The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle SMELLS mildew-y?

(I'm pretty sure "mildew-y" isn't a word...)

I salvaged an old saddle from some deep dark hidden spot at the barn. It was moldy but decent shape. I dragged it home and cleaned it. Now it looks nice (like an entirely different saddle) but stinks. It still smells like old, moldy, musty leather. Now my house is starting to smell like it so the saddle has been banished to the garage.

Any tips on de-stinking leather? Since the leather is still in good shape, I'm hesitant to use anything too harsh on it. OTOH, the saddle was given to me for free from the BO (who was cleaning out her tack room) so it'd not like I have any money invested either.

FWIW, I just cleaned it with my usual glycerine soap...

Quote Originally Posted by oharabear View Post
    (I'm pretty sure "mildew-y" isn't a word...)

I salvaged an old saddle from some deep dark hidden spot at the barn. It was moldy but decent shape. I dragged it home and cleaned it. Now it looks nice (like an entirely different saddle) but stinks. It still smells like old, moldy, musty leather. Now my house is starting to smell like it so the saddle has been banished to the garage.

Any tips on de-stinking leather? Since the leather is still in good shape, I'm hesitant to use anything too harsh on it. OTOH, the saddle was given to me for free from the BO (who was cleaning out her tack room) so it'd not like I have any money invested either.

FWIW, I just cleaned it with my usual glycerine soap...
    You need to give it a white vinegar sponge bath. If it smells like mildew, you didn't kill the mold.

So:

Distilled white vinegar sponged everywhere. I mean everywhere.

Let dry (and you didn't get the leather that wet.)

If you are very thorough, you can go over it again with water and then clean/condition as you would a healthy saddle with leather that is supple or dry like the way the stuff in this saddle feels.

For a very bad case, you can do the vinegar treatment more than once. But you'll know you have finally killed the mold when you don't smell it any more.

And yes, the spores will spread to the other tack and material stuff near the infested saddle.

You must isolate and destroy these microscopic offenders!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat