The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help me with squeaky boots...

Seriously. My right book squeaks constantly while I'm riding! Mostly when I'm posting, which forces me to acknowledge my right lower leg is weak (thanks, bad knee!), but it can't JUST be my lower leg....could it?

Leather boots + Wintex webbers = SQUEAK. I'm riding in a clinic tomorrow, so a fast fix would be greatly appreciated so I don't drive my instructor crazy!!

TIA!

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Well...the only way to get past a squeaky boot on leather is to scuff the inside, where it touches the saddle, VERY well. Never, never, never polish the inside of your boots. Do not take them to a shoe place to have them polished, they will always polish the inside. You need to rough up the finish on the inside to stop the squeak. I usually just never polish the inside edges near the saddle. I let them go. I clean them, but never polish them. And when I clean them, usually it's with a dulling soap in that stop, like Castille or even glycerin. It keeps them from getting a polished finish on them and helps stop the squeak.

It might take a while. I'm doubting you'll get it fixed by tomorrow, but you can take your mud/stiff brush for your horse and brush up that spot on the boot to see if that helps. You might also want to scuff the leathers a bit, too. he other thing is, if you ride in a Wintec saddle, or use their rubber (webbers are typically leather) stirrup leathers, you'll get a LOT more squeak, and sometimes it is just a matter of degrees rather than ever fully eliminating it.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Saddle-Tite will stop it temporarily. If you can't find some before the clinic, take a moistened bar of saddle soap and rub it on the inside of the boot. Really cake it on.

Rub your saddle flap with a dry glycerine saddle soap bar. The boots will stop squeeking and its good for the saddle.

Such a simple trick got it from Scott Hassler after I got new boots a few months ago and they were driving me crazy with the squeek.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Yuck. Avoid Saddle Tite at all costs! It gums up saddles and boots and NEVER comes off. That stuff is a nightmare.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"