The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sarcoptic mange

A friend's Clyde mare has been fighting mud fever / sarcoptic mange for five long months and have spent thousands on her. She has patches bare of hair all over different parts of her body. They are at their wit's end... so...

These mites burrow into the skin laying eggs. The mange was diagnosed by a vet's scraping and the vet advised two doses of ivermectin every two weeks.
    The situation has not improved. The hair is shaved off her fetlocks and the mare has thick wrinkly skin (like a bulldog!) where the infection lingers in the deep cracks.

Do chickens have any effect?

She is now inside in their barn, on rubber mats, pelletted bedding and out of the thawing snow.

I was thinking of the Thread Neck Woms thread. Any ideas, or help?

Mange mites can be quite persistent little bastards and the skin damage they cause can take a while to clear up.

That doesn't sound like enough Ivermectin to me (I'm reading two doses total, two weeks apart?)

Your problem is re-infection from the environment with as narrow a timeframe of dosing as this.

If the horse were mine, I'd dose for 4 doses, two weeks apart, and I'd contemplate doubling the dose. I'd also aggressively dust down her environment with diatomaceous earth/Sevin dust... (You can get a combo that is used by organic gardeners for pest control, and it won't harm the horse.) Walls, floor, bedding, etc. Bleach brushes, sheets, halters, etc., that come into contact with her at all, every time.

I hope the poor creature can get some relief soon. Your friend must be ready to kill herself...

My friend had a clyde mare with bad bad legs. She had to keep them shaved and super clean and dry. Not sure if she had mites but from what you write it sounds like my friends mare did. Her ankles/legs were large from old sores that were never taken care of by previous owners. The mare would scratch her legs on anything and chew at them nonstop. Her ankles had thick wrinkly skin. I remember her doing ivermectin doses but don't remember exactly what she did. Sorry I can't be any more help but I wish you luck because I know it is a pain. I will ask her what she would scrub her legs with. She use to have her out everyday in the driveway out of the mud and scrubbing her legs with something.

A Google search shows up different manges, one that is typical for draft type horses with long hair on the legs.

I was wondering, too, if the large animal was being dosed with enough. Wonder if Quest would make a difference. I know it is contagious, and feel she should not experiment willy nilly without proper advice. The conventional wisdom appears to be Ivermectin...just don't know enough about it. She could contact the researchers/manufacturers.

The Sevin may be an idea since I have used it on my dogs for fleas. It is recommended and appears safe since it can be used in the vegetable garden.
    Cheap enough.

What about the chickens???? I feel so badly for her and her horse, although
    technically she is more of a friend of a friend.

I have no idea what you are asking about the chickens.

I think it's the actual Ivermectin itself rather than any old wormer that will kill mange mites.

What a timely thread. My next door neighbors horses are showing signs of sarcoptic mange. They are totally ignorant and are using MTG. I did mention using Ivermectin to them. I've read to use it once a week for 3 weeks. It did not say to double dose it. Is double dosing safe with Ivermectin?

Since my horses have been quite close to theirs I have moved them a bit farther away and laid in a supply of Ivermectin. I will treat mine even without signs to be safe.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

They also have to clean up the environment - don't know how long they can live without a host...and keep her horse isolated.

Are you asking if the chickens prey on the mites or are carriers? I'd be a little worried they might carry them, as they do have mites of their own. I'd dust with the organic compound mentioned, and plenty of it, over the areas of the property the horse spends the most time. Chickens can be treated with ivermectin also IIRC, just have two weeks for it to clear out of the eggs.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

We were wondering if the chickens were spreading the mites? I had a pony once that came from farm with chickens and it had lice - so always wondered if there was something in common. The lice cleared up very quickly with powder.

Yes, chickens could be the culprits keeping the mange or lice going. With something like sarcoptic mange, I would treat every animal on the place and dust their living quarters. The chickens could be dusted with Sevin. They can also be wormed with Ivermectin paste. Just use a toothpick to pick up a dab and put it on the chicken's tongue. I do it in the evening when they're roosting and easy to catch, handle.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

It is possible that she may need Equimax (with 14.03% praziquantel plus the ivermectin) for the triple doses, instead of just ivermectin.

I think in addition to treating with ivermectin (be sure she is using a high enough dose) and continuing with followup treatments that I would be grooming and dusting the horse with flowers of sulfur. The horse's stall or small turnout area can be dusted too.

Flowers of sulphur used to be in every drug store. It is maybe a little harder to find these days, but it is still out there. I carry it in the horse trailer as when we go south to ride the turkey chiggers (also a mite) can really chew us and our horses up. My 1st Morgan would really break out and get terrible infections...nasty stuff.

Lime sulfur dip - http://www.amazon.com/Vet-Solutions-.../dp/B000MCZ7HW

Make it up in a spray bottle (this is a concentrate) and spray on affected areas daily at first, then every other day, every three days, etc. It smells bad and turns the horse yellow (temporarily) - but, it works.

Why not contact an Equine Vet that specializes in dermatology? They might have some good ideas for you.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

No such thing up where they are - but I did think they should contact a research university, or such. A Google search yields some worrisome likely causes.
    COTH is usually such a good source - usually somebody has experience with almost everything. I almost think the vet up there just used the same advice as on the web sites, Ivermectin, but didn't take it any further.

Thanks, everyone.

I second the lime sulphur. My horse had a mystery skin funk and this cleared it up when all else failed. Stinks but worked.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

And I'd be careful about putting anything on sore and inflamed skin that didn't have a definitive diagnosis attached to it.

Feathered breeds do get some really funky stuff on their legs--makes me wonder of they are dealing with something other than/as well as mange--which really isn't common in healthy well kept horses.

I JUST gave my appy a couple of doses of Arnica two days ago for his pastern. White pastern, thick, scabby skin and swollen. The swelling was reduced by 50% the next day and this morning is 90% gone and the scabs are falling off. I'm using Calendula oil on the pink spots where the scabs have fallen off.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

many years ago, our mare started losing hair on her neck and a few other parts on her body... she was blanketed and had a few bare patches under the blanket. One old vet diagnosed mange and recommended vaseline with 10% sulfur applied to the bald spots.
    Well it worked, her hair grew back and the patches disappeared and never came back.
    Old timers' remedy? no scraping were taken, but it worked!