I finally hooked up (added a charger and ground rods) to the existing electric fence. It's a rope type fence with metal braided through it. Not sure of the brand. It worked ok. Is prefer a stronger zap but I think this will do for now. The fencer says its 2 joules.
Last night it rained and this morning I've got a few spots on the fence where its snapping loudly and you can see a spark. It also looks like its actually burning the rope part of the fence where its sparking. Some parts where its sparking look a bit rusty. Could it be the rust causing this? I unplugged the whole thing. Any ideas?