The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best West Coast pony barn to send green pony to?

I have an extremely fancy green pony who is a bit on the hot side, but is absolutely the winner in the hack and over fences and will be competitive in the model. What is a good pony training barn on the West Coast that has a great program and moves ponies pretty quickly? Want to lease him out. Thanks!

I would think you would have a better chance on the East Coast. Green pony classes aren't all that big out here.

There were ten green pony hunters some weeks at Thermal- the division filled every week and was split some weeks- trainers were Liz Reilly (2), Andrea Hill (2), Jill Hamilton, Randy Durand, Erin Duffy, Kelli Bautista, Jenny Karazissis, Kate Considine, and several more- I would start with them.

Also, if I am not mistaken, most barns out here do not just to the ponies, but do both horses and ponies.

I just wanted to put in a nice word for Liz Reilly-

I do not know her personally, but we had a small green pony that was sold to a client of hers. The pony was still very green when it was sold, but after about six months, the pony was winning at the A/AA level. I would say give her a call!

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

I will second Kate Considine. She is tiny and brilliant with ponies and small hunters.