The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's the most popular saddle seen on the hunter circuit?

For everyone who has just returned from Thermal, WEF and Gulfport - which saddle was the most popular in the hunters?

Preferably the saddle that fits the horse correctly.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Why does it matter? If it doesn't fit the horse and rider, it doesn't matter to me how popular it is and I would never buy something like a saddle based on current popularity. A saddle's popularity won't make it fit any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Preferably the saddle that fits the horse correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Why does it matter? If it doesn't fit the horse and rider, it doesn't matter to me how popular it is and I would never buy something like a saddle based on current popularity. A saddle's popularity won't make it fit any better.
    I love you guys

No single brand, no single saddle, fits all horses. Some may fit a wider variety of shapes, but nothing fits all.

The most "popular" saddle, because it's new, or the leather is luscious, or it's expensive, or it's cheap, or whatever, will fit some horses, but buying it because it's popular as the first criteria is going to lead to trouble.

Besides, while you're on course, can you really tell the difference between most of them?

Why not just answer the question? I am curious too, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't make sure my saddle fits my horse and I.

Unless you saw enough saddles close enough to identify them, how would anyone know? And you'd have to look at a lot of them to decide if it was a common brand.

The expensive French ones :P

Beyond that it's impossible to tell and I'm pretty sure no one goes around inspecting other's saddles
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I'd be leary of any saddle creeper LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Koniucha View Post
    Why not just answer the question? I am curious too, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't make sure my saddle fits my horse and I.
    it always surprises me how hard this is for threads sometimes lol.
    personally I'm always looking at people's saddles, not because I'm a creep but just to see what others have.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    The expensive French ones :P

Beyond that it's impossible to tell and I'm pretty sure no one goes around inspecting other's saddles
    I do, because I switched disciplines so I am curious about all the saddles and options. By inspect, I mean that I check out the saddles in the communal tack room, and I ask people what they ride in and why they like that particular brand.

The Voltaire rep used to keep his horses at my barn, so you see a lot of them. It is possible to tell because no one keeps their saddle at the barn. Most kids keep their saddles in the car and cart them in when they ride, and it's easy to tell what brand they are because of the saddle covers.

Where my friend used to ride, CWD was the preferred brand. No sponsorship deals or anything, but it seemed like a domino effect with everyone switching over.

I might add that I don't think anyone buys a spendy saddle like that to fit in, but because the saddles are around for people to try, and they like them. Everyone is looking for anything that will improve their position or riding, so you can't blame them. If you can afford one, go for it.
    Last edited by TheHorseProblem; Apr. 4, 2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: saddle covers, not pads :p
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    By inspect, I mean that I check out the saddles in the communal tack room
    I totally do this too.

Anyway, I don't think the OP meant to ask which saddle she/he should buy based on popularity. I think they just wondered if anyone's noticed a predominance of any one brand at those shows mentioned. I'm also curious.

Quote Originally Posted by lachevaline View Post
    I totally do this too.
    Hey, sister, hands off my saddle! *

*my saddle is so weird and off-brand I am sure no one checks it out.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Was at Ocala this year, so not sure you want to hear from me. (just kidding)

I pay little attention to other people's saddle brands while I'm showing. It's hard to see what kind of saddle someone has unless they're walking around with the cover on it.

But, I can tell you that there were four main saddle vendors at Ocala - Antares, Devoucoux, CWD, and Voltaire. So, my guess is that those are the most popular saddles being purchased at that show.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Don't get me wrong, I have a saddle fetish and I always love to talk about them. The more actively I'm looking for a saddle, the more I ask people about theirs.

But these big shows are BIG, sometimes thousands of horses. In a given location you might see one saddle more than others, more "popular" because a rep is in that area. That doesn't mean it's any better than others, doesn't mean it's as popular as it is for it's quality, or rider fit, or horse fit, etc. It becomes popular because of exposure. As mentioned, there were a lot of Voltaire saddles in one barn because a rep had horses there - makes sense he'd be selling more of them there.

Nope, I will never fear the Saddle Thief! I have an ancient Stubben and an HDR CC, neither of which would be cool enough for HITS.:-)
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

In my barn, most of the people purchasing new saddles are going for a more custom fit for horse and rider like the CWD.

I will ride in my Pessoa GenX until it falls apart because I can not stomach the price tag that comes along with the CWD...

Ha, I have a 15 year old Ian Miller Collegiate, so beat that!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    I might add that I don't think anyone buys a spendy saddle like that to fit in.
    Actually, I think people do exactly this and don't understand/realize/care that the "in" piece of leather doesn't actually fit their horse.

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhorse2000 View Post
    Actually, I think people do exactly this and don't understand/realize/care that the "in" piece of leather doesn't actually fit their horse.
    DingDingDing!

My saddle fitter drives to me and provides a custom, made to measure saddle in any of a variety of brands for anywhere between $900 - $3,500, which she personally delivers and flocks to suit the horse upon delivery.

Not really seeing the need to pay more for less, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    DingDingDing!

My saddle fitter drives to me and provides a custom, made to measure saddle in any of a variety of brands for anywhere between $900 - $3,500, which she personally delivers and flocks to suit the horse upon delivery.

Not really seeing the need to pay more for less, personally.
    But can she make you POPULAR?

I don't think so!