The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Albion Style Saddle?

Does anyone have an Albion Style saddle? What are the features? How does it compare to other models in fit for horse and rider? Am looking at a used one with an 18" seat and M tree, but there is no return so I need to be sure it will work. Thanks!

I love mine, but they were made/adjusted to fit me and my horses.
    They usually, but not always, fit the other horses I ride.

I don't think you can be sure unless you try it. It is very personal to horse and rider.

Meup, Is the tree for a flat or curvy back? What is the twist like? Does the tree run wide or narrow? The one I'm looking at is a medium, but it looks really wide to me. Is there room for a long thigh? The block doesn't look as large as some. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halfling View Post
    Meup, Is the tree for a flat or curvy back? What is the twist like? Does the tree run wide or narrow? The one I'm looking at is a medium, but it looks really wide to me. Is there room for a long thigh? The block doesn't look as large as some. Thanks
    My horses have flat backs, so my saddles were ordered with that in mind.
    I have a long thigh and the saddles are fine for me, but again, they were made for me.
    I am not sure how the tree runs compared to other brands' Mediums or Wides. My horses are normal sized (16.1, TB/Oldenburg, not drafts or 18h WBs) and go in a MW.

I bought my dressage one used, it is an Ultima and the block is quite large. There are others that don't have blocks.

These are customized saddles that are only sold through fitting reps. There are so many options. It is impossible to tell you more about your saddle by telling you about mine, since yours could have been made for an entirely different customer originally.

Albion Styles are common enough that you should not be forced into buying one without a trial. Several of the used saddles websites often cited here have them right now. Some of the newer Albion saddles are quite similar.

The twist is medium to medium wide. I am short and a little heavy and the flaps were OK for me, maybe a tiny bit long. I think they measure about 16 1/2 inches.

Mine (a 17.5 MW) was exactly what I needed when I bought it; it fit my horse (a round but not wide Morgan, with good withers) and was comfortable for me; at the time I was rehabbing from a bad riding accident that could make riding excruciating in the wrong saddle. Over time I noticed that it put me in a bad chair seat so I started looking for something different.

It is a very comfortable and well-made saddle, in any case.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine