The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tankless water heater question??

A thread on this earlier reminded me I wanted one. Desperately. And pulling Rory's mane this weekend made me reeeeally see how nasty he was.

So, DH agreed to set one up if I buy it. We'll be doing the portable set-up-on-a-dolly option, with the propane tank mounted below it. I looked at Eccotemp, but can't decide if the L10 or L5 is what we want??? The pictures for the L5 and the two reviews on the Web site seemed favorable for "showering," but the stated 1.3 gpm seems...weak at best. DH doesn't think it will be strong enough to rinse the soap off a horse, must less blast off mud. But the price is, admittedly, more attractive AND those dang pictures do show people showering and even has a picture of it next to a horse.

Those who have traveled this route before, discuss!!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Get the L10. The L5 is good, but the gpm will annoy you.

Annoy like I wish getting Pookie wet didn't take so long, or annoy like <throws nozzle> I give up, arctic cold water it is, I don't have all day to do your legs??

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Bump? Anyone? Want to buuuuuuuy.... <whine> Ponykins needs a bath.

Bumping this again. It doesn't look like the L10 is set up to be mounted on a dolly? It looks like the rest that mount to a wall?

Give yourself a visual.

Take a gallon container and figure out the water flow rate in your faucet for it to take you a minute to fill that container.

I am guessing you will find 1.3gpm very frustrating. Your kitchen faucet most likely flows at least 2.2 gpm.

If you can mount it to the wall you can make a back-board to mount it to a hand cart.

I considered the smaller one then got scared and went with overkill --- a 2 bedroom size tankless that is way more than I would ever need for a wash rack. That was stupid of me. Remember the gpm for the hot water side is just that, part of the water output, and you can also dial up the temp on it. You bathe horses with just warmish water, it's not like a human showering.

Take your hose with a nozzle attached, what you'd normally use (pressure wise) to bathe your horse. Fill a 5 gallon bucket and time it. That should give you an idea of how much gpm you truly need. So if you wind up with 5pm, then your hot water output should be roughly 1/2 of that, or 2.5 gpm-ish. You can adjust the hot water temp at the tank as needed. Mine is set at 122 or less.

Also, do yourself a favor and install a shower type control (the dial kind you use with one hand works great) with anti scald feature. I didn't and had to go back and do that because I could not get consistent warm water output.

PS, the tankless is the best investment I've ever made in my barn, hands down. It's funny how when you have hot water at your disposal, ALL your horses get used to daily hot mashes, LOL. It is a wonderful thing to give them on a winter night!

Watermark - how did you keep yours from freezing? It looks like I have to buy a new one as I believe it froze last year.

I ordered the L5. We shall do a test run when it gets here, but I think it'll work!!

Of course, I asked BO about where to store it and she said her DH purchased a water heater and just hasn't installed it yet. Whoops. Oh well, it can come home to bathe dogs or something.