The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I was actually considering the option of channel-set diamonds, rather than a solitaire... I know someone who has a ring like this, and it's quite pretty (from the quick glances I've had). Plus, it acts as both an engagement ring and wedding band... so you don't have to find room for two rings on your finger. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I wonder if it takes away from the "sparkle" to have them set this way?

Commodore...like I said, just my opinion. It doesn't take that long to take off my jewelry. I'd much rather do that than lose a finger, so don't come crying here if it happens to you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

And no I don't wear a safety vest, but even if I did, so what big deal? (I assume you are joking here). I use common sense in the barn, I don't wear jewelry around the horses, and I wear a helmet, but I am not some safety freak. Also like I said, freak accidents happen at the most unlikely times and in the most unlikely ways. Life is short, but it's so easy to help prevent that type of accident.

The hardest to learn was the least complicated.
    The hardest to learn was the least complicated.

OMG.....I am SO not in this league!! 10K on a ring?? Not in my lifetime. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

I will never wear my ring while I'm at the barn again. A little over a year ago I was cleaning the barn. We had to go up a fairly steep ramp to dump into the manure spreader. It was raining and I slipped. I smashed my finger when I fell and broke it. I was wearing my engagement ring and was not able to get it off. My finger swelled to several times it's normal size and I ended up having to get it cut off. That was not fun. Now, I wear it all day unless I'm at the barn. When I get there, I take it off put it in it's "special place" do what I need to do and then I put it back on. I haven't lost it, I haven't ruined it, and hopefully I won't have to get another one cut off.

People with 3 carrat diamond rings should not be cleaning out stalls.....kind of like driving a Jaguar and living in a one bedroom bungalow. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin' it back- A Cowboy's Guide to Life

Not to sound snotty, but that is what I'm saying (reread post)--I don't clean out stalls, I don't do any "heavy lifting," all I do is ride (and groom when I can, b/c I love the horseys) so I am not taht concerned about injuring myself with a small rock, even if it is 3 carats.

By the way, it doesn't look that big--I definitely am not going for the dripping-in-jewelry look and I could never stand the tacky, fur-clad, diamond-covered horse show moms that I would see at Washington or teh National, who ONLY came to those shows and had never pet a horse in their lives. My ring is just simple and beautiful and not distasteful at all, IMO.

Hehee, Commadore, that's what I was meant!!

It only comes off when I scuba - otherwise I wear it.

It's white gold, so iodine will stain it -eek the first time I forgot that! But, I had it plated with something ( starts with an R- sorry!) and it's shiny and happy. There's simply no way for it to 'hang' on anything...which is why I chose it.

My husband is an electrical contractor, so he doesn't wear one. I need him alive more than I need the world to know he's married
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	5536  

I have my Graduate Gemologist degree and have worked as a jewelry appraiser, designer and taught classes in gemstone identification and diamond grading. I've seen many rings that have been through all kinds of mishaps.
    Gold, in either white or yellow is actually very soft. You could bend a ring with your fingers. Gold is made harder by the metal it is alloyed (mixed) with. 24 Karat gold is pure gold, going down to 18k, 14k (the most common in the U.S.) and 10k. It can be alloyed with several other metals. Since it is soft it does scratch easily. Gold rings will have to be "reshanked" over the years, replacing the thin area opposite the center stone.
    Platinum is a very hard metal. I have only seen 1 squashed platinum ring, and it had been squished by a car transmission (it did save the finger). Platinum is more difficult to work, i.e. make into a ring or polish, so labor my be higher. It is one of the rarest of elements.
    Titanium is also strong for its weight, but is more brittle. It is also difficult to work (ask your farrier about titanium horseshoes!)
    Compared to the diamond, the metal in the mounting is usually a small proportion of the cost of the ring.
    I wear my rings to ride, but always wear gloves since a ring can get caught and "deglove" a finger quite easily.
    I encourage active women to choose a design that protects their diamond, like a bezel or channel setting or one with "shoulders" that come up to the level of the top of the stone. If the diamond takes a blow (think whack on a door jam or jump) between prongs, there is a chance that the stone may fracture or even break.
    A 4 or 6 prong setting will not make a diamond sparkle more than a bezel setting. The flash of a diamond comes from the light that enters the top of the diamond, reflects off of the bottom facets of the stone and back out the top to your eye. If a diamond doesn't reflect white light to you or sparkle (the sparkle part comes out the little facets on the top of the stone, white light from the big table facet) it means that the stone is not cut to the best advantage. A "dead" stone tends to look like it has a black center. Estate jewelry often has stones like this, either round or "Mine cut" in shape.
    At the barn there are some things you can do to protect your gemstones. Wear gloves for your saftey as well as your jewelry. Proper mounting is next, having the mountings (prongs or bezel) checked every year or two and protecting your stones from thermal shock. If its freezing cold, don't stick your hands in hot water - going from cold to hot too quickly can break the stone. This also applies to hot tub/snow bank transitions as well! Make sure that you don't get bleach on your jewelry since it will weaken the solder that holds heads on shanks and joined wedding sets together.
    Stones like emerald and opal usually don't last long as "every day" rings since they are very prone to breakage. Diamond, sapphires and rubies are a much safer bet.
    I'll try to find a picture of the light bouncing stuff and post it too, since my explaination is probably clear as mud.

Since we are on the topic of jewelry and gruesome accidents (ok, I know that wasn't the original topic, but...), I have to put in a plea to leave all earrings at home, including studs...
    Many years ago my trainer was walking down the aisle when a new arrival with (as we discovered) some bad stall habits whipped his head out and bit her diamond stud earring off...taking the ear lobe with it.
    Luckily (I am NOT making this up) the student she was about to teach was an undertaker -- he packed the lobe on ice, took her to the ER, and got her patched up. But neither she nor I have ever worn earrings at the barn again. Sadly, I now own many "singleton" earrings, since I'm always taking them off and stashing them in the car or my briefcase, and then forgetting to retrieve then, but I'd rather have one earring than one ear...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I take off my engagement ring and only wear my wedding band while at the barn for several reasons. I'd freak if I lost the diamond (it is after all sentimental) and it snags on gloves and manes. I went with the nice solitare, 1.5k, surrounded by other diamonds and a very plain,thin wedding band. I keep the band on and have had no problem. But-I'm the type that shows up at the barn sans makeup, no jewlery and old clothes. Not the type that looks like they are going to Saks after they ride. I can't stay that clean!

In that instance I think the trainer would have suffered an ear trimming even if she didn't have an earring on. Usually a stud earring will pull out, leaving a slit from the hole to the edge of the ear. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Insurance is not very expensive...you can get a rider on your homeowner's or renter's insurance...it won't replace the sentimentality, but it will replace it monetarily so you can replace it if lost or trashed.
    I agree about earrings! Necklaces, too. However, my ring is the ONLY jewelry I wear to barn...and by the way, people with big stones are not immune from cleaning stalls, etc....hey - the SO bought the ring, NOT ME$$$!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] And he's no longer the SO, but I still have the ring - on right hand, of course! Hate to waste a good stone!

***My horse bucked off your honor student!***

Insurance-YES! A "rider" for jewelry isn't that expensive.

I personally find cleaning stalls to be very theraputic. Nothing like seeing immediate results [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

"rider"...and I, too, find cleaning stalls therapeutic...I generally pick mine out b-4 I leave even though we do have someone whose job it is to do it...the "EQ HORSE LEASE PRICE" thread on H/J forum speaks to the issue of those who "ride" but don't do any of the "grungy" work - such as - gasp - grooming and tacking up your own horse...I never liked that side of the circuit - wasn't jealous, just thought they weren't TRUE riders, like me...HA HA HA - I get D-I-R-T-Y! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

***My horse bucked off your honor student!***

My jewelry (bgoosewood, it came from his years in the pawn business, the evidence of many failed relationships [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) is usually covered in horse spit, sweat and wormer.

Whenever he gifted me with the latest "OH S**T, it's her birthday!" present, my usual response was "How many board feet of fence, bales of hay, etc, can I get for this one?"

I lost a marquise saphire surrounded by tiny diamonds under a new round bale in the snow one winter. He located it the following spring with a metal detector.

Sticky-up settings will RUIN your lovely riding gloves.

Leave the good stuff at home or string it on a chain and tuck it under your shirt. How sentimental will it be when you have no finger to show it off on? (Or, if you are lucky like me, you just plain lose the jewelry somewhere in the field?)

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Mr. Poltroon bought me a horse instead of a ring. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Wow, Kestrel... thanks so much for sharing your expertise. I took a look at that site for titanium rings... the ones with the platinum inlay are really cool! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I wonder whether a regular jewelry shop could polish them up if they got scratched, or whether you'd need to send them to NASA or somewhere? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Commodore, I have to admit that I couldn't quite picture in my mind what 3 carats would look like all in one place. Saw a picture on DeBeers. And girl, all I can say is Yeeeeeehaaaaw! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Good points made about safety in the barn. Personally, I'm such a dimwit I'd likely lose any jewelry I took off before riding. I've found more anklets (which aren't comfortable under paddock boots) in jeans pockets months later than I care to admit. I agree though that wearing gloves is a great idea, both for personal safety and the safeguarding of your sparkly stuff. At least that's what I would do, given some sparkly stuff to protect. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

MY husband is the pawnshop king! He has a GPD on his dashboard set for pawnshops. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] We even got our wedding rings in a pawnshop. Mine is 18k, very old, rounded, like a curtain ring - and I never take it off, except the time I broke my fingers and the MD in the ER threatened to cut if off (actually - he said "your choice, take the ring off,, or we'll have to cut your finger off when it becomes gangrenous". Now, I'm stubborn, but not crazy!. My anniversary ring - trinity setting, 2 diamonds, centre sapphire, never goes to the barn.
    I always wear plain gold hoops or diamond studs and a gold Cartier ( 3 intertwined bands of gold) bracelet on my right wrist...
    and ridiculous accidents DO happen. I have worn that bracelet for about 15 or so years.
    Last year, coming back from a show, I ran my hand down one of Fred's back legs to wrap him. He picked his leg up quickly, thinking that is what I wanted, and SOMEHOW my bracelet got hooked on his stud. He put his leg down, (until that moment I didn't realize what had happened) - and of course when he put his foot down, my shoulder yanked down with it, with my hand bent in a horrible position under his foot. Thank God it was this horse!! He picked his foot up the second he felt my hand under it and held it suspended until I could get the band out from the crevice between the stud and the shoe. It really hurt! The bracelet is horribly bent out of shape - but did I learn from this and stop wearing it? Noooo. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] I just try to remember to shove it up my arm when I am working around the horses.