The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts? Opinions? Enabling?

I have a JRT and a Daschund that live in my house. The Daschund does not really fit into the household well because he sleeps 23 hours out of the day and we like to go out and do stuff on the farm. He doesn't bother anything, I just feel bad because he gets left home alone a lot. He is upset that he doesn't get to go, but after about 2 minutes outside, he cries to go back in, so he would be unhappy if we made him hike for 30-45 minutes as well. I kind of feel like it's a no-win situation for him. Ideally, he would be perfect for an elderly couple that wanted a little dog to sleep in their lap all of the time as that is what he wants to do. Anyway, since I'm considering finding the Daschund a new home, I have been looking for something a bit more compatible with mine and my JRTs lifestyle to be his companion.

I had been thinking about getting another JRT when I stumbled across this girl for free today and thought about calling to see if she's been spayed and find out a bit more info on her. The ad says she's 2-3 months and a JRT. I don't really think she's JRT though because she seems tall for 2-3 months, but idk, maybe a mix. What says COTH???

http://www.southeasttexas.com/assets...FE663BEC12.jpg

http://www.southeasttexas.com/assets...443708106D.jpg
    Last edited by RacetrackReject; Apr. 4, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

If the ears stand up, she may be rat terrier, or a mixture of both JRT and RT.

Either way, what does it matter?
    A companion dog doesn't need to be any specific breed or mix, just a dog that appeals to you and fits in your family.

That one looks like a lovely lady, why not go see if her personality is also lovely?

I'm dithering on getting another dog because then I will have 3 dogs in the house until I find a good home for the Daschund and I wouldn't want a dog much larger than my current JRT who, while not a shorty, would appear to be about this dog's size now and she's said to be 2-3 months. If she's going to get too much larger, I would pass on her.

Something about her looks Schnauzer-ish (making up my own words!)..lol. Not her broken coat, but the shape of her head?
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

She looks like a Jack to me. Some have long legs, some are more cobby.

Is your other Jack a male or a female? If you already have a female I would NOT bring another female into the house under ANY circumstances.

If the pup you posted photos of is only 2-3 months old she is really too young to be spayed so I wouldn't even worry about that. I would be more concerned that she has had age appropriate vaccinations and been dewormed several times.

Why is she free? Where did they get her? She looks like a nice little dog.

I do not see any reason to not re-home the Dachshund if he does not fit into your lifestyle. Just make sure you vet the new home and it is a good one.
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Oh gees, I can't believe I typed spade instead of spayed, bloody hell I have lost my mind.

I was thinking they could spay at 6 weeks or was that 6 months? I've only ever owned 1 female dog and she was spayed around 8 years ago, so I forget how old. Did I mention I've lost my mind?

The ad also had another dog, a husky, saying that it was dumped. When they spoke of the JRT, they said she was sweet several times and high energy, so I'm thinking she's a JRT and maybe doesn't fit into their lifestyle due to the energy, but that is something I would ask about.

I will definitely vet any new home for the Daschund (Hunter). He was found wandering an industrial park by some friends years ago. When they couldn't locate his owner, my mom took him, and then he came to live with me, so making sure he doesn't slip through the cracks again is important to me.

Hunter
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...57183612_n.jpg
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

def. JRT. Good Luck! One JRt can be fun, Two can be a handful!

That Daschund is so unique looking! I love it!! Would love to be able to give him a nice home, but I can barely handle my little pooch :-)

Oh my gosh! Except for the ears (Dale's stand straight up), she looks just like my ACD/JRT mix...I'm going to try to go find a picture of Dale and figure out how to post it here . Same, exact coloring, complete with the single, spotted ear. How big is this dog at 2-3 months? Dale is 14 years old and 42 lbs. She is the best and worst dog I've ever had, I love her soooo much. Best work ethic ever and super smart...downside is the same, needs to work and super smart .

I think you should go get that dog .