The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I need some pad help with my Tad Coffin

Hi all,

I just bought a used TC A5G, and I love the ride in it! Unfortunately, it's a little tight at the top of my horse's shoulders (just below the withers on each side) and then it gets looser as the flap continues downward. The gullet seems to fit her, as I can fit most of my hand in the front and it doesn't look like it touches her spine in any place.

I've written to TC saddles to ask for their advice as far as their padding goes, but does anyone have any suggestions for other pads? There's a Thinline rep at a tack shop nearby - has anyone had good experiences with Thinline pads and TC saddles? Or maybe Beval pads?

I have tried a thick wither relief half pad (similar to this one: http://www.smartpakequine.com/equine...x?cm_vc=Search) But it just seemed to tilt the saddle up in the back too much.

Anyway, I'm sorry for rambling, but I need help!! Thanks in advance!!

It sounds like the saddle is not the right fit for your horse. These saddles have foam panels, so you can't have it flocked. "Too tight" probably will be made worse with an extra pad.

I would see what Tad Coffin says. I just bought a new one (the horses and I love it!), and during the purchase/demo/fitting process, he could not have been more helpful about fitting me and my horses.

Personally, if yours does not have his newer flex tree, now might be a good time to ask him about redoing the saddle to get one.

I bet he would look at a picture for you too.
    Last edited by ToTheNines; Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Actually Tad exchanged this saddle for my prior Tad. I emailed pics and spoke with him on the phone. He also sent all the pads, a girth, and a square pad in a beautiful padded box. I have a different horse now and she is wide. The saddle fits her but she is fat and round (and beautiful). I just broke down and got a breastplate for schooling at home. I would like to buy a new TC, but mine is in perfect condition and is not that old. Hmmm. I find that the pads can move around pretty easily on any horse if not placed properly. The saddle is not tight. I use minimal padding. And I can stick a crop under the pommel
    when I am sitting on it, so it isn't on the spine. Just moves a little when I step into the outside stirrup, etc

Quote Originally Posted by susy999 View Post
    Hi all,

I just bought a used TC A5G, and I love the ride in it! Unfortunately, it's a little tight at the top of my horse's shoulders (just below the withers on each side) and then it gets looser as the flap continues downward. The gullet seems to fit her, as I can fit most of my hand in the front and it doesn't look like it touches her spine in any place.

I've written to TC saddles to ask for their advice as far as their padding goes, but does anyone have any suggestions for other pads? There's a Thinline rep at a tack shop nearby - has anyone had good experiences with Thinline pads and TC saddles? Or maybe Beval pads?

I have tried a thick wither relief half pad (similar to this one: http://www.smartpakequine.com/equine...x?cm_vc=Search) But it just seemed to tilt the saddle up in the back too much.

Anyway, I'm sorry for rambling, but I need help!! Thanks in advance!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Actually Tad exchanged this saddle for my prior Tad. I emailed pics and spoke with him on the phone. He also sent all the pads, a girth, and a square pad in a beautiful padded box. I have a different horse now and she is wide. The saddle fits her but she is fat and round (and beautiful). I just broke down and got a breastplate for schooling at home. I would like to buy a new TC, but mine is in perfect condition and is not that old. Hmmm. I find that the pads can move around pretty easily on any horse if not placed properly. The saddle is not tight. I use minimal padding. And I can stick a crop under the pommel
    when I am sitting on it, so it isn't on the spine. Just moves a little when I step into the outside stirrup, etc
    Are you the OP?

Anyway, to the OP, something that is too small, i.e. "tight," can't be fixed by using pads. That will just make it tighter.

Unless Tad Coffin saddles have found out a way to make that not true...

Unclear how padding a saddle that is already too tight will help.

OP, Tad Coffins fit every horse with their majik tree, didn't you know?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Unclear how padding a saddle that is already too tight will help.

OP, Tad Coffins fit every horse with their majik tree, didn't you know?
    I never understand how exchanging one saddle with a "majik tree" with another saddle with the exact same tree is supposed to make a difference. The whole point is that they are ALL THE SAME TREE.

And then the, 'just stick it even higher up on the shoulders and add a pad' mentality to boot.

Rip off ala mode.

Saddles move when they don't fit. A well fitted saddle is naturally stable on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by geldingsRgreat View Post
    These saddles have foam panels, so you can't have it flocked.
    I thought you could get foam-flocked saddles reflocked with wool? Not that this would help the OP, but as an aside.
    I'm comin', Elizabeth!

Quote Originally Posted by lachevaline View Post
    I thought you could get foam-flocked saddles reflocked with wool? Not that this would help the OP, but as an aside.
    Depends on the construction. TCs have a very thin little space for the foam, I am not sure how well they'd convert. You need more wool than than the thin layer of foam. It wouldn't be my suggestion for a good experiment.

What the OP describes sounds like overall a poor shape for her horse's back. the TCs I have seen are very "A shaped" which sounds consistent with it being tight and then sticking out too much lower down. I don't know of any pad that will solve that issue.
    ~Veronica

How long have you had the new saddle? If not long then I would ask Tad to exchange it for a wide tree (unless he doesn't make wide trees??)

Last fall I got a new flexible tree TCBS and he took ny old A5 as partial trade. Amazingly enough the new saddle fits both my high withered TB and my very round (with no withers) WB.

Did he send you the leather pad with the cutout for the withers? I would certainly use that since it gives the horse extra room over the withers while keeping the rest of the saddle flat.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Depends on the construction. TCs have a very thin little space for the foam, I am not sure how well they'd convert. You need more wool than than the thin layer of foam. It wouldn't be my suggestion for a good experiment.

I see - thanks for the info.
    I'm comin', Elizabeth!

Quote Originally Posted by lachevaline View Post
    I see - thanks for the info.
    I begged my saddle fitter to explore the option of a switch on my old pancake saddle and she said no. For the switch to be feasible, you need a specific amount of space/room and a particular construction
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    Are you the OP?

Anyway, to the OP, something that is too small, i.e. "tight," can't be fixed by using pads. That will just make it tighter.

Unless Tad Coffin saddles have found out a way to make that not true...
    Am I an OP? Are you paranoid?

Wait - I am confused - is susy999 and Atlas Shrugged the same person?

If so, maybe TC would let you switch out?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Am I an OP? Are you paranoid?
    Nope. I was just trying to reconcile the information. The first sentence of your post seemed to indicate that you were replying to the posters who were answering the OP, so I was trying to figure out if both those posts were from the OP.

Starting your post with the first sentence "Actually Tad exchanged this saddle for my prior Tad." Implied to me that "this" saddle was the saddle in question, and that you were the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    Nope. I was just trying to reconcile the information. The first sentence of your post seemed to indicate that you were replying to the posters who were answering the OP, so I was trying to figure out if both those posts were from the OP.

Starting your post with the first sentence "Actually Tad exchanged this saddle for my prior Tad." Implied to me that "this" saddle was the saddle in question, and that you were the OP.
    Maybe Atlas meant s/he had the same model saddle as the OP?
    I'm comin', Elizabeth!