The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Electric fence snapping.

I finally hooked up (added a charger and ground rods) to the existing electric fence. It's a rope type fence with metal braided through it. Not sure of the brand. It worked ok. Is prefer a stronger zap but I think this will do for now. The fencer says its 2 joules.

Last night it rained and this morning I've got a few spots on the fence where its snapping loudly and you can see a spark. It also looks like its actually burning the rope part of the fence where its sparking. Some parts where its sparking look a bit rusty. Could it be the rust causing this? I unplugged the whole thing. Any ideas?
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Snapping is it arching. Is fencing touching some metal on the posts or such in those places?

If the wire in the rope has broken, it will arc across the broken spot. This will weaken the strength of the charge on the fence.

If it is the polyrope fence, you cannot use a continuous charge on it. It has to be a pulsating charge or it will burn up the rope!

Quote Originally Posted by babyeventer23 View Post
    If it is the polyrope fence, you cannot use a continuous charge on it. It has to be a pulsating charge or it will burn up the rope!
    I'm pretty sure its a pulse.
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

As noted you've got some grounds and arcing.

If the rope is clear of the posts and other metal objects you've got breaks in the wires woven into the rope. I don't think these can be fixed. You'll need to replace the rope or accept the arcing (and reduced fence effectivness).

Folks forget that rope ages and, in areas of freeze and thaw (whick cause the rope to contract and streatch) it's rather easy to break the internal wires. So it needs to be replaced on a regular basis (although frequency can vary).

This is also a problem of "tape" fences.

Replace the rope and you'll likely solve the problem.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Good points Guilherme. I find my tape fencing breaks the wires near where it runs thru the insulators.

If the fence is not grounding on posts or vegetation, I have had good luck either jumping the broken area or splicing in a new section with these.

http://www.jefferspet.com/product.as...rkw=Rope+Clamp

Lightning took out most of our electric fence last year and we replaced it with 4 board oak. I do not miss it or the constant maintenance one bit.

Default electric fencing

My fence was popping last night and I went and found a snail had crawled (and fried) onto the insulator. Removed the snail and no problem.