The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Abandonded puppies need homes in NH/MA

My trainer who is in Aiken for the winter found a mother dog and her 7 female puppies abandoned next to her farm. The pups are approximately 6 -7 weeks old. My friend and I brought 2 back to NH on the plane. She is keeping one - I can only foster this one until it finds a GOOD home. 5 more puppies, and I believe the mother, will be coming north mid-April.

The mother is a medium-sized, short haired, tan dog with a black face. The pups all look like her. We don't know who the daddy is or what he looks like.

The puppy that is here now has seen the vet and had first shots. They are all really really cute and need homes.

Please help get the word out, and consider if you could give a pup a good home. One is available now, and they will all be in Southern NH by April 15.

Thanks!

Default Any of these pups still looking for homes?

Hi, I'm in Northern MA and could spread the word if they still need homes. Small chance I may be able to take one but not sure. Anyway, like I said, let me know if you're still trying to find homes for any of them and I'll put the word out!

Default All are spoken for!

Thanks for the response - they ALL found good homes.

While I applaud your efforts, please realize that in most New England states puppies are required to be 56 days of age and vaccinated for distemper prior to being brought in to the state. I'm not trying to be a witch, it's just that I've had to be the veterinarian euthanizing over a dozen puppies in the past 12 months because of distemper and all were brought in to Maine and NH with careless disregard for the regulations. No veterinarian should have signed a health certificates for puppies that young to get on a plane. This is an issue that many states are taking a closer look at