The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best trailer flooring

I'm ordering a new trailer. One of the options is to replace the wood floor with either Aluminum or Rumber. What's the best floor? The Rumber is the most expensive. Because I'm ordering it anyway, I figured I'd ask around and see what folks think. Is it worth spending extra money on either aluminum or rumber?

My Hawk has the Rumber. I love it! My mare gets impatient when we are stopped and starts to paw. This floor has held up beautifully.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Aluminum floor with rubber mats on floor and walls.

Rumber!!!! Hands down. Aluminum picks up heat off of hot pavement but the worst is that it pits and corrodes under those trailer mats. A friend bought a used Aluminum trailer in good shape it appeared. She lifted the mats at the back door and thought all looked good. After she had been using it for 6 months she decided to pull the mats and hose the floor down. This is supposed to be done frequently if your horse pees in the trailer. She found numerous holes in the floor where she could look thru to the ground.

My trailer's rumber floor is excellent and NO it is not slippery. Yes, I always use sawdust on trailer floors to prevent slipping. The rumber is very thick, very sturdy, doesn't transmit heat, absorbs shock, etc. Worth the extra $$

chicamuxen

What chicamux said....all the way....wish I had Rumber, just have wood with rubber mats....which has served me well enough for now.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

ditto on rumber, my first 2 trailers had it and I wish my current one did as well. I had one of the trailers for 9 years and had plenty of horses that pawed in it and when I sold it, it was still in great shape. can't go wrong with rumber if you can afford it.

Default trailer floors

If you desire keeping this trailer for a long time do not buy a trailer with an aluminum floor. They are a pain to keep. You must wash the urine out of it after each and every use. Urine causes the aluminum floor to corrode.

I searched forever for a trailer that met my needs but was not able to purchase a trailer without having the aluminum floor. I do not enjoy rinsing that floor.

Chicamux has it exactly.
    Last edited by kittykeno; Apr. 3, 2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: add info

I recently purchased a trailer, and I went back and forth on wood v. rumber for what seemed like forever! I didn't even consider aluminum because of all the horror stories I've heard about how hard it is to keep and how it wears down so quickly. I ended up choosing wood, and the reason for that is because I contacted a number of Hawk trailer dealers and asked what they recommended. The vast majority of them said wood, hands down. The reasoning behind that is that rumber, though it has treads, can be very slippery (even with shavings!). One dealer told me that he'd seen a number of injuries resulting from slippery rumber floors. That was enough for me to choose wood.

We put shavings over the rumber, just in case Tess decides to pee, and have never had an issue with her slipping.

I have no clue about what the Hawk dealer was speaking?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

The Rumber flooring is not smooth...actually roughened quite a bit....I don't think I could slide on it no matter what. It has excellent traction, far more than standard mats.

I have heard the Hawk dealers say that, but they are so wrong. Having owned 2 trailers that had rumber floors for over 10 years and being a person that regularly hauls, they are just wrong.

I rarely used shavings, but never had an issue with slipping. You will never have to replace a rumber floor. Wood requires maintenance and it will go bad and have to be replaced and there are the horror stories of horses going through a wood floor.

I've had aluminum with mats, rumber, and wood with mats. I never had an issue with the aluminum floor nor a wooden floor. I did however have issues with the rumber floor. I had a horse paw a rather sizeable groove into the rumber so had to put mats on top of it.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Default trailer floors

The climate you live in can have an effect on wood floors. Southern CA is very nice for wood floors. My last trailer lasted 19 years and it wasn't the floor condition that prompted me to sell it.

The floor was in absolutely beautiful condition and never needed anything. I cleaned the shavings out of it after every use but never lifted the mats and washed the floor. I washed the interior of the trailer maybe twice per year but never after every use.

Never had a trailer with a rumber floor. I would consider it a better option than aluminum floor for sure.

Ponygirl - are you sure it was rumber? rumber comes in very thick sheets (several inches thick) of rubber, can't imagine how a horse could paw a hole in it. WERM is a rubber coating that could have a hole open up in -maybe that's the type floor you had. But rumber usually comes with a 20 year warranty, so if that was the case it could have been repaired quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Heart's Journey View Post
    Ponygirl - are you sure it was rumber? rumber comes in very thick sheets (several inches thick) of rubber, can't imagine how a horse could paw a hole in it. WERM is a rubber coating that could have a hole open up in -maybe that's the type floor you had. But rumber usually comes with a 20 year warranty, so if that was the case it could have been repaired quite easily.
    100% positive it was rumber as I custom ordered the trailer from Hawk. My rumber floor came in planks much like boards, not sheets. I've actually never seen a rumber floor as a sheet. I'm very familiar with WERM flooring as well and no, I did not have WERM flooring.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

If ordering new, look at the warranties, too.

My manufacturer would gaurantee wood for life, rumber for around 20 yrs? Of course if you're not planning on keeping trailer that long it's a moot point, but it got me wondering why they wouldn't gaurantee rumber for life. I chose wood.

planks is a better word than sheets and they are quite thick as I saw them being installed on the 2nd trailer I had custome ordered.

I can't imagine anyone warranting a wood floor for life as they do have to be replaced as sadly wood doesn't last forever. A warranty is only good if the trailer manufacturer is still in business later on or if they will honor it, just ask all the owners of Sundowner trailers that had rust issues...

Go on www.horsetrailerworld.com and search threads on rumber and you will read about a ton of people who do serious trailering across the country and their feelings on types of floors. They are also happy with WERM though I don't have any experience with it.

But I also feel that whatever works for you, your budget, and maintenance on the trailer is critical for whatever you get.