The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ugh-ADHD reins slipping!

Anyone have ideas to help this!? It is so hard to manage my ADHD, and I am finally getting a grip on it when riding in many ways. But I still let the reins slip through my hands-my attention goes elsewhere. Any ideas? I have used tape, colored reins, and have just starting wearing gloves too-but I still slip!

Adaptive reins with loops?

I have used and like rubber-woven reins with leather stops.

Have you tried bridging the reins? Tying a knot in them?

Good you're wearing gloves -- I wouldn't ride without them. There are many new materials for gloves now that are tacky but thin for a nice feel on the reins. Perhaps your gloves are too slippery?

We all slip the reins from time to time -- readjusting the reins is normal both in and between gaits, stretchy sessions, walk breaks.

Thanks. The gloves are brand new, so they are pretty sticky. I do have the web reins with stoppers. Bridging or tieing them sound like good ideas. Thanks again!

I have a problem with slipping my reins as well. My horse is 17.2 and has a loooooooong neck. He's a master at gradually getting the reins away from me!! My biggest problem is that instead of giving and softening to him with my shoulder and elbow, I was opening my fingers on the reins. And before I knew it, my reins were about 8 inches too long. So my suggestion is to really try to focus on keeping your fingers closed (especially your thumb) on the reins.

I have this problem too! I look forward to hearing more suggestions. I use the soft rubber eventa reins and seem to do a little better gloveless.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

The reins with loops.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Putting rubber rein stops at about where you need to hold the reins, and then placing your hands right in front of them (so your hands are closer to the bit than the stops) should help. If you try to let the reins slide, you will hit against the rein stops. Yes, they will move if you push against them too hard, but most new ones are fairly tight on the reins and at the very least they will give you a reminder to keep your hands in a certain place.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Have you ever tried the ThinLine reins? They're a little thicker and don't get slippery with sweat, but they're squishy so they don't feel too bulky either. Maybe combine those with a little colored tape at about where you know you generally want to keep them, so you can do a quick glance check in to make sure you're not letting them get too long.

I have a set of rubber reins that also have stops in them that help my tendency to either slip the reins... works great!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

It has nothing to do with the (type of) reins, or even closing the hands. It has to do with the thumb being closed onto the forefinger as well as the upper arms hanging vertically. If those things are in effect/alignment the 'seat works' rather than the hand. It is part of learning good equitation.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    It has nothing to do with the (type of) reins, or even closing the hands. It has to do with the thumb being closed onto the forefinger as well as the upper arms hanging vertically. If those things are in effect/alignment the 'seat works' rather than the hand. It is part of learning good equitation.
    I will try to put more focus on these things.

Thanks everyone!

Ideoda is two for two today

The reins slipping will often show tension from the shoulder all of the way down... Frozen forward hand that is afraid of pulling but it needs to move as a unit... the eblow creak creak creak with a strong closed hand around the rein find your suppleness in the elbow rather than you fingers

I used it do it bad then it just went away when I worked on my elbows consciously ... Think of it like a puzzle... Elbows today ... ankles tommorow
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Ideoda is two for two today

The reins slipping will often show tension from the shoulder all of the way down... Frozen forward hand that is afraid of pulling but it needs to move as a unit... the eblow creak creak creak with a strong closed hand around the rein find your suppleness in the elbow rather than you fingers

I used it do it bad then it just went away when I worked on my elbows consciously ... Think of it like a puzzle... Elbows today ... ankles tommorow
    Interesting!!

It was definitely better today. Focused on arms/elbows. Thanks!