The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So You Think - the next Phar Lap??

Well figured i would do a blurb about the horse some people are calling the next Phar Lap.

So You Think (High Chaparral (IRE) - Triassic (NZ) (Tights (USA))

http://horseform.racingandsports.com...167A93D55E8D22

He's only raced 11 times - won 8 ( worth $4.5 mill Aus) and trained by the amazing Bart Cummings.

His next start is the awesome Melbourne Cup ( tuesday!!) ! Should be interesting to see if anyone can knock this horse off!

On the breeding side, it sounds like the High Chaparral offspring are really starting to kick some butt. Also nice to see since we have a couple of his foals! So should be good for us as well.

P.

Yep, he deserves his own thread.
    As I posted in another thread, here is his race record since the end of August

28-Aug-10 Cau 7f Memsie Stakes G2 - 1st
    18-Sep-10 Cau 9f Underwood Stakes G1 - 1st
    09-Oct-10 Cau 10f Yalumba Stakes G1 - 1st
    23-Oct-10 Moo 10f Cox Plate G1 - 1st
    30-Oct-10 Fle 12f MacKinnon Stakes G1 - 1st

Next up
    02-Nov-10 Fle 16f Melbourne Cup G1

And he's a stunning looker to boot.

He also just won the Longines MacKinnon Stakes (2000m) today. Bart has always said that a horse to win the Melbourne Cup needs to have 10km of racing under his feet and So you think was slightly short of this so he should be good for that now! lol

Missed your other thread! Will have to go looking for it!

P.

I saw the MacKinnon Stakes last night. Awesome! Already have the DVR set for the Melbourne Cup. With so much talk about stamina and soundness lately (well, I guess not just lately), it will be phenomenal if he pulls this feat off.

I hope they don't retire him soon.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

That is one tough horse. Looks like he's starting and winning graded races every three weeks. You won't find US racers who can do that.

Northern Dancer on the rest of the world's mare base doesn't seem to have the same effect on soundness and stamina that he does with US mares. John Sparkman has a link on his blog page to his 1995 articles on North American TB soundness. They make for a very interesting read.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

the worlds best kept secret, & we like it that way

well, if the yanks kill him too, then, ya can start mentioning Phar Lap in the same breath.

(joke!!!)

But, OT. WTF has Bart had done to his face?! he don't look like the wrinkly weird fella that i used to know and luv, anymore... having said that, what a way for the master to finish a most remarkable life - and what a horse to finish it with!!!

We should all be so fortunate that our life's-books had chapters like Barts does. The man is simply elegant in all he does.

Am looking forward to tommorows Cup - and I haven't been that interested in The Cup for years - Go SYT!!!

A reminder... the race that stops a nation is tonight (tomorrow, Tues, in Australia).... 3pm Local time, that's 4am GMT, 12am EST, 11pm Central, 9pm Pacific.
    Will be amazing if So You Think pulls it off... three G1 races in 10 days.

An article in the NYT about the durability of Aussie horses...

Most remarkable of all is the fact that So You Think won the mile and a quarter Cox Plate on Oct. 23, wheeled back and captured the mile and a quarter Mackinnon Stakes on Saturday, and will contest the Melbourne Cup on only two days’ rest. That’s two Kentucky Derbys, followed by a marathon, in 10 days.

the worlds best kept secret, & we like it that way

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    A reminder... the race that stops a nation is tonight (tomorrow, Tues, in Australia).... 3pm Local time, that's 4am GMT, 12am EST, 11pm Central, 9pm Pacific.
    Will be amazing if So You Think pulls it off... three G1 races in 10 days.

An article in the NYT about the durability of Aussie horses...

and ALL of ours have to do it drug free... jus saying that maybe that helps to keep the "undesirables" from the metropolitan tracks ?

Hey, Polydor! whatcha reckon? Bart 1st and 2nd with Zipping third for a 'fairytale' hundred and fiftieth Cup finish?

TVG will air the Melbourne Cup live tonight with Cup coverage from 9pm to 1am EST

PP for the Melbourne Cup (Race 7 on the card)

Could "So You Think" be sold? The rumour mill suggests its in the works

Video replay: So You Think - MacKinnon Stakes

Yup i'm liking So You Think . Zipping getting up there would be great along with Shocking. I know Kavanaugh was really happy with his 6th place in the MacKinnon on saturday. The farm spells most of his horses so he's the farm fave and back to back cups.

Woot only half days work as well!

P.

Sentimentally it would be exciting if SYT won. Great for Bart.

I can never successfully predict the Cup. So when I say I like Zipping as another sentimental favourite, it's probably the kiss of death. But what a great old horse! And he is in super form.

How did he do in the Melbourne Cup?? Could not stay awake to see it on TVG.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

He ran a decent third.

Video replay: 2010 Melbourne Cup G1 ~ $5.9M USD distance of 3200m ~2 miles

He comes on in the stretch and hits the lead. Someone else just had more fresh legs to kick on.

Bart Cummings is somewhat blaming the jockey for going to early. I think Americain just had more experience running that distance and maybe fresher has well. He looked like he could go run it again when he walked into the winners circle!

He did try to take a chunk out of the old gelding (Banjo) that the track interviewer was riding right at the finish line. But didn't succeed.

P.

Default Glimmerglass

Why was the video removed??????
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    Wow $60M? I was reading yesterday that a deal had been proposed over the last few days in the $25M range. If anyone is getting aanything north of $50M in 2010 I say take it and run.

As for the video taken down I suspect that the original broadcast network put in a claim and the user took it down.

Youtube has multiple users offering up a replay of the race: the replay (in HQ) sourced from 'NetWork 7' Australia is still working fine this morning

Ah, but the big news isn't so much that Coolmore bought him for stud, but that they are planning on racing him next year. They are sending him to Ballydoyle where AidN O'Brien will campaign bim next year with the Arc as the end of season goal.
    Now that is truly awesome!

In the past Coolmore have taken big name Aussie horses and ran them in Europe, usually it's only been to get a G1 on European soil on their resume and then retire by end of Jun so they can send them south again to start breeding. Sounds like this guy will get a whole season of racing in next year..... Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Sounds like this guy will get a whole season of racing in next year..... Fingers crossed.
    Won't this be fun?!!!!! I wish we had a "stable watch" site for foreign horses.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?