The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Using slow feeders in trailer mangers??

I did a quick search though old treads but didn't find anything that addressed my question.

I have a 2 horse straight load, walk-thru horse trailer, with feed mangers above where saddles and tack are stored. It's a full walk through so there is a door to walk though into the tackroom when loading and another one to walk out the front, which leaves a space between the two mangers. Trailer is great for what it is BUT my walk-thru "tack room" is always getting showered with hay as the horses push it about in the mangers and though the bars that keep their heads in the mangers.

So, I had the idea of putting a slow feeder net (one with smaller sized holes and not just a hay net) in the manger to 1) control the mess that is made and 2) to possibly reduce the chances of a horse choking (which I worry about constantly with mangers, though it's not happened to me yet *knocking on anything I can find*)

Just wondering what other people think of this idea? Maybe someone else has tried it? Maybe someone thinks I'm a complete idiot for even thinking of trying this? Let me know what ya got!

Thank you in advance!

All I use are slow feeders, so when we trailer we throw a net full of hay in and off we go! I'm not sure why you think it's a crazy idea. I never have thought twice about it. Am I missing something?

My trailer ties in the manger in front of the horse, so I just tie the net to that.

I do the same. I just tie it up around nose level. It keeps the hay off the floor, which keeps them from being tempted to put their heads down (which keeps them from getting their head tangled up with the chest bar).

My trailers don't have mangers, but I hang slow feeder hay bags in them all the time.

Are you worried that the bags will get tossed out of the mangers? Don't you have a hanger that they could be tied to?

After years of so much wasted hay and mad horses (because they threw all their hay on the floor) I only use Nibble Nets in the trailer now.

When we arrive at our destination there is only a tiny bit of hay on the ground and most of it has been eaten out of the bag.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Thanks for all the replys!

I guess my main concerns were that, like Ksojerio mentioned, the bags might somehow get tossed out of the feeders, but I could easily tie the feeder to the bars that form the manger and I think I should be golden.

Thank again all!