The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Broken Pelvis

So after probably the best arena work my lovely event horse and I have ever had... I mean he was spot on! Did everything I asked perfectl, was on the bit, light in his bridle, listening to me, my legs and seat.( he is an OTTB and has only been back in training since I bought him the last week of October 2011 and just came off stall rest after hock injections). So a ride like today is the treat after a lot of time and work. Shumaker is amazing and couldn't ask for better. So when it came to cooling him off after such a great ride, I figured a nice relaxing hack out was just the answer. He isn't usually spooky so I had no concerns. Well he did spooked and after the 3rd or 4th, rodeo worthy buck I was hitting tje ground. I tried to stand up and couldn't. A trip to the ER later I was told I have a broken pelvis. No surgery in my future but I'm in a ton of pain. And much to my dismay my doctor tells me it will be at least 6 weeks before my butt is in a saddle again!

So anyone else ever deal with this type of break before? And if so what advice do you have? I have never had anything broken and am having a very hard time dealing with not only the pain and dependency I now have on everyone since I can barely move enough to use this dang walker they gave , but the fact I can't even feed or muck stalls or lunge my two horses. And I have them at my own place so I have no one but the boyfriend to help. He can feed and turn out but lunging is out of the question lol

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I have never broken my pelvis but I have broken my ribs twice and my ankle once. The first time I broke my ribs, I was riding again in 2 weeks, and jumping in a month. Now that I am older, I take my time and try to enjoy the down time. I live by myself and have no boyfriend so it takes all my energy just to care for them when I am hurt. Sorry you are hurt...good luck with the healing...take care.

Default Ouw! That Really Hurts!

Please come over to the rehabbing rider's forum. You'll find kind and useful encouragement from cothers who have that experience.

I'm one of the founders of it. I broke my back and hyper- extended all of pelvic ligaments when I got hit by a deer while galloping my big DWB.

Some years later, one of my close friends was bucked off while riding with me. She broke her pelvis in several places, so I have experience in helping her through that injury.

Where do you live? There may be a cother near you.

Please feel free to p.m. me.

I hope that you have great drugs. If not, please wail loudly to get them. You will heal faster and better if your body isn't in adrenaline mode from pain.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Default I empathize!

laying here myself with a broken ankle and torn ligaments - and it didnt even happen when riding!! just walking along in a muddy pasture and slipped. having been through this before I would say to not worry about the horses being lunged - having someone to feed, do stalls and turn out is a god send! i feel bad for the person who has to try to do it by herself - wish I could help you out! right now i have mud caked horses and am trying to find someone to come do some grooming for me. i have barn help so that's not a worry, but the horses are a mess and will just have to stay that way for awhile! take your dr's advice - stay immobile as much as you can and dont worry about getting the horses worked - sounds like you have some nice ones and i am sure they will get back into the program once you are able! good luck and PM me if you need some encouragement.

Bastile- Thank you for the encouragement! I can't imagine having a broken bone AND torn ligaments! I am super lucky to have the boyfriend I do, he isn't as horsey as I am... he is only involved because I have them but he is great at feeding, cleaning stalls and turn out. The plus is he can groom too! ALthough his method is just give them a full out bath lol but it works! I've just always been super active and independent... so laying around is just not in my vocabulary lol

The two I have are great horses, the one that threw me is super athletic and hates not working so it's going to just as hard on him as it is on me the other one just goes with the flow... they will both definitely get back in the program I just feel bad they have to be off their programs for so long. Hoping my trainer can take them for a few weeks and keep them going.

I will definitely PM you! And please feel free to message me as well!

I agree about the turn-out. The more they move, the easier it will be to get them back in work. I learned from the endurance riders that the fitness will hold for 6 weeks, and that it is much easier to bring them back to that level. Can you leave them turned out all the time? That would mellow them and minimize the stall mucking. (I'm thinking of keeping the boyfriend happier during this time)

When you are comfortable hobbling out to see your horses, you could do some clicker training (operant conditioning) to get your horses total attention and bonding. It makes a world of difference in developing the trusting relationship you want for eventing. In the meantime, you can practice on the boyfriend..
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Whicker- Unfortunately Shumaker (the one that caused this lovely break lol) can't be outside 24/7. He spent three years racing and I am just now being able to get him to behave in the pasture for 5-6 hours without going into freak-out mode and jumping the fence! Which he has done 3 times now lol (one reason why I know he will make a great jumper, our fence is 5 1/2'!) The other horse of mine can be turned out just fine and prefers 24/7 turn out so hopefully that will work for him. I'm really hoping my trainer is able to make room and we can work something out for them to go to her for a few weeks. She has a student who has been dying to ride my 5 yr old Tunes (the well behaved one lol) and I am sure she can find someone brave enough to ride Shumaker. Not that they are nervous of him, more so of me since they know how much he means to me and what will happen if something happens to him, not that I think anything would, at least not intentionally.

Hahaha I have always thought about doing clicker training with my two, especially my younger one as I haven't had him as long and he has a bit of a standoffish personality. I doubt the bf would response nearly as well since when you click you give them a treat too? Ya the only thing he would work for is off limits right now to be totally polite about it and I can't cook so I'm definitely SOL there lol