The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Help choose my new trailer

Yes! It's time for playing one of coth's favorite games!

Here are the requirements:

Bumper pull. It will be towed by a GMC Yukon xl, 1/2 ton, with the right axle ratios and tow package.

Very high quality and safe. I want to keep it's resale value high. I expect to have this a very long time, and maybe pass it along to my son.

Lots of ventilation for the horses. It gets very hot and humid here. Insulation for noise and reflecting the sun.

Light and bright interior. Lots of space for the horse's heads and a bale or so of hay, shavings, muck equipment

Warmblood sizing. Probably straight load. Probably 2 horses. Removable center bar, adjustable.

Petite lady sized ergonomics for latches and ramps. I've a broken back, so the truck driver sized stuff is not going to work well for me.

All aluminum construction

Some customization possible. Can I get a mounting block? Extra tie loops, water tank holder, swing out saddle racks? Any other ideas?

Dressing room/ tack room with ventilation. Wide door for tack trunk, step or ramp. Maybe a crane?

I expect to use this for eventing, foxhunting and general small driveway visits. I occasionally will go over the big mountains, and I live in the small mountains of the hunt country. We park in steep pastures. I'm not strong enough to do endurance, but I'd like to visit some of those competition trails.

I'm going trailer looking at the shadow next week. What other thoughts do you have?

Have Fun!
    Intermediate Riding Skills

I inquired on here about Shadow trailers once and got some positive responses from Cothers who owned them and then got a couple very negative responses to the effect that they are basically crap. I'm sure you can search the thread. But no one ever elaborated on why, or what was wrong wtih them...which seems odd for such strong opinions.

Please share what you think of their construction after you go see them--I would be interested.

I have been unimpressed with Featherlites, but they are very popular. My friend's doors don't match up to the frame right and they are difficult to latch (no she has not been in an accident or anything).

I can't stand mangers--you didn't say anything about those. Also, if I were buying new I would do rumber flooring...

What about a Merhow?

I walked through a completely customized CM all-alluminum the other day. Very nice. Can't imagine what it cost though (much larger trailer than you are talking about and 8 foot wide).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Default trailer

You might want to look at an EBY. Very high quality aluminum trailer. Not cheap.

http://www.mheby.com/index.php

They do have a 2-horse bumper pull model with a dressing room. This is a wide and very tall trailer with a lot of windows and vents.

I had mine built for me, and while I wanted a very sharp pencil, I should have asked for a couple of things:

Back-up lights since with the short winter nights I found I was often at lessons, etc. later in the evenings and needed to see back there when reversing.

A tack room door that had ventilation plus a mesh mosquito screen. It is big enough for a sleeping roll, but would be too stuffy without windows, or slider in the door.

It came with a kick panel, but I had puckboard put in all round to prevent damage from pawing.

What I do like is the insulated roof which prevents drips. I like the independednt lights along the side for tacking up, lights in the trailer and of course in the tack room. Lots of hooks for bridles, ropes, etc.

You can see my new Shadow 2+1 with living quarters on the other thread I started yesterday. They are well built trailers. I'm somewhat of a trailer geek. I've searched so long for a trailer. I researched all the brands & have a good grasp of them. I love the 4-stars but personally think they are overpriced. My favorite is the Eby. Also the Elite, the old C&Cs are good. I do not care for the Exiss or Sundowners or Kiefers.
    I've watched my friends pull their Shadow 2+1 all over the east enough miles in the past 3 years to be USDF & USEF Nation Champs & that's a lot of hauling. Their trailer has not really shown any signs of wear. It still looks new. Also when they had a window break we just drove it to the dealership in Ocala while we were down there & they fixed it asap.
    I find that they have one of the strongest floors around & I like the standard full insulation of walls & ceilings. I've never had my horses as cool as I've found them to be in the Shadow. Even with no head windows the horses are sweat free & arrive comfortable. So far I find them a great trailer at a really great price.
    You can also order your trailer with the extra large drop windows for even more air flow.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

BRENDERUP!!!!!!!

Get the one with the tack room (Baron SL).

You can get a folding step ladder for a light-weight mounting block.

Whitfield,
    Did you use to be in Aldie, Va.? If so, I've met you a few times. Lovely horses! It is because of your thread that I'm looking at the Shadow. Please keep chiming in, since you have done so much research and you live in a similar climate.

Why did you get the Shadow if you like the Eby better? What are the things that made it better?

What is a C&C?

What is a C&M?

Someone at a hunt breakfast mentioned a trailer that was well made in Fla. I think the manufacturer is out of business, though. That's another wrinkle in buying now. A number of trailer builders went out of business during this recession.

I appreciate all the thoughts. Please keep the ideas coming!

I dislike mangers. I want to be able to get to the horses heads and in the trailer quickly. I also want escape doors or equivalent that a big horse can get through in an emergency. Those are handy for putting the bale of hay etc into the space ahead of the horses heads.

