The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bridles similar to Antares?

Hi everyone,

I decided that I am going to sell my current (nearly new!) bridle since it just doesn't fit - I bought it too big. What other brands are comparable to Antares, and in the same price range? $510 including reins. I am looking for a figure 8. I am keeping the option of the same bridle open but I was wondering what else others would suggest!

Thanks in advance!

Default CWD

I think the CWD is very much like the Antares, only CWD offers more options. Price is a bit higher I think, about $400 just for the headstall IIRC.

You might want to look into Herve Goudignon (sp?), they used to have a gorgeous figure 8 that was practically a twin of the Antares. At one time Dover had it in their catalog but no more. Again though, I think it was more in the price range of $600 or better including reins.

I would stay away from Vespucci, I know someone is going to mention them but I think they are crap for the money.

You might also check out Five Star Tack, Smartpak's line of bridles and ADT's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I think the CWD is very much like the Antares, only CWD offers more options. Price is a bit higher I think, about $400 just for the headstall IIRC.

You might want to look into Herve Goudignon (sp?), they used to have a gorgeous figure 8 that was practically a twin of the Antares. At one time Dover had it in their catalog but no more. Again though, I think it was more in the price range of $600 or better including reins.

I would stay away from Vespucci, I know someone is going to mention them but I think they are crap for the money.

You might also check out Five Star Tack, Smartpak's line of bridles and ADT's as well.
    Thanks BAC! I just looked on CWD's site and it is $500 just for the headstall now, I am very disappointed since I was hoping to maybe get one! I will look into the other brands you suggested as well, thanks!

I bought my CWD bridle discounted at premiertackoutlet.com, try there. Even if they don't have one you can email Rebecca and she will let you know if she comes across one. Her website is a good source for bridles. CWD strapgoods are lovely but they are pricey.

And if you decide on an ADT, Rebecca can order you any of their bridles, at a discount.

premier tack outlet has a beval figure 8 right now. I would check out their stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ktm2007 View Post
    premier tack outlet has a beval figure 8 right now. I would check out their stuff
    It looks really nice but sadly I need a cob size, not full

ooh, That premier tack outlet store is very tempting!!

http://www.jumpinconnection.com/Bridles.jsp for Herve Godignon. Super-nice stuff. Really wish it would fit my horses. The Paris bridle is what Dover used to carry; the figure eight appears to be sold separately.

Quote Originally Posted by ktm2007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KateD View Post
    It looks really nice but sadly I need a cob size, not full
    Beval full size fits like most other brands' cob size. Beval's sizing is basically what was "standard" in the '90's or so, but is now considered to "run small." Beval has a pretty comprehensive chart on their website with all their bridle measurements - check that out before you pass.

ETA - All that said, those are some pretty wide cheek pieces on that Beval. It might actually be an oversize.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Slightly off-topic: BAC, have you noticed there are some strong similarities between AdT and Herve Godignon bridlework? Are they made by the same maker, do you know?
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks pattnic! I will take a look and compare to the bridle I have now that isn't fitting.