The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default which of these to choose?

i am at a trail barn but we do like to have fun in the arena at times. i want to get something to hold some pvc pipes as small crossrails or small jumps. i was thinking the block system but since i would only get 2, not sure it is worth it. Do any of you have either of these and what do you think of them?

http://www.horse.com/item/horsemans-...et-of-2/EQA01/

http://www.horse.com/item/burlingham-stacker/SLT311067/

Well, it's only MHO, but I think they are way too expensive for what you get. I've been looking at these lately too. PLUS I have issues with horse.com and their painfully slow shipping of larger items. I was thinking just for cavaletti, perhaps cutting evenly spaced holes on orange cones might work. Or making the standard "X" out of wood.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I have an ancient (10yrs+) set of the original Blox and honestly: save your money.
    Unless you fill them with sand (or water as mfr suggests) they tip far too easily.
    And filling them negates the ease of moving them unfilled.

Better to find someone who can work with standard lumber to make you a set of X-bases for cavaletti.
    You can probably find plans online or just cobble together something yourself.

My DH built me 4 standards with removable bases at the same time I ordered the Blox & I get much more use from those.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

The x's we used to have somehow gave us the choice of a lower height and a higher one. I don't remember how that worked.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarmette View Post
    The x's we used to have somehow gave us the choice of a lower height and a higher one. I don't remember how that worked.
    Built offset so not an equal "X", smaller at one end gives you more height, larger = lower.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Here are the plans my husband used for cavaletti - i love mine
    http://www.texashorsemansdirectory.com/thdcav.htm

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I have an ancient (10yrs+) set of the original Blox and honestly: save your money.
    Unless you fill them with sand (or water as mfr suggests) they tip far too easily.
    And filling them negates the ease of moving them unfilled.

Better to find someone who can work with standard lumber to make you a set of X-bases for cavaletti.
    You can probably find plans online or just cobble together something yourself.

My DH built me 4 standards with removable bases at the same time I ordered the Blox & I get much more use from those.
    Thanks that is what i was afraid of. i guess i'll go with the other set.

There is no making of anything right now, my hubby has way too much going on. I don't mind spending the money but i want to make sure what i get won't be a PITA. Sounds like the Blocks, altho cheaper, Would not be what we want.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Here are the plans my husband used for cavaletti - i love mine
    http://www.texashorsemansdirectory.com/thdcav.htm
    We used the same plan. We bought the rounded (flat on 2 sides) landscape ties when they were on sale and built a set of four. They work great.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_e5DEXJvtb9...0/DSCF2281.jpg
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    We used the same plan. We bought the rounded (flat on 2 sides) landscape ties when they were on sale and built a set of four. They work great.

Those are NICE! My husband used the big heavy 4x4's...I wonder if yours are lighter than mine.

They're not light but they're not bad. They've been stored indoors for awhile so they are getting lighter. That treated stuff is HEAVY when it's still fresh. I can carry one easily but they don't roll when hit.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Very nice. They'd make a great gift for a friend of ours with a hunter ASB. And made out of landscape ties they'd be lighter and cheaper than 4x4s.

SmartAlex - is that your mom's barn in the background? Love it!
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    SmartAlex - is that your mom's barn in the background? Love it!
    Yup!
    ~ Dave Barry

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    i am at a trail barn but we do like to have fun in the arena at times. i want to get something to hold some pvc pipes as small crossrails or small jumps.
    You've already gotten some great advice so I won't bother repeating. However I wanted to mention that PVC, unless it's weighted, is NOT a good choice for jump rails. They're too light. When hit, they go FLYING and become dangerous (as the girl who was riding with George Morris several years ago as her horse hit a PVC rail, sent it flying and it IMPALED the horse as he collided with it). That's an extreme example, but they can easily get tangled in legs. I understand the joys of PVC being so light and easy to maintain, but at least cap them and fill with some sand or something to weight them a little.

... end of PSA
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I agree, even as trot poles they get brittle in the weather and can shatter when stepped on. I had that experience myself. Landscaping poles like the ones in the picture above are safer and more durable.

But I'm curious about all of the PVC horse fencing. Is that made of a different material than PVC pipe that is intended for plumbing? Do those fences get brittle?

Awhile back, Robin@DHH posted about some home made wood version her husband makes.
    They were reasonably priced, though shipping might be $$, but there was mention of making DIY plans available for a nominal fee.

They went by the name of "Cavallox", I believe.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    When hit, they go FLYING and become dangerous (as the girl who was riding with George Morris several years ago as her horse hit a PVC rail, sent it flying and it IMPALED the horse as he collided with it).
    Unless there was a second GM-related impaling, the horse in question met his end impaled on a metal pipe that was not broken, just short in length.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    But I'm curious about all of the PVC horse fencing. Is that made of a different material than PVC pipe that is intended for plumbing? Do those fences get brittle?
    I've seen shattered pvc fence. For that and other reasons I wouldn't use it. However, I have PVC pipe covering several t-posts on a stretch of fence that's extremely difficult to set wood posts on. The PVC covers have been on for 8 tears or so with no outward signs of decay. I did use electrical PVC- which has some UV resistance,

Whatever you use, make sure it falls EASILY when hit/tapped. Safety first!!!