The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eventing saddle with adjustable tree?

Opinions on which is the best for the money?

I ride in a Collegiate Convertible Diploma with the adjustable gullet system by bates/wintec. I love it because it also has wool flocking and has the option of coming with a longer flap for taller riders. I bought mine new 4yrs ago for $1200, but I think they may be a little less now.

I LOVE my Collegiate Convertible Diploma. It's super comfortable and fits my high withered TB great. It also keeps my leg in a great position and I feel very secure in it. It took no time to break it in either.

Like my Pessoa Legacy Event. The changeable gullet plate has worked well for my guy who bounces between M and MW. It can handle some moderate flocking adjustments, too. Look for Legacy Events manufactured after 2009.
    <<Reste sur le cheval.>>

I use the Diploma as well. It has worked well for me and the long flap has been GREAT for my freaky long legs. I've flocked it to two horses so far. It does best with my Ecogold half pad under it to make sure there are no pressure points, but it's well balanced and comfortable. I bought mine new maybe 3-4 years ago for $900 and it came with free matching bridle.

The old-style Wintec Pro Jump, followed closely by the Collegiate Convertible Diploma. The Pro Jump is cheaper to acquire, easy-clean, and has a grippy equisuede seat and knee roll. The Diploma gets a nod for being leather, adjustable, AND wool flocked.

Honorable mentions go to the Ovation 4-Star XCH Event Saddle (more of a specialty product with its very forward flap) and the new Tekna S series (great price point, potentially a great successor to the old-style Wintec Pro Jump, but still new to the market and therefore unproven.)

Insert the usual disclaimers here about the saddle needing to fit your horse to be useful.

The new P.Dutton Wise Air, either with the interchangeable gullet or the RTF system. That thing makes you feel invincible !

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    The new P.Dutton Wise Air, either with the interchangeable gullet or the RTF system. That thing makes you feel invincible !
    I suppose this begs the question of "What price range are we talking about?" Generally when people ask about adjustables, I figure they're talking about the sub-$1500 price range.

Once you go over $2000 MSRP, then I agree that the Wise Air is a contender (although I subtract points for poor availability--let's hope it improves as the year goes on). The Classic Saddlery wellup adjustables and the Lazer adjustables are also nice.

Only get a Bates, Wintec, or Collegiate if you're cool with the tree cracking and the company not fixing it. It took me a year to get mine fixed, and the still attached the panels on 3/4" off center. I had to have that fixed on my own dime. Horrible horrible customer service, and I will never buy anything distributed by Weatherbeeta again. They just don't care if they sell you something that won't hold up.

That can happen on some of those saddles with laminate trees. However, my friend had a ten year old Wintec dressage saddle, the tree cracked and broke, she didn't even have the paperwork anymore, and Wintec replaced it free of charge (as the trees have a lifetime guarantee).

My best friend also had a Wintec 250 in which the tree cracked and the company offered to replace it, but she chose to go with a different saddle (she endurance races and just plain wore the saddle out with all the miles).

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, I HATE it when they do that!

But I have ridden HARD (like multi hour mountain rides, eventing, everything) in that Collegiate for five years, as a well as a Wintec I have sold on.

I had bought a very nice Bates Momentum on ebay. Would have loved it (the "Princess and the Pea" Mare did) but if was too forward for my 5'4 self... would have only worked for me in XC length stirrups, and I need a saddle that will work for everyday jumping at this point. Sold it to my friend who is 5'10 with legs to her eyeballs and she loves it to death (uses it for everyday flatting as well as jumping)

My disclaimer here is just because it has an adjustable tree does not mean the shape of the tree and panels will fit the horse.

I am actually very happy with the Toulouse genesis system and have it in the Marielle (or however it is spelled). I know a lot of people bash those saddles but it fits my high withered, narrow tb mare beautifully and it is almost as comfy as the devoucoux monoflap that I ride our other horse in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    Only get a Bates, Wintec, or Collegiate if you're cool with the tree cracking and the company not fixing it. It took me a year to get mine fixed, and the still attached the panels on 3/4" off center. I had to have that fixed on my own dime. Horrible horrible customer service, and I will never buy anything distributed by Weatherbeeta again. They just don't care if they sell you something that won't hold up.
    I had quite the opposite experience with Weatherbeeta.

The point of the tree on my saddle where you attach the gullets broke, but after my local Weatherbeeta dealer contacted them and I provided a proof of purchase it was easily taken care of. I did have to pay for shipping to the tack store, which is 3+hrs away from me, but otherwise pretty painless.

Smile

The Pessoa saddles are getting better and better. The Legacy Event with flocked panels and an adjustable tree is a really nice saddle, but sometimes the flap is too forward for some riders. We just got the new monoflap Pessoa in and it is LOVELY. The pictures in the magazines are awful. It too sports wool panels and the XCH system.

Kent & Masters makes a flocked adjustable monoflap saddle for $1695. I've fitted and sold a few and have been extremely impressed with the fit and balance for horse and rider.

The Collegiate Diploma and new Wintec 500 jump are also nice alternatives, but the tree point length being so short has been an issue on narrower horses.

In regards to warranty, all of the above offer "lifetime" warranties under normal use. Weatherbeeta has now changed their warranty to read "lifetime OR 10 years." It has gotten very difficult to deal with them on warranty issues in general, and if they do decide to fix it, be ready to be without your saddle for a few months. Also, they just replaced the tree in a Bates dressage for me and the saddle I got back was a mess... crooked and lots of exposed staples, stitches, etc. I don't know but I'm assuming the company is having some problems in general. The Collegiate Nobility, which has been a great saddle for us in the past has become a total piece of crap. The leather is substandard, it is flocked with something that looks a lot like shredded dryer sheets and sometimes the billets are symmetrically attached and sometimes they really aren't.

I've had good experiences with Pessoa and Thorowgood/Fairfax/K&M warranty issues (but very few issues compared with that of Wintec/Bates/Collegiate). Sometimes they have gone above and beyond even after the warranty period is up. These are the companies I prefer to deal with!

So speaking of the Kent & Masters (sorry to hijack a bit)....does anyone have an opinoin on the monoflap vs standard?

http://www.classicsaddlery.com/saddl...ersjumping.htm

The monoflap and dual flap are the exact same saddle, save exterior non-adjustable blocks on the mono and Velcro blocks on the dual. Also, the bulk added by a long girth versus the dressage girth used with a monoflap. It's mostly rider preference really.

Personally, I like the ability of being able to move the blocks to suit different horses, stadium vs, XC, etc. Some people just like the look of a monoflap better.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSaddleFitter View Post
    The monoflap and dual flap are the exact same saddle, save exterior non-adjustable blocks on the mono and Velcro blocks on the dual. Also, the bulk added by a long girth versus the dressage girth used with a monoflap. It's mostly rider preference really.

Personally, I like the ability of being able to move the blocks to suit different horses, stadium vs, XC, etc. Some people just like the look of a monoflap better.
    Thank you! Very helpful!

Love my pessoa legacy xp3! easy to adjuest the tree and fits my long legs!

The new Duttun RZ saddles are great! They come with the monoflap option and they have adjustable trees.

Are you talking adjustable gullet or actually adjustable tree? If you truly mean tree, you're talking higher price range, but I LOVE the Schleese monoflap XC saddle. Flaps actually fit my long legs and it is secure as anything I've ridden in while being very close contact. I'll never be able to afford one of my own, but I can dream, right? It has the tree that is adjustable (albeit via saddle fitter).

If you mean adjustable gullet, Bates makes (made) a fairly nice XC saddle with the gullet system and options for long flap, forward flap, etc. I can't seem to pull it up online and I don't own one, but I have ridden in it and it was pretty nice.

In response to those who are suggesting the Collegiate Diploma, I have one (bought it years ago while Collegiate saddles were made by Millers, not Weatherbeeta) and while it has held up remarkably well for its age, it is not a saddle I would recommend for eventing past BN or N. It is a straight close contact, and does not really offer the knee or thigh support necessary for more serious XC riding. Perhaps they make them differently now, but I would go with something a little more geared towards eventing.