The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Did Poprocks cure your horse's ulcers, & now you've stopped using? Or so cheap, keep?

(Sorry if this has already been discussed).

Has anyone had Poprocks cure their horse's ulcers?
    Such as confirmed via scoping before, and then after treatment?
    Or treated an unscoped horse who responded positively to PR's for 30 days (as you would with GG or UG on a horse who truly has ulcers), and then took horse off PR's and horse is good to go?

No one?? From all of the posts about this stuff for ulcers I thought a bunch of people on this board were using it? Would like to think at least one person checked to see if ulcers were cured.

Lack of response after all the hype about this product would make me think this stuff just buffers acid and doesn't cure ulcers like GG or UG, which really is a bummer.

I think people are just sick of responding to pop rocks threads- it seems there are multiples every day.

I used the treatment dose, then tapered down to none over a week. Symptoms never returned. Now I only give them for travel.

Never scoped mine, used the BPR empirically for 2 horses: one recovering from surgery and on bute, confined to a stall and the other who was super anxious when I bought him and moved him to my farm.

In both cases the horses were fine--it was more of a pre-emptive move on my part (although the first horse definitely did display what you'd call "ulcer" behavior and that went away with BPR) and now I only use one packet with stressful situations (shipping, moving barns, anything more than a day's worth of bute, etc.)

Much as I'm a fan of pharmaceuticals, I absolutely don't use them unless there is a compelling need.
    Click here before you buy.

I didnt' respond because I didn't scope, treat with pop rocks, and then rescope to "make sure" they really did heal. But I believe a long while ago, when the interest in the pop rocks started, there was a very long thread about them and how effective the enteric coating was at protecting the omeprazole until it passed thru the stomach.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=293029

I believe there was a user on that thread who scoped, the horse DID have ulcers, and the person treated with just pop rocks, and then rescoped, and the ulcers were healed.

I used pop rocks on my mare AFTER I had treated her confirmed ulcers with UlcerGard (1 tube per day for 28 days) and then we rescoped and they were healed. I stopped the ULcerGard two days later. After 4 days wthout any ulcergard or other form of omeprazole, she started to get finicky about eating again; leaving a little bit in her dish. I had ordered the pop rocks, so I tossed 1 packet in her grain that night. She ate them right up. The following day, I tossed another packet in her dinner. by the next day (so 2 packets of pop rocks) she was back eating 100% of her feed, and has been since WITHOUT any pop rocks.

I use 1 packet of pop rocks during times of stress for BOTH my horses, even the one that does not have "confirmed" ulcers or any symptoms for that matter. I use them as a preventative on him because I don't want to deal with ulcers EVER AGAIN!

The day before an event, I administer 1 packet with dinner. THe day of the event, they get 1 packet, and they get 1 packet for the two days following. BOTH horses get this preventative routine. My gelding gets it when I trailer somewhere, and my mare gets it because she is at home internalizing her worry. She is hard to read...she acts all calm and cool, but the proof is in the pudding when she goes off feed if I don't use the pop rocks during stress.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider View Post
    No one?? From all of the posts about this stuff for ulcers I thought a bunch of people on this board were using it? Would like to think at least one person checked to see if ulcers were cured.

Lack of response after all the hype about this product would make me think this stuff just buffers acid and doesn't cure ulcers like GG or UG, which really is a bummer.
    The thread link that I posted will address this concern. It works EXACTLY like GG or UG, its just in granular form instead of a buffered paste. It is not a buffer, its still an acid pump inhibitor - that is what omeprazole is, and that is what the pop rocks are.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

"Cure" is the wrong word to use for ulcers. They come, they go, they can return again days, months, years later or never again. "Heal" is a better word, and although the body can and does heal ulcers all by itself, drugs like omeprazole definitely help by making the environment in the stomach more conducive to healing.

GastroGard, UlcerGard, and Pop Rocks are THE SAME DRUG.

As far as lack of response . . . good news is boring.
    Click here before you buy.

I didn't scope, but had my chiro/acupuncturist (also DVM for 25 years) do an acupressure check before and after treating with blue pop rocks. I'd read about scopes only seeing stomach ulcers, not hind gut, and the stress of fasting prior to scoping causing ulcers in the first place. Read a DVM-written article (racetrack vet) about acupressure to diagnose and opted for that. Horse responded to ALL stomach ulcers points prior to treating with pop rocks, and after treatment for full month plus gradual taper, horse responded to ZERO ulcer points in acupressure check. My horse gets ulcers in the fall, so I'll give preventative dose then to be safe. I'm also maintaining him on 2 tsp slippery elm bark powder, 5 tabs papaya enzyme, and 1/2 cup aloe juice, am and pm. And I feed 1 flake alfalfa, unlimited grass hay, both in slow feed nets when he's in. He gets 12 hours of turnout, weather permitting. He seems 100% fine now, but as others said, ulcers can and likely will be a lifelong battle. I definitely count blue pop rocks part of the arsenal now.