The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Failure Club" - Injured Woman Returns to Riding

"Failure Club" is an online video series about people attempting to overcome difficulties in their lives. This one is about a woman rider coming back from an injury. I think the CotH readers can relate to her story.

http://screen.yahoo.com/episode-32-gina-28775944.html
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I can relate, but I was surprised how little she knew! That's a nice goal, winning a blue in the hunters, but a little unrealistic at the moment (I like more attainable goals that aren't years away). Too many parameters to make it a reality, considering she really had no idea what a horse show WAS. I would set my goal a little lower considering how green she was. How about a goal of learning to jump?

Sad to just be learning to ride and injure your back so badly. It must have been a bad fall.

Also, she seemed to have less fear issues than I would have expected -- it was all I could do just to walk around a couple of times the first time I got on after my accident. She was trotting and cantering.

What a sweet old schoolmaster.

And I was drooling over a couple of those hunters at the show, there was a gorgeous grey in there.

Yeah.... this whole thing was kind of off-putting to me. Main motivation for learning to ride is a blue ribbon? Yuck. The ribbon was all she talked about - nothing about the horse(s). Just ... yuck.

Also felt quite bad for the horse when she was cantering. Old schoolmasters do not deserve to get slammed in the back.

My instructor growing up was fierce and a stickler for details. You did not move on to something before you had mastered the previous skills.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

"returns to riding?"... ummmm

sigh.... one can only hope that, in her quest for her "blue ribbon" she learns to appreciate the "horse" more and the "ribbon" less

ride-on girly!

Most people who want to win a blue ribbon in the hunter classes at least know what the sport is -- and don't get all freaked out because they have to buy a coat. Guess she will have to learn about the coat, the boots, the breeches, gloves, shirt, saddle that fits, the thousands of dollars in lessons and show fees.

And possibly, the doctors bills getting her severely injured back to the point where she is competitive over fences. She had three ruptured disks and extensive arthritis!

And instructor lady, please get your horse some injections or glucosamine supplements or something, if he is too stiff to trot during a lesson.

Dream on.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Dream on.
    I've been following the series, since its interesting and the videos aren't very long. She has made alot of improvement, but all she talks about is winning. Which isn't everything in riding.
    In today's web video she won a blue ribbon in Long Stirrup Equitation division. It was four classes each on walk, trot, and canter. But she didn't pin in the others.

And it seemed like a really small show. Only three riders I believe in her class, and I don't think they awarded the other ribbons, just first place. Which is odd because even with four riders everyone should get a ribbon.

http://screen.yahoo.com/episode-51-gina-29668153.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
    In today's web video she won a blue ribbon in Long Stirrup Equitation division. It was four classes each on walk, trot, and canter. But she didn't pin in the others.

And it seemed like a really small show. Only three riders I believe in her class, and I don't think they awarded the other ribbons, just first place. Which is odd because even with four riders everyone should get a ribbon.

http://screen.yahoo.com/episode-51-gina-29668153.html
    It was definitely a tiny show. I'm almost thinking schooling show (she was wearing a t-shirt and half chaps). I think it's great that she's trying to overcome her fear, but her fear didn't seem to be as severe as I was expecting. Maybe they just didn't show that part, who knows.

I'll never quite understand how people just want the ribbons to the exclusion of everything else horse-related. That will never be me. However, if it's what makes her happy, she should go for it. It does worry me a bit that she's setting herself up for failure. Going from complete beginner to winning 1st place in decent sized horse show is going to take a lot of time, work, and money. Seeing how she gets so frustrated when things don't go perfectly makes me wonder how the rest of her journey is going to be. I wish she focused more on the experience as a goal, or set a more reasonable goal. "I want to learn how to jump" would be much easier. And all her focus on "the blue ribbon" plain annoys me. Honestly, she sounds like a 7 year old girl trapped in a 55 year old woman's body. But if it makes her happy, good for her.