The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Leather/Nylon or Biothane Stirrup Leathers

I need to replace the leathers on my saddle and am looking for an economical option. I've only ever used higher dollar leather stirrup leathers. Does anyone have any feedback on either Leather/Nylon (leather is nylon lined) or biothane stirrup leathers?

I've seen biothane bridles before and I always felt that if there was enough weight on it the material would stretch pretty easily, but I have nothing to back that up, its just how I felt the material would react. Has anyone ever used them?

Are nylon lined leathers okay? I guess I am hung up on the fact that since they are not leather they would not "break" easily, but I ride with the stirrup bars down and have safety break-a-way stirrups on my saddle, so I don't think this would be an issue?

Any reviews/feedback would be great!
    Thanks!

I'll share my (minimal) experience.

Someone gave me a pair of leather-lined-with-nylon stirrup leathers 6 or 8 years ago. They're still going strong and, if anything, the nylon has helped to keep the holes from stretching.

I bought a pair of synthetic leathers on eBay several years ago. They might have been biothane. They were a fairly thick, matte black leather-like material with a woven, nonstretchy core. Literally within two or three rides, the outer material had cracked clean through at the buckles. Of course, the seller wouldn't give me a refund and I ended up throwing them away.
    ---------------------------

I only buy nylon core stirrups because they don't stretch. Granted I buy them calf lined and half hole so they are usually about $125-$150 a pair depending on the brand. I like Prestige nylon core calf leather half holes.

For leather-leathers, I will never have another pair that isn't nylon-cored. They hold up so much better. I'm don't think they're that "economical" though; they tend to run more than plain leather, I think around $100 for something like the Prestige or Beval ones I've had.

On my synthetic Wintec dressage saddle, I have used their plain nylon leathers, and now have their dressage "webbers." I do not think they wear as nicely as the leather does, but certainly do not feel unsafe. Just perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing as I might like along the edges and holes.

My Thorowgood endurance saddle came with their synthetic stirrup leathers, which have a nylon core and synthetic leather covering. I've ridden hundreds of miles in them, and they are still exactly even in length and look great.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/thorowg...ers/p/X1-0687/

however, I did just learn that they squeak if you ride in them with leather boots or half chaps. Mine are suede so I don't have that problem, but my mom rode in my saddle the other day and they were LOUD
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.