The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help a dressage rider out!

I've ridden dressage my entire life and only ever competed dressage. A friend of mine offered me the chance to ride her mare at a low key hunter schooling show this weekend.I'm using her tack and just wanted some pointers. I understand I'll be riding in a more forward, lighter seat and that the goal is a long and low frame. Any advice is welcome!

My most important bit of advice is to leave the white full seats at home. And practice two point.

Have you been riding this horse in your friend's tack? I found it strange to ride in a close contact saddle after riding in a dressage saddle for so long, especially one that sucked me into position. Those little brown postage stamp saddles don't do that, although some of the modern saddles have a deeper seat and grippier leather.

If you are riding in an eq on the flat class, which I assume you are, just sit the canter like you usually would.

Please chime in, H/J riders, as I am new to this myself.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.