The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default DK saddlery?

Has anyone ever heard of them adn have any opinions?
    Thanks
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

They are fairly big in the west right now. They hold up well and are very comfortable. Almost all of them have flair planels; some swear by 'em, other hate 'em. They often times are the saddle that works when nothing else does. I rode in one that didnt fit too well and it became a spring board on horse back, lol! The horse still liked it better than any others but there was no way it was going to work for me (and custom ordering wasn't an option for me). I wouldnt hesitate to try another. I noticed last years junior gold medalist at at najyrc was riding in one.

Too my knowledge DK is now no more but Regal saddles is the one that made the DK saddles so you should look into that. DK is a jerk, I talked to him on the phone once thinking about getting a saddle from him. When he talked to me (and to most anyone) it made me feel like he couldn't believe I was wasting his time asking questions and that I was bothering the poo out of him.
    But like I said, I dont believe DK is still in operation (as of early this year I think) but Regal saddles who made all DK's saddles still is operating and working on DK saddles.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    Too my knowledge DK is now no more but Regal saddles is the one that made the DK saddles so you should look into that. DK is a jerk, I talked to him on the phone once thinking about getting a saddle from him. When he talked to me (and to most anyone) it made me feel like he couldn't believe I was wasting his time asking questions and that I was bothering the poo out of him.
    But like I said, I dont believe DK is still in operation (as of early this year I think) but Regal saddles who made all DK's saddles still is operating and working on DK saddles.
    Uh, DK is most definitely still going strong. I have heard tales about the infamous Danny, but not dealt with him myself, so can't address that. I am friends with the area DK rep, so deal with her. I just recently purchased a used DK Malibu for my kissing spines horse and have to say, I love that saddle. Seriously love it, much to my surprise. Horse does well in it too.

The guy making Regal does also make the DK and they are quite similar from what I have seen. I have a wool stuffed Regal Dressage saddle that is quite nice. DK only does the air, which isn't for everyone, nor every horse. I love the position the DK dressage puts me in, but not the bounce , so I went with the wool Regal. The jump saddle, maybe because you don't sit so much, doesn't bother me with the air, and it made that particular horse happy.

I think your experience with the company is influenced greatly by the rep you work with. Same can be said for any of the saddle ompanies, I think. Since I have a good DK rep who lives just a few miles from me, it works for me.

Like previously stated, Kevin from Regal saddlery makes the DK Saddles. Danny Kroetch only fits them. I've met Danny on a personal level and he was quite personable, however I've never done business with him so I can't speak to that.

If you decide on going with a DK or a Regal, I would say go for the Regal. I have a Regal saddle that was custom made for me and I absolutely love it. It's comfortable, and even my h/j friends love my dressage saddle. And Kevin is absolutely fantastic to work with.