The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Glory Cat has one of the most unbelievable sport horse pedigrees I have ever seen.
    And it shows in the video! He's actually quite a nice mover IMO, esp for a horse just of the track, and appears to have a good temperament as well. If I were shopping for an OT project, I'd be all over him
    Last edited by CatPS; Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM.

The first horse Hermans soldier I think is put together fairly well, and for $500 I would certainly look at him. His hind end isn't that straight, and I agree with the others who said the excessive hock action is most likely tension. If I were to be picky, I would prefer a horse with a little bit lower stifle (has to do with jumping ability, not soundness) and shorter cannons. Other than those nit-picky things I like his look. I like the short back too

Skip the second horse, he's not put together well enough to be useful as an english discipline competition horse.

The third horse -Glory Cat- is VERY,very nice. He's going to have nice gaits and he looks like he should be able to jump well based on conformation. His neck will be better with re-muscling.

Keep us posted as to who you end up with!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Interesting that others really like his hind end movement. To me, he looked very "hock-y"; snatching up his hind legs higher than normal.

Standing still I thought he was one of the best conformed rescues I have seen. Slightly short necked, but not too bad. Unless you are looking for an upper level horse, his neck should not be a problem.

I also didn't mind his hind leg structure. Nothing is perfect, especially a $600 horse. It is within acceptable parameters.

One can dissect these horses as if they are standing in a conformation lineup, but they are not conformation horses. Pretty is as pretty does. However, in his case, his hind end is not pretty doing its job.

Word of warning: My friend lost out on a NV horse last week because while she was waiting for her application to be approved, someone else came in and grabbed the horse she was interested in.

Have you already had your application approved by them? If not, start the process right away (it is good for 2 years). The good NV horses do not stay around long. They go in a matter of days, not weeks and the best ones are out of there in the blink of an eye.

[It is also risky to post pictures on the Internet. Someone might come across this thread and have bought one of your choices by nightfall. But, if you need extra pairs of eyes, then it is a risk that is probably wirth taking.]

On the thought of "pretty is as pretty does", if I liked the basic conformation of one of these horses, I would move straight to the video and not get hung up on every conformation flaw. If the horse moves athletically, has a good overstep and "swings his parts" (as opposed to jigging around with short steps) that is the horse you want.

Good luck in your search.
    Good advice here. I like Herman's Soldier's build, and if I were close with the time and space to let a horse down, get it some body work, and gradually work through tension issues I'd think he was a great possibility. I would certainly be cautious, but his movement with the snatching up his hind legs is one you'll see on MANY videos of horses off the track, so while it would suggest attention needed, it doesn't scare me away.

I don't think he's too straight at all, and a lot of his angles look similar to my horse's. Here my horse is doing the same kind of lean forward which makes his shoulder look as if it's steep, but get him balanced and his shoulder looks way more sloped. http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6081/6...a6e2516691.jpg
    It certainly doesn't restrict freedom of movement:
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7243/7...8b461f55d6.jpg

My guy had scope and schooled upper level x-c without trouble. He was totally sound with the work after a (short and not overly successful) racing career, but is turning out happier as a dressage horse because his mind just wasn't in x-c. Lucky for me since I was looking for a dressage horse, but an important reminder for you if you're looking for an eventer the mind matters most!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

So I ended up getting Herman and couldn't be happier with him! He trailered great (4 hour trip) and has settled right in. I picked him up on Saturday and Sunday I got on him. We rode in the ring first w/t/c. He went around like a giraffe just like he did in the video but soon relaxed a bit and at the walk actually started to stretch down and out for me. I trotted him over a pile of poles (his 2nd time "jumping") and then popped him over a crossrail. He didn't bat an eye. Then we went out on a trail ride with 3 other people and crossed a creek and a concrete bridge with no issues! I got on him today and the wind was blowing, there was repaving being done on the road next to the ring and the bottlefed calves were in the field adjacent to the ring. Again no issues! He even started relaxing for me at the trot and I got a couple really nice strides of long and low- like almost on thr buckle! So...needless to say I am smitten and walking on cloud 9!!!

Congratulations
    I love these sorts of updates

course now we all want/demand photos of him at home!!!
    (& no we will not name him for you, you need to sort that out between you & him )

Wonderful!!

Quote Originally Posted by NightBefore View Post
    So...needless to say I am smitten and walking on cloud 9!!!
    Congrats! Photos are required, no?

PS So glad you took the chance on him.

Ok these are the photos that I have so far. I need to get my husband to come out and take pictures of his under saddle for me.

On the way home:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2&l=63de410e09

Already great friends with my other OTTB:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2&l=487e62b2a1

Love his face!:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2&l=b87651d9bb

Yay! Congratulations! He looks like he's settling in super

So cute
    So glad you took a chance on him! he is a super nice guy.
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

That's awesome! I am sure you will have a blast with him.

He reminds me a lot of my last OTTB who was a great horse.