My current trailer is a '88 kingston that has been cared for over it's entire life. It's been a very trust worthy one, with lots of ventilation. It has no problems passing inspection. Over the years, I have added back-up lights, more internal lights, extra tie loops, changed the center divider to a half divider. This past Fall, I added a mechanical wench for raising the tailgate. It still has more years of roadworthy-ness in it.

Someone on here said that SHADOW trailers are well built? LMFAO

I believe the EquiBreeze is right up your alley... lighter than a fully enclosed trailer, open, airy, straight load, UBER easy ramp (seriously 2 fingers to lower and 2 fingers to raise), all the safety features of the EquiSpirit at half the price. Easily customizable for your specific wants/needs. I have an E'Breeze Gooseneck and adore it.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Default Trailers USA

I just bought a trailers usa Inc. 2 horse bumper pull. Very impressed with the construction and finishing. Lightweight (2300lb) all aluminum, v-nose with saddle rack. love it.

I love love love my Trail-et which are no longer made. However the Hawks and EquiSpirit are really similar and really nice too.

My ramp is really light. It has a fairly low floor compared to my old trainer's Bison, that makes the ramp fairly level. Horses load well in it in part because of the ramp and in part it is bright and airy inside.
    It has two roof vents, the bulk head has a big window with windows in the dressing room. The sides have large bus windows, the back doors have windows too. I will also trailer with the back doors open if it is really hot.

I had in issue loading a pony and it took about 3 minutes to pull the chest bars, butt bars, stud divider, center section and front support pole out and into the pick-up truck bed. Now I had a box stall.
    Finnegan had a brain fart in February, reared up and over the chest bar. Even with his weight on it I could pull the pin and drop the chest bar.
    It is well designed and has held its value. It is 11 years old and I probably could get close to what I paid for it 10 years ago.

The Hawks are really popular around here and hold their value. They seem to have many of the same design features that the Trail-ET had.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Hoofa, Did you have a problem with a shadow? If so, what? how was the repair/dealer experience?

Please keep the ideas coming. I'm researching each one you suggest.

First hand knowledge on HOW their built.....Every short cut in the book is taken and than some. How do I know, you ask? I WORKED at their FL facility for 4 months.....I had seen enough and moved on.

I love my '01 Bison AlumaSport 2h BP ramp w/dressing room. That's the only trailer experience I have though

I didn't read all the posts - but since you are in VA - you should really look into the Adam trailers. I have had 4 brand new ones in 12 years (I keep upsizing!). They are made in VA. There is a dealer local to you - but I buy mine from Ronnie Lloyd at Delwood Trailers in Delaware - WELL worth the drive!

4 Star trailers! I am anxiously awaiting my new one to arrive.

hoofa,
    Have you worked on other trailers that you could suggest as being better?

I'm familiar with some of the 4 stars. The ones that I've seen/helped get horses on, were too heavily built, scaled to a much bigger, stronger person than me. They were also quite noisy. Clanking hurt my ears, and the trailer wasn't even moving. One friend adores hers, but is battling a perpetual rain leak into her tack room. The doors don't fit as well as they need to, and it has been back to the dealers a number of times.

A friend has an Adams, so I'll check those out online.

So what is very well made with the virtues I want?

When Mr. C'Mare and I were trailer searching (over two years), we crawled through many many trailers, checking welds, etc. It was not until we crawled through an EquiSpirit that we found all the features we wanted AND the high-quality construction & safety features we demanded. Believe me, we saw some doozies! (BTW: run away from Lakota... oy vey ). We also attended a trailering safety lecture by Neva Scheve, author of the "trailer Bible" - The Complete Guide to Buying, Maintaining, and Servicing a Horse Trailer

Owners/Designers, Tom & Neva Scheve, started with Trail-Et and then moved to Hawk. Hence why Trail-Et, Hawk & EquiSpirit have similiar "looks" to them. With their own company, EquiSpirit, you get all their years of experience, their demand for high-quality & excellence in safety design. No trailer leaves the manufacturer without Tom personally inspecting it.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

A Hawk trailer give you what you are looking for. I pull my WB sized 2 horse bumper-pull with a GMC Yukon XL with no problem.

I especially love the fiberglass roof for keeping the interior cool in the summer. I have sat in the trailer with my horse on many occasions to get out of the heat.

Bright, airy, many options available. I have never had an issue with this trailer and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Happy shopping!
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

C'mare,

Thank you for the extra info on equispirit. I came close to buying a hawk a couple of years ago. I had gone to the dealer's lot to see the dreamhorse, think that it was going to fit. Turned out that I couldn't handle the ramp lifting and the latches were too high for me. Now the dreamhorse co is out of business.

I want to see the EquiSpirit and call the Sheves. I hope that they are still in business.

Eby is in Blue Ball, Pa. Their site didn't give enough info. but I'm researching them, too. I suspect that Bartville tack makers are sort of near them. At least, I hope so!

Please keep your thinking caps on! I really appreciate your help!