The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recommendations for mare/foal board in Northern VA?

My mare isn't due until July, but I am trying to put together a short list of options. She will foal out at ERC in Amissville, and when the foal is ready (couple weeks old?), I plan to move her to a mare and foal friendly farm with good care--preferably close enough to enable me to visit frequently!

So far I am looking at a couple places that are an hour or so away, but if anyone knows of and can recommend someplace a bit closer to the Chantilly area, even better. (My present boarding facility--in Leesburg/Aldie, so only 30 minutes away from me--is not a good place for a foal, mare is turned out in a small, sparse, hilly pasture with two geldings.)

Since she is a maiden AND an extreme Alpha, I'm thinking that she and the foal should have a pasture to themselves, for the safety of the other mares (and foals.)

Robin at ERC is putting her thinking cap on for me and will call me back if she can find any local clients whose farms might be possibilities, but I thought I would post on here and pick the brains of the resident COTH experts

TIA!!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Patricia Ramey in Upperville on Rokeby Road just east of the Upperville Colt show grounds. 703-973-1140
    I can get there in 45 minutes from Oakton.
    She used to vet tech for a repro vet and breeds as well. She puts her hands on all the babies everyday. and watches them closely. I love that there aren't a lot of different people monitoring the babies. Just her. She manages each baby as an individual, by NEED, not by a schedule. Very small mom/baby groups. Usually two moms, sometimes three together. Depends upon the temperaments of all involved and the mix of fillies and colts. The hay is the best and mares have all they can consume. Your mare will not get thin there.
    My mare had 2 foals there and I still have three horses boarded there. I never worry about them. She's the best.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    Patricia Ramey in Upperville on Rokeby Road just east of the Upperville Colt show grounds. 703-973-1140
    I can get there in 45 minutes from Oakton.
    She used to vet tech for a repro vet and breeds as well. She puts her hands on all the babies everyday. and watches them closely. I love that there aren't a lot of different people monitoring the babies. Just her. She manages each baby as an individual, by NEED, not by a schedule. Very small mom/baby groups. Usually two moms, sometimes three together. Depends upon the temperaments of all involved and the mix of fillies and colts. The hay is the best and mares have all they can consume. Your mare will not get thin there.
    My mare had 2 foals there and I still have three horses boarded there. I never worry about them. She's the best.
    Thanks, Stacie, she sounds great; I don't suppose she has a website? (That would probably be at least 50 minutes from me, based on dreaded Rt. 50 traffic--maybe a little less during off hours.) Do you happen to know what she charges for board? Any private turnout situations available for bitchy Alpha mares?

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

By b.f.'s parents have a 5+ acre farm-ette in Fairfax Station, in the (former) Fairfax hunt country. Lovely place, good grass, cute little barn/shed/ring etc. Good fences. Self-care, though. Contact me if you want info.
    Last boarder (had a small riding school) left more than 6 months ago so the grass is excellent.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    By b.f.'s parents have a 5+ acre farm-ette in Fairfax Station, in the (former) Fairfax hunt country. Lovely place, good grass, cute little barn/shed/ring etc. Good fences. Self-care, though. Contact me if you want info.
    Last boarder (had a small riding school) left more than 6 months ago so the grass is excellent.
    Thanks, HR, I probably couldn't swing self-care (or lush grass!, she will be going from sparse pasture at the existing place, virtually NO grass!), to a dry lot to foal out. This will be a concern with where I keep them after foaling, and would tend to favor a place without ungrazed pasture, and a "12 in 12 out" schedule, at least at first; she will need to be gradually introduced to more grazing.

Poor mare, I don't want her to colic or founder!

Look into Elmington Farm - Kathie Hamlin. She is in Berryville. She does a bit of everything, but beautiful pastures, good groupings, great care, always a few mares and babies. She is 10 minutes from a great repro vet too. So far one of my mares has had 2 babies there and I never have a worry, (or anything to worry about).

I just wanted to ditto Stacie's recommendation.

Mr. SSR and I boarded with Patricia Ramey for years, both when she was at Stoke and now at Blue Ridge Farm. The care is EXCEPTIONAL. My mare & foal were there 3 days after birth (she foaled out at Laurel Inc), and he stayed until he left shortly before turning 3 to get started. The mare is still there in the retiree field. The next mare I breed will also go there shortly after she has the foal.

The broodmare barns at BRF are perfect, as the stalls are all 16'x16', with Dutch doors, and screen fronts so you can easily see in. Small paddock turn out, until the babies are old enough to go out in the mare/foal field. There, they have a REALLY good time together, LOL. The smaller paddocks are all very good sized, and the mare/foal field itself is about 35 acres, so there is plenty of room to run and romp, and the grass is lovely. Patricia is very hands-on, teaches them to lead, stand, gets them started with the farrier, etc. There are just no worries with her.

Yes, you can get private turnout. Her prices are very reasonable.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    I just wanted to ditto Stacie's recommendation.

Mr. SSR and I boarded with Patricia Ramey for years, both when she was at Stoke and now at Blue Ridge Farm. The care is EXCEPTIONAL. My mare & foal were there 3 days after birth (she foaled out at Laurel Inc), and he stayed until he left shortly before turning 3 to get started. The mare is still there in the retiree field. The next mare I breed will also go there shortly after she has the foal.

The broodmare barns at BRF are perfect, as the stalls are all 16'x16', with Dutch doors, and screen fronts so you can easily see in. Small paddock turn out, until the babies are old enough to go out in the mare/foal field. There, they have a REALLY good time together, LOL. The smaller paddocks are all very good sized, and the mare/foal field itself is about 35 acres, so there is plenty of room to run and romp, and the grass is lovely. Patricia is very hands-on, teaches them to lead, stand, gets them started with the farrier, etc. There are just no worries with her.

Yes, you can get private turnout. Her prices are very reasonable.
    Thanks, SSR! I'm going to PM you for the details