Default Tent Camping for Rolex!!

I am so excited to be going to Rolex again this year! I went back in 2008 and have been wanting to go again ever since! Me and a friend are tent camping at Whispering Hills RV Park in Georgetown, which is about 10 miles from the Horse Park.

This is my first time camping for Rolex. Last time we chose the hotel route but decided to camp this year to save a little money.

I'm wondering if any of you who have camped for Rolex have any tips? Is there anything (besides regular camping gear) that I should make sure to bring with?

Thanks!

My suggestion would be to camp @ the KHP in that campground. More fun and you can walk in!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

That would have been my preference but they book up about a year in advance.

I am going to try to reserve a spot there for next year though!

The spots for RVs book up (and I have still shown up with a coach on Tuesday and parked and plugged in without reserving a space...on the grass...no pad).

To pitch a tent there is ample room (primitive spots).
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Can u use a self-contained camper in Primative? Daughter going up with farrier as part of his crew. Thinking would go up and stay in the living quarters of our new trailer, but i know there are no spots available, otherthen primative?

I have seen campers parked out in the primitive field I think.
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO - you're on course!

Yes, you can put a Class A out in the primitive field if you want. I've seen all of those parked out there as well as hundreds of tents. The rate is cheaper too, of course. It used to be $13 a night for primitive camping, but I'm sure it's more now.

Well, I live about 8 or so miles from Whispering Hills, further north, and every once in a while I take that way to get home - but there's a double level grade crossing about two miles past the RV park that has often got trains backing up and sitting so I don't do it too often.
    Um, Scott County is dry/moist so if you enjoy an adult beverage you have to cross the fwy at exit 120 and hit the Donerail travel plaza for beer, or go to Lexington to a liquor store for wine or spirits, or eat at a restaurant that serves. Apart from that WH is really new and looks nice but you don't have the convenience of being on motel row in G'town - in that way it's not too different from camping at the KHP. If you are tent camping and there are tent spots at the KHP though . . .
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Default KHP

Ok so am I understanding this correctly? I can go into the park and park my fully self contained truck camper in the "primitive" area and stay for a fee?? Do you need to reserve a spot like that ahead of time. Iam not familar with the KHP so I thought once the hookups were full that was that?

Quillcote Farm. The answer is yes, but that is also the area where the general admission parking is on grass. Call the camp store to get the scoop.
    http://kyhorsepark.com/index.php?opt...571&Itemid=264

Hmmmmm..... well this puts a new spin on things then! Thanks I will call!!

I get sites now, but I used to park over in primitive--just be sure you have enough water, etc & be aware your tent camping neighbors will not like you if you run a generator all the time. You have access to the showers, bathrooms & the camp store.

It's so nice to be "home" at the end of the day, we have a great time camping. It is also really nice to have easy access to your car, etc to drop off any shopping or for gear changes.

as one of those in primitive tent camping I would NOT advise you to EVER run any generators, equipment in the primitive. It can get you kicked out (yes, I'll be the one complaining at the store.)

The campground is not just the rolex. They do have non-rolex campers and they do follow the State of Kentucky park rules.

I would suggest a QUIET battery powered fan is helpful in the primitive. Plan on a long walk to the showers and bathroom. Also, a matter of camp etiquette: always walk around a campsite, not cut through it.

You cant hear our generator, its uilt in, and even IN the LQ you dont hear it! Love that. But some do get very upset about generators.

while we're on this topic ...
    I've only been to KHP a few times as a tourist, never been to Rolex.
    I'm planning to arrive Wednesday night to tent camp for the duration of Rolex.
    Where? How?
    Do you have to check in somewhere? [and will I be able to at 8-9pm?] Where on earth is the tent camping and how do I get there? I suppose I should give the horse park a ring before I leave. Any tips though?

Quote Originally Posted by gold2012 View Post
    You cant hear our generator, its uilt in, and even IN the LQ you dont hear it! Love that. But some do get very upset about generators.
    Well then, maybe you can try sleeping through the generator noise in the tent. I can always hear the darn things and it makes me crazy when someone is rude enough to run them during quiet hours. I have the quietest of Honda generators and I would never run it in tent camping. I've been known to go bang on a camper door if someone is running them after quiet hours.

Maybe I can quiet (no pun intended) the generator talk a bit. I NEVER mentioned a generator, we do not travel with one, we are fully self contained, with our own shower, we do have solar which somewhat takes the place of a generator. Most of the time we beach camp, and I am on the same side of the fence with everyone that laothes the generator, so you would not have to worry about us!!

Hmmm... now I'm wondering if I should just primitive tent camp at the KHP since I would be tent camping anyway and it sounds like I could still get a spot?! With this type of camping do they allow you to park your car right there by your tent?

I'm driving down Wednesday but not completely sure what time I will get in because I am driving straight through from MN. I will call the KHP campground and find out their hours...

I'll have to talk to my friend and we can figure out what we want to do. At the other campground we have the ability to plug into electric, have easy access to water and we are right by showers/bathrooms...

Which conveniences are more important?! lol