The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Coat colors...c'mon...we can wear colors now, right?

So I know that we are now (as of last year I believe) allowed to wear a Dressage coat in a color other than black or dark blue. Last year when I read this, I was so excited. Finally!!! Something other than a black coat. Mind you, I wasn't planning on going out into the ring in a mauve coat with pink flowers, but I was over the moon to be able to finally wear my hunter green coat with my white breeches. So I go to the fancy, recognized Dressage show only to be dismayed by the fact that no one else (read: NO ONE) wore anything other than a black coat. The entire weekend. I proudly showed in my hunter green, but I must admit, by the last day I gave in and went back to basic black.

So what gives? I get that especially in Dressage, tradition is everything. But c'mon guys....I can't be the only one jonesing for a little diversity, right??? I also have a GORGEOUS tan coat to wear with my white breeches, but I fear that it will end up at the back of my closet soon.
    Anyone have any input? Am I to be the only trendsetter?

I think there are several reasons. People don't want to stand out. People are afraid to do something different. People don't want to buy new coats when they have prefectly good ones already. I'm sorry you "gave in" the last day. There was no reason to do that.
    Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and rapist of children! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

I'm in for the colour. I haven't worn a black coat in yeeeaaars.

My upper level guy shows in grey
    http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...42675287_n.jpg

My young FEI horse in blue (it's not navy, brighter!)
    http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...75099219_n.jpg

And my other youngster (who also events) in BROWN - I just found brown boots too... now I just need to find slightly lighter breeches...
    http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...94742013_n.jpg
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...35930964_n.jpg

I always get lots of compliments on my turnout.
    GO COLOURS!

Do you have pictures of your green? Love to see that! Just remember, someone has to be the trendsetters, someone has to go first. Proudly rock out in your colours. The trends will never change if a few people don't go first.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

I'm waiting to lose a few more pounds and then I'm going to get a new coat, maybe in dark maroon which I think would look great on my grey. Don't despair, people will start changing the next time they have to buy a coat!

I don't show and have no plans to start anytime soon but if I did I would love to get a dark green coat. I'm proud of my IRISH draught sport horse
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I desperately want to rock a coat that is colored, but I'm not sure that I will because basic black looks really good on my buckskin! Maybe I could just try to find a coat with a colored collar or piping...
    "Promote what you believe instead of bashing what you hate."

Five year olds are fun!

Personally, I look best in black (of the common colors.. I also look great in cherry red and in yellow) and so I'm sticking with it It's one of the few colors I don't look dreadful in.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!

Would LOVE a more creative color for showing, but won't likely go there - its a $$$ question. Have a prefectly good show coat for our current work; a lightly worn shadbelly that will hopefully come out of the closet next fall. So why buy another when $$ better used elsewhere?

Now lets talk about the also lightly worn TOP HAT that cost me more than either of the above and for which there is likely a fast-shrinking secondary market. Depressing that it may stay in a box in the closet forever...
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Sabovee, your blue coat is gorgeous!! where did you get it? what brand?

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by fargonefarm View Post
    So I know that we are now (as of last year I believe) allowed to wear a Dressage coat in a color other than black or dark blue. Last year when I read this, I was so excited. Finally!!! Something other than a black coat. Mind you, I wasn't planning on going out into the ring in a mauve coat with pink flowers, but I was over the moon to be able to finally wear my hunter green coat with my white breeches. So I go to the fancy, recognized Dressage show only to be dismayed by the fact that no one else (read: NO ONE) wore anything other than a black coat. The entire weekend. I proudly showed in my hunter green, but I must admit, by the last day I gave in and went back to basic black.

So what gives? I get that especially in Dressage, tradition is everything. But c'mon guys....I can't be the only one jonesing for a little diversity, right??? I also have a GORGEOUS tan coat to wear with my white breeches, but I fear that it will end up at the back of my closet soon.
    Anyone have any input? Am I to be the only trendsetter?
    You aren't a trendsetter if you give in to peer pressure!!!!

Wear it ALL the time. Never give up, never surrender!

Those of use with different color coats need to keep sporting them at shows to buck the trend, and set a new standard. People WILL come around, but you do realize that most are lemmings, right? You need to challenge the status quo. Keep at it!
    "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Where do you guys find these coats in such great colors?
    Barn rat for life

I think we will start seeing a lot more colors in about another year or so. I certainly did not rush right out and buy a new coat when I have a perfectly good black one in the closet. I believe most people are waiting until their current coat is no longer show quality before they purchase a new coat. I am definitely going with grey!!!

If someone will find me a source for a dark plum coat, I will rock it with pride!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Where do you guys find these coats in such great colors?
    I had to do a custom order on my burgundy one. Not cheap, but on par with the high end coats. It was made in Germany, but even so, I was disappointed with the quality. I don't have it right now--the poor quality in the tailoring (it was custom, afterall) was bugging me too much. I picked up a boring black one that fit perfectly and wasn't custom. I gave in to my pocket book! I'm ready to get another one of a different color, or to go with a hunt coat of a different color and just wear that. I really don't like wearing black and white.
    "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

To the OP, I think it varies a bit depending on your area. Don't give in to peer pressure, start the trend in your area. I love all the new colors!

Sabovee- I love the grey coat. What brand is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Yes! Please do tell! My bay mare would look LOVELY if I wore a grey coat...and we need all the help we can get!

Would a grey coat look silly on a Rose Grey horse? I'm debating.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Sabovee I love all of them (especially the gray) but the brown would look best on my red head!

Of course since I own 2 black coats (one for the fat me one for the skinnier me) I'll probably stay in black.
    Now in Kentucky

I have a nice black nearly new coat and cannot afford a new colored coat, so I'll just keep wearing what I have.

If I had a fashion budget, I would definitely go for something snazzier.