The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Boarding barns around Newtown/Southbury CT?

Hello All

New to the forum, a Canuck who is moving to Newtown, CT this summer. Starting the fairly daunting task of looking for boarding facilities. Have a 6 year old jumper mare, but not looking for a showing/training barn to start, just looking for a safe boarding facility with GREAT CARE.

Headed into a job that will keep me away from the barn more than I would like, so somewhere I can trust my horse will be cared for is crucial. Hoping for somewhere with all day turnout in safe fencing (small groups ok) and excellent hay (no round bales). Outdoor ring with good footing a must, an indoor would be ideal but again looking for care first and foremost.

The rub? I have got to stay in the under $1000/month price range. I'm not at all familiar with the area so I don't know if this is an impossible task or not! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

e-mail is non-panglossian "at" hotmail.com

Thanks in advance

Its going to be hard to find something in the Newtown area under 1K but you can try Huntingtown Farm in Newtown - they have lovely turnout and two outdoor arenas but no indoor, I think they're around $ 800 a month.

You can also try Sea Horse Stables - they are also in Newtown. They have good care, decent but not all day turnout, an enormous outdoor and an indoor and are around $ 1500.

Also, not sure about the Southbury area but you can probably find something a bit less expensive up there....

North and east will be cheaper than south and west.

If you are on Facebook, check out the CT Boarding Farms or CT Horsey Folk groups - lots of helpful people in both groups who can help you with your search.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/CTboarding/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/cthorseyfolk/
    Equine Web Design & Marketing
    designequine.org

Also, find listings in http://www.justhorses.com

You can search through and find that area - woodbury is right next to southbury. If you have questions on areas and proximities, I can help you but don't know the qualities of the specific stables. But from that link you can find a good list of places to investigate.

edtted to add - that first facebook page mentioned above has some current folks looking for boarders in southbury/woodbury. Mountain Valley is the only place I know of in that area, used to show there as a kid. Currentlyon that facebook page with indoor at 750 a month, sounds like a good possiblitity. I remember them having a fantastic outside course. The important thing to rememer about Newtown and southbury is they are on the I-84 corridor - a major highway/interstate, so it will be easy to get to MV from Newtown.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

I also can endorse SeaHorse.

Try Willow Creek in Southbury as well. Feel free to PM me about any others you may come across.

I also know a woman who may have a stall in the $825 ballpark, but no arena, just trails and fits most of your other criteria. Very very good care, her focus is mostly retirees or layups, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find better for the price in the neighborhood.

Thanks for all the suggestions/places to look - I'm not at all familiar with the area so even just suggestions of nearby towns to look is great. Thanks so much for everything so far!

Anyone had any experience with Equi-Tree in Woodbury or Brushy Hill? Feel free to PM or e-mail if you would rather not post on here.

Thanks again

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

PM sent!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina