The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2005
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    6,185

    Default

    Thanks!



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct. 28, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,096

    Default

    They look a little like our modern saddlebreds to me, and have decorated brow bands, pancake saddles and some double bridles. And very much sitting back in the saddle, like jockeys in the 1800s.



  3. #23
    5 is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    3,383

    Default

    Looks like it is available to watch now all 36 minutes of it.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2012
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Wow! That clip was so cool! Thanks for posting it!



  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Looks like it is available to watch now all 36 minutes of it.
    I hadn't intended on replying until the DVD was ready as well, but yes, it's been available for download for a few weeks now: http://www.harpodeon.com/product/Black_Beauty/34469

    It's a well-made, enjoyable film, but don't go in expecting that it will follow the novel all that closely. It includes a handful of characters from the book, as well as the hunting accident, the stable fire, the bearing rein segment, and the cab horse segment. The rest is an original story about a rogue who tries to frame a young woman's brother for a robbery he himself committed in an effort to blackmail her into marrying him. It sounds contrived when reduced to a sentence, but it makes more sense on screen.



  6. #26
    5 is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    3,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpodeon View Post
    I hadn't intended on replying until the DVD was ready as well, but yes, it's been available for download for a few weeks now: http://www.harpodeon.com/product/Black_Beauty/34469

    It's a well-made, enjoyable film, but don't go in expecting that it will follow the novel all that closely. It includes a handful of characters from the book, as well as the hunting accident, the stable fire, the bearing rein segment, and the cab horse segment. The rest is an original story about a rogue who tries to frame a young woman's brother for a robbery he himself committed in an effort to blackmail her into marrying him. It sounds contrived when reduced to a sentence, but it makes more sense on screen.
    I am having a hard time downloading the latest adobe flash players (It downloads then tells me I do not have suffecient privaledges to run) . Should I wait for the DVD?
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6



  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    I am having a hard time downloading the latest adobe flash players (It downloads then tells me I do not have suffecient privaledges to run) . Should I wait for the DVD?
    If you're using Windows 7 or Vista, installing new programs (in this case, Adobe Flash) will bring up a user account control message box saying something along the lines of "this action requires administrator access". Click "OK" or "Continue" to grant it permission to install.

    Flash is only needed for watching the video online, though. If you're downloading it, you only need to be able to play H.264 format video and AAC format audio in an MP4 wrapper. There is no standard for downloadable media, but that's about as close to a standard as you can get. Still, you may need to install the necessary codecs before you can play it, or you could use something like VideoLAN's VLC player, which decodes and plays videos without requiring any codecs packs.

    Or, like you said, you could wait for the DVD.



  8. #28

    Default

    Just to let you know, the DVD that Black Beauty (1921) is on is out now. It can be bought directly from the Harpodeon website (direct link) or from Amazon (direct link). It's only just been posted to Amazon, so it will probably take another two weeks to actually start appearing in the search. It might be sooner, but that's how long Amazon usually takes to update.
    Last edited by Harpodeon; Dec. 18, 2012 at 09:36 AM.



  9. #29
    5 is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    3,383

    Default

    Bit of a problem.

    Signed on and tried to use paypal and got this message...

    PayPal's payment gateway server did not respond when we attempted to contact it. Please try again later.

    Is the problem on my side or yours?
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6



  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Bit of a problem.

    Signed on and tried to use paypal and got this message...

    PayPal's payment gateway server did not respond when we attempted to contact it. Please try again later.

    Is the problem on my side or yours?
    On either ours or PayPal's, or likely a little of both. Definitely not yours, though.

    The PayPal endpoint that the checkout interacts with (https://api.paypal.com/ or https://api-3t.paypal.com/, it will try both of them if one fails) didn't respond within a reasonable time limit when the checkout tried to get a token and transaction ID from it. Without those, the checkout can't proceed. There are a number of reasons why it can fail, but excess network traffic slowing things down too much is a common one. Waiting a little while and trying again almost always fixes the issue.



  11. #31

    Default

    One last update: the disc is available on Amazon now if anyone was waiting for that. I've edited the link into my previous post, but here it is again.



Similar Threads

  1. Area II Silent Auction
    By canterlope in forum Eventing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep. 23, 2012, 04:33 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Dec. 15, 2010, 12:43 AM
  3. Need help with fun silent auction idea
    By Personal Champ in forum Off Course
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct. 19, 2010, 12:49 PM
  4. Black Beauty 1994
    By dizzywriter in forum Off Course
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Mar. 7, 2010, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •