The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Equisis, they ARE different now. The Diploma comes in I think three flap types and I've ridden mine through Training at least and it's a great saddle. It has air-padded flaps and a nice little block and I love the balance -- it lets you be wherever you need to be and still feel comfortable.

I have one of the new Wise Equestrian saddles - the monoflap with calfskin, that I bought for a steal off Ebay from a lady who decided she was no longer going to carry saddles anymore. It had only been used once, so it's still brand new and I just oiled it for the first time yesterday. I've already taken out the gullet to see which size came with the saddle and I will state that it's MUCH easier to swap out than the Wintecs/Bates saddles.

I haven't ridden in it yet, but I will report if anybody is interested. Hopefully, it will be tonight! Oh, and they start new at $2100 (calfskin and grained leather model) and our local tack shop will start carrying them in August of this summer.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

The Bates Caprilli Event is a really nice well-balanced saddle with very forward flaps. If my were to get stolen, I would definitely try to find another to replace it. Only negative thing I can think to say about it is that the seat is quite hard, but of course it isn't the sort of saddle that you park your butt in for long periods! No longer on the market, but occasional nice ones pop up used and on eBay. The ones made in Australia have nicer leather than the ones made in Vietnam. There is one poster earlier in the thread who has posted frequently about problems with her saddle, but I've had several Bates/Wintec saddles and never had any problems despite using them hard on many horses.