The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default The Religious Folk that stop by....

Not sure if this is politically incorrect or not, and I haven't been home when these people come on my new property, but I get religious pamphlets every week on my door when I'm not home. I haven't posted no trespassing signs yet as there isn't a good spot to post them, but these folks have scared the living daylights out of me when I've housesat at a friends farm who has all kinds of no trespassing signs.

I respect their religion however have my own faith and church, but I don't like them coming to my house unannounced and I feel horrible when they were at my friends farm and scared me and I told them to leave. I was in the middle of nowhere and had no idea if they were legit or not and was on a timetable to get things done and couldn't talk anyway...

Is there a good way to handle people coming to the farm? I don't want to be mean to these people, but at the same time, I'm not interested in becoming a mormon either...and most of these folks are mormons in my area who go door to door.

Is this awful of me?
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Wink

On the walkway up to your house, paint a chalk outline of a body such as from a crime scene. May add some red paint for effect, then toss a few religious pamplets around it. See if they're brave enough to venture forth then.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    On the walkway up to your house, paint a chalk outline of a body such as from a crime scene. May add some red paint for effect, then toss a few religious pamplets around it. See if they're brave enough to venture forth then.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I got rid of some persistent ones by bringing up molester priests (not their religion but the discussion sent them on their way). Bring up something really uncomfortable and they will leave.

They will generally leave if you ask them to, but I do understand how you feel. I don't want strangers wandering on to my farm, and especially not when I'm home alone.

If it's always Mormons, call the local Mission President (the local bishop should be able to help you out with a contact number) and explain how you feel to him. He can direct his troops somewhere more potentially fruitful.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
    I got rid of some persistent ones by bringing up molester priests (not their religion but the discussion sent them on their way). Bring up something really uncomfortable and they will leave.
    Invite them to the barn as you have sheath cleaning to do?
    GNU Terry Prachett

I've been told by someone that if they are JW's, and you tell them you were a JW previously but have left the church and the faith, they will leave and never return. They are not allowed to talk to people who have left the church, apparently.

Don't know if that's true or not. Never tried it. I usually email whoever has left the pamphlet and ask them to not return or send any mailings. If they leave or send more, I send an email with the words "harassment" included. That's worked.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I used to have a close friend in High School who was a JW. She said that once the brothers and sisters went to a home and a man answered the door utterly naked. The sisters retreated back to the car and the brothers remained to talk to the man...so answering the door in his birthday suit didn't work on this bunch. I remember that story from so long ago as the mental image I got was just priceless.

Just wanted to say I'm a Christian but really am not fond of the door to door type stuff either. When they show up here, I walk out, thank them for the Watchtower and tell them I already have a church. That typically keeps them from coming back.

I will tell the that I have a church that I am very happy with. Once day I did have a moment and when asked why we celebrate Christmas I went into the entire Pagan holiday of Winter Solstice, history of the Catholic church and that Jesus was most likely born in March.

That was the last time I saw any JW.

There are advantages to being educated and loquacious.

Years ago when we lived in an A frame with tons of windows, the JWs would come by every Sunday morning just as we were eating breakfast. We had a long driveway and I would see them from a distance and say, "here they come AGAIN!" There was no way to ignore them because they would come up the steps and be looking through the window into our living and dining rooms. I started out being polite but it soon became exasperating and I had to become very rude. I told them to leave and never return or I would consider them trespassers and call the police as soon as I saw their car coming up the drive. I called their church and left a message to the same affect and called the police to let them know that I would be calling in the event that they returned. The officer I spoke with was laughing and told me that his wife had done the same thing. I think they have a lot of nerve to intrude on other's in the name of their religion.

While I respect their right to worship as they please, I do not like them coming up my driveway and selling their religion. I used to have a handy dandy very large goat that would circle their vehicle and not let them out, but she has passed away.

Even my "neighborhood witch" and "witch parking" signs don't deter them so pretty soon I'm putting up a "no soliciting" sign and then calling the local Kingdom Hall and kindly telling them that I want their visits to stop.

I tell them to look around this world and see what religions have done and are doing, from making lawbreaking trespassers of them in front of me, to blowing people up in the name of some god.
    Who would want to be part of that?

I tell them if they don't leave immediately I will call the sheriff and have them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law they are breaking.

They really are just one more trespasser out there breaking the law and really, who knows who they are and what they are after?
    If your religion expects you to break laws, what kind of religion is that to follow, be it trespassing or blowing people up?

Plus, like any other trespasser out there, they are a liability if one of them get hurt on your land.

I have enthusiastic JRTs and a slightly muddy driveway. I just let them 'accidentally' get out of the house to jump all over them in their nice clothes. Now they just leave their pamphlets in my mailbox.

...'to blowing people in the name of God"
    Sorry, but your typo cracked me up!
    What church is this!!???

Quote Originally Posted by partlycloudy View Post
    ...'to blowing people in the name of God"
    Sorry, but your typo cracked me up!
    What church is this!!???
    Fixed it, I think, I am not sure?

I don't know what church those belong to, but if they come thru a well posted gate, full of no trespassing signs, over a cattleguard, drive a mile to the house, they are trespassing, whoever they are.
    No telling what brand of religion they are pushing.

I think you should have just left it...funnier that way

Front gate. I love my front gate They hang their pamphlets on the gate and I throw them out

Have you told them you are not interested? Especially at your new property? They sill come back every so often incase something has changed in your life that results inyou being interested. If it were Jehovahs Witnesses they were passing around a flyer for the memorial that was thursday night. I go up to the kingdom hall when i can and still got one in my door. Have you taken a pamphlet before to be nice? Well thats when they think your interested and dont want to miss a single person incase they are searching for a religion.
    In my oppinion i dont think people should be posting about this subject because then everyone churps in on how annoying they are and it offends people. You dont know how many JW on here. And im sure most of them wouldnt complain about this post just let it go cause they dont argue.
    Im not a JW but dont appreciate the complaints...the little jokes about leaving the stuff everywhere or coming to the door in your birthday suit...thats just ignorant
    Nothing better than an OTTB.... Just Plan Partners,Penny, you have stolen my heart<3

http://secondchancethoroughbreds.org

Quote Originally Posted by Aven View Post
    I have enthusiastic JRTs and a slightly muddy driveway. I just let them 'accidentally' get out of the house to jump all over them in their nice clothes. Now they just leave their pamphlets in my mailbox.
    You know it's illegal to leave anything but U.S. Mail in the mailbox. It has to have postage and it has to have gone through the post office. Report them to the post office. Postmaster will tell them to stop.

My brother had a solution. He answered the door. JW put his foot in the door to keep the door from closing. My brother heard several low growls behind him and the clicking of dog nails on the floor. He turned to see his four dogs...all black...2 labs, a chow and a black and tan English mastiff heading towards the door. He turned back to the door (seconds, mind you) and the proselytizer had jumped off the porch down the sidewalk and was already in the street. Never came back.

We don't have a problem because my dogs have a barking frenzy when anyone rings the doorbell. Neighbors and friends come to the back door. Strangers ring the bell.

JumpingAddict, I completley disagree. You and the rest of the citizens of our country are free (at least for a while) to practice whatever religion they want. When you attempt to jam it down my throat, I get offended. No trespassing and no soliciting signs apply to everyone...Mormans and JW included.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/