky for me (I'd be afraid I'd lose it and that would be a BAD THING).

Anyway, it's in perfect shape (after replacing the one stone) - as in it doesn't bend. On my other ring finger I wear a white gold old ring ('20's) - same deal as in filigree and flat - but it's bent out of shape some. Neither are scratched. My wedding band (also platinum) is also pretty pristene. I get them cleaned up every so often - maybe twice a year. (I've had them almost 7.)

Neither are scratched.

There are 2 women at my barn who have had their stick-up-y diamonds reset so that they're flatter.

Re: losing stuff - someone's mother lost her huge diamond somewhere in the indoor arena at Stoneleigh Burnham a few years ago. I must admit to catty thoughts about rich people with their big diamonds hanging around barns.... I imagine someone who made a purchase from Stewarts Nursery (who used to pick up the manure from the barn) getting a nice surprize with their pretty new dogwood tree....

Also, I lost a bracelet when seeding the pasture that I'd been coveting for years and my sister bought me for x-mas last year. About 2 weeks later I was setting up a dressage arena in the indoor when I looked down and saw this thing that looked like a worm. But, no! It was my bracelet - come home to me! I immediately took it to get a new kind of clasp